PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many barriers to my giving you money?

xendaths
10-02-2009, 11:08 PM
My children are playing DDO. I would like to not have to enter my payment information into their accounts. I would much rather enter the information on my account and send them to their user accounts. From reading the forum, I understand that I cannot buy points via the website (which is highly annoying) & I do not see a way to buy the points and send them to my children, which is also annoying.

I have four children, all of whom are going to be wanting to buy these upgrades. I am reticent about it now. My having to enter the information into each account really restricts my desire to make these purchases.

Asketes
10-02-2009, 11:11 PM
here check this out

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=181819

i've paid for a month for a friend, and have purchased points for people before. takes about 3-4 business days to go through each time. you can probably set it up as a recurring charge.

hope this helps

Lifespawn
10-03-2009, 04:30 PM
My children are playing DDO. I would like to not have to enter my payment information into their accounts. I would much rather enter the information on my account and send them to their user accounts. From reading the forum, I understand that I cannot buy points via the website (which is highly annoying) & I do not see a way to buy the points and send them to my children, which is also annoying.

I have four children, all of whom are going to be wanting to buy these upgrades. I am reticent about it now. My having to enter the information into each account really restricts my desire to make these purchases.

being able to purchase points would open the way to favor farmers that would sell points for money thereby defeating the purpose of the store

Timothea
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM
One option might be to get a pre-paid Mastercard or Visa for each child's account. The cards are widely available and it's easy to add additional dollars to them when desired.

xendaths
10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
One option might be to get a pre-paid Mastercard or Visa for each child's account. The cards are widely available and it's easy to add additional dollars to them when desired.

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I cringe at the idea of giving an 8 year old a credit card. The only real workaround seems to me to use Paypal which would reqire me to enter my password for each purpose. Far from ideal, more work for me, but it will have to do.

xendaths
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
being able to purchase points would open the way to favor farmers that would sell points for money thereby defeating the purpose of the store

Oh yeah, I forget there are people who don't receive pleasure from actually playing a game but instead by compensating for their small p*n*s.

Lifespawn
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh yeah, I forget there are people who don't receive pleasure from actually playing a game but instead by compensating for their small p*n*s.

not sure what you mean by this either a stab at me or a random statment.

Either way it has no bearing on what you were asking or what i gave you as a reason why the process might be the way it is.

xendaths
10-04-2009, 11:16 PM
not sure what you mean by this either a stab at me or a random statment.

Either way it has no bearing on what you were asking or what i gave you as a reason why the process might be the way it is.

It was a stab at people who buy things from farmers. Which create the farmers & thus necessitate the safeguards that make it more difficult to giver my children money to buy the options they want. Why would I be taking a stab at you?

Lifespawn
10-05-2009, 04:23 AM
It was a stab at people who buy things from farmers. Which create the farmers & thus necessitate the safeguards that make it more difficult to giver my children money to buy the options they want. Why would I be taking a stab at you?

well because farmers are employed to do what they do it's a job to them not just an epeen thing.

xendaths
10-05-2009, 10:15 AM
well because farmers are employed to do what they do it's a job to them not just an epeen thing.

No, however the people buying from the farmers are. They want to have buff characters to brag about rather than have fun playing the game. To them, the game is secondary, the purpose of playing is to have a character to give them the praise that they are most likely lacking in the real world.

Xenus_Paradox
10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I cringe at the idea of giving an 8 year old a credit card. The only real workaround seems to me to use Paypal which would reqire me to enter my password for each purpose. Far from ideal, more work for me, but it will have to do.

They are not credit cards, they are debit cards. Just like a Best Buy gift card, but good for anything. Once the card reaches a preset limit, it is unusable until it is recharged.

In other words, you pay 20 bucks for a card, it has 20 bucks on it. Once the 20 bucks are spent, it cannot be used for any further purchases unless you put more money into it.

Deusxmachina
10-10-2009, 07:01 PM
No, however the people buying from the farmers are. They want to have buff characters to brag about rather than have fun playing the game. To them, the game is secondary, the purpose of playing is to have a character to give them the praise that they are most likely lacking in the real world.

Wow.

