PDA

View Full Version : XP/Loot Potion timers should run only in instances

pjw
10-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I put a similar thread in 'General' before I realized it should more properly go here. My preferred solution would be that the timer only ran in instances, but the suggested list (including my own and some new ones) is:

- timer only run in instances
- timer run for a number of quests/chests
- timer to run for a 'number of XP'; ie. 20% bonus on the next 100,000 xp

My rationale for this is as follows: I've bought a few now, and I would guess that at least half of the total "3 hours" or "6 Hours" was wasted waiting for groups, selling, changing groups etc etc.

I don't think it's likely I'll buy more unless the timer only runs when I am in an instance.

Yes, I could plan my time in DDO with military precision, but a very positive part of the game is the social aspect. That, and the fact that getting groups can be frustrating already without being "on a timer" means that these XP/Loot Boost items decrease my enjoyment of the game overall.

As an example, let's suppose my FvS/healer has swallowed a potion and there is a group looking to run a quest that needs a healer. My FvS could join the group (making it more attractive to others since it has a healer), and wait idly as his timer runs down, or I could log in another char as a 'placeholder' making the group look odd. Or I could log in another char and wait for the group to fill having sent a tell to say "I'll join when you fill", which always looks greedy and lazy.

BLAKROC
10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
no they shouldn't! do all the other buffs you get only run in instances?

we are actually kinda lucky that we have them available to use.

pjw
10-02-2009, 11:47 PM
no they shouldn't! do all the other buffs you get only run in instances?.

There is a logical problem here -- they are only very superficially the same thing as normal buffs, or even stat buffs.

The other buffs function *and are useful* throughout a quest (in every fight or trap). Also, they cost GOLD not $$$. The XP/Loot buffs are useful predominatly on end-chests and end-XP (yes, there are some exceptions, but mostly it's the end-quest stuff).

I'd be happy with another alternative: make them cheaper and make them 30 min like House P buffs. They will (likely) last one quest, like house P buffs. Or even make then once-off, lasting 5 mins.

CrimsonEagle
10-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Signed.

I agree. Something should be done.

At least when we get the house buffs, we can time it so that we are going to be in the quest in a min or two. Just buff up when we are ready.

With the xp and loot potions, we can drink one just before a quest, finish the quest, have a couple other things we want to do yet the time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future....errr....yeah, you know what I mean. Seems like such a waste.

Hope we see somthing in the near future if it is an easy fix. If not then I guess we may have to deal with it. I'll still use em, but the change you mention would sure be nice.....

pjw
10-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Signed....Hope we see somthing in the near future if it is an easy fix....

Probably the easiest fix that I would be happy with would be to turn the '6 Hour' buffs to a pack of 10x30 min buffs. Basically equates to 10 quests.

Letrii
10-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Make them cheaper and click when you enter quest and it functions for that one run, no actual timer for it.

Drwaz99
10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately fixing this would drastically reduce the amount of sales and I expect that they are the highest, if not in the top 3 items purchased.

I agree with all the proposed changes as it does frequently take some time to get a group together even during peak times. Off Peak times can easily take more than 30mins.

*Crosses fingers*

nastysasquatch
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM
i completely agree with this. i keep purchasing these jewels of fortune. i keep filling my inventory. then wasting half the jewel while i sell stuff. If they dont want to change how the timer works add a +30 buff to my haggle score so that the 30 mintues i spend selling isnt wasting 30 minutes of my loot boost.