PDA

View Full Version : Game rules?

Jackswild
10-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm fairly new to D&D and newer yet to DDO. I've played some games like KotOR and KotOR2 in the past. I'm not completely new the rules of the game, but I know little. What I'm wondering is where I can find the rules that this game uses. I've been all over the site and I've Googled around a bit. No luck thus far.

The best I've found so far is that this game is based on the D&D 3.5 ruleset or something (though not completely following it either)...and it was suggested that I buy 3 books. I'm not sure I want to pay for this game yet. I'm certainly not interested in buying books to figure out how the game works.

Are there any free (and legal) ways to find out how THIS game works?

Lorien_the_First_One
10-03-2009, 01:20 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide
the manual installed with the game
the compendium you can find at the top of the forum page

Jackswild
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Ahh. That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I was trying to find. THANK YOU!

Dungnmaster001
10-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Also if you want to find out about the 3.5 rules this game was based on without buying the books, much of it is available at www.d20srd.org. This has about 80-90% of the core rules of the game. Some things were left out due to copyrights but a lot of it is free due to the Open Gaming License it was published under. DDO has made some changes to fit these rules into a real-time MMO setting but the core of the system is still there.

Jackswild
10-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Ahh. Nice! I've taken a quick look at the site and it look like that'll be very useful. I've already learned several things from the basic Combat Statistics page.

DoctorWhofan
10-03-2009, 03:52 PM
KotOR is 3.0 rules, btw. close enough to get a basic feel of this game.

Brennie
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
KotOR is 3.0 rules, btw. close enough to get a basic feel of this game.

What level does my paladin get Force Jump? And i still can't find the lightsaber crystals to upgrade this everbright longsword...

Lorien_the_First_One
10-03-2009, 05:37 PM
What level does my paladin get Force Jump? And i still can't find the lightsaber crystals to upgrade this everbright longsword...

You have to wait for them to add artificers

DoctorWhofan
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM

I SAID close enough to the RULES. THe content is differenent. Stop picking on me!