Some people have more money than time. Some people don't like to grind for hours. Some people want to explore the game and don't care about fighting constantly, so they want a strong character so fights go quickly and aren't such a nuisance and to not die all the time. Some people want buff characters that have everything because they like making "perfect" characters. Some people play games in god mode just to see the environment and story.

There are different ways to play the same game. It's not a PVP game, so buying uber items only goes so far anyway.

SeraphWings
10-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I am also a parent that plays the game and also would like to buy some points for my kid. I don't want to put in my credit card information, because it appears that the store "stores" that information, and I don't like that. I am more than happy to use my paypal account and simply log into his account to get his points for him, except it won't allow me to use my paypal account for more than one account (his and mine).

I've emailed Turbine about this, but I haven't gotten any reply yet. I sincerely hope that they will consider allowing parents a way to do this for their children. I would be willing for them to verify the email address or heck, they could easily verify the IP addresses or our respective accounts.

I understand why they want to avoid the issue of gold farmers, but they also need to consider people in our situations who want to buy points for ourselves and our children, and aren't comfortable putting our CC information into the store, or worse yet, telling your cc information to an unknown entity on the phone (giving that information over the phone to a person is NOT a secure manner of handling your CC info).

I am hopeful that Turbine has customer service people that monitor these boards to see how many people are having issues with this.

xendaths
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh. I didn't know that. So my Paypal Account is now bound to my son's account?

MysterX
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
They are not credit cards, they are debit cards. Just like a Best Buy gift card, but good for anything. Once the card reaches a preset limit, it is unusable until it is recharged.

In other words, you pay 20 bucks for a card, it has 20 bucks on it. Once the 20 bucks are spent, it cannot be used for any further purchases unless you put more money into it.

Here is a problem I ran into with Gift Cards (that fits the theme of the original post).

I had a $50 Visa Gift Card.
I wanted to purchase the deal Turbine had of 5000 points for $49.99

Should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, the online merchant does a "validity test" charge of $1.00 against the Gift Card.
This lowers the active balance on the card to $49.00.
It then seems to fail to process the order for $49.99.

I thought other merchants would subtract one dollar from the billing amount to compensate for the validity test, but as far as I can tell this one dollar charge was preventing me from using the Gift Card online, even though it had enough money preloaded.

SeraphWings
10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Here is a problem I ran into with Gift Cards (that fits the theme of the original post).

I had a $50 Visa Gift Card.
I wanted to purchase the deal Turbine had of 5000 points for $49.99

Should be easy, right?

Unfortunately, the online merchant does a "validity test" charge of $1.00 against the Gift Card.
This lowers the active balance on the card to $49.00.
It then seems to fail to process the order for $49.99.

I thought other merchants would subtract one dollar from the billing amount to compensate for the validity test, but as far as I can tell this one dollar charge was preventing me from using the Gift Card online, even though it had enough money preloaded.

The other issue with pre-paid credit cards or gift cards is that they cost more than just the money you "install" on them, so that buying 49.99 worth of turbine points ends up costing you more that that.

My son and I also tried setting up a paypal account for him today. I sent him 24 dollars so he could get 18.99 dollars worth of turbine points. However, it appears that because the account isn't linked to a checking account, he still can't use the money to buy the points.

And so far customer service hasn't even sent me one of those robo "we have gotten your email and will reply within x number of hours" emails that usually are sent out.

This is tremendously disappointing.

ETA: Ok, so I was able to create a Student Account for him at Paypal, and he successfully used money I transfered to it to get his points. Now he's cruising around with a wicked cool Warforged.

To make the student account, your kid has to have an email address, and you do it from your paypal account.

So that's a solution.

HumanJHawkins
10-15-2009, 02:06 AM

Bah. All they would have to do is allow you to buy points for another account directly from the store. As long as there was no mechanism to give points (other than at the time of purchase) this would not be an opening for plat farmer types.

burkoJames
10-18-2009, 08:18 PM

Turbine points CAN be bought, just not for others. So there is no seconary market. And as post 2 mentions, you CAN buy gifts to others, at stadard prices. I see no way a seconary market on Turbine Points could develop, considering you cannot transfer them (therefore, no favor grinding for points to sell).