PDA

View Full Version : Arguments in favor of bound-to-account collectible bags

NobbynobLittlun
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm sure the thinking with these being bound-to-character is that players would buy one large bag, and simply transfer it from alt to alt through the shared bank slot instead of buying a collectible bag on each... but consider this from the player perspective.

You roll a few characters, you play them for a few levels, and you take a real liking to that one special character. That character is now your main, the one you focus on, the one you're always thinking about how to advance... then you find out about this thing where you eventually unlock the ability to create a character with 32 stat points. While it's an option for people to ignore this and continue advancing that main character, they can't deny that its potential will never be that of a 32-point-stat char. More often than not, they reroll that main character - perhaps exactly the same as the one they had already been playing.

To this kind of player, rerolling that 32point char is really a continuation of the one they were just playing. In addition the old version is now obsolete. However, their is a discontinuity here - DDO Store-bought containers will not follow to the new character.

Since these large bags free up so much inventory space that they easily account for another general inventory bag, they are a major feature of your account. Note - account, not character. Making the bag bound-to-character rather than account does not mean I'm going to buy more collectible bags for all my silly alts. It simply means that instead of transferring a collectible bag through the shared bank, I would take all of the collectibles I had gathered that day on an alt, and transfer them through the bank - sans the bag - to the one who has the large collectibles bag. A small collectibles bag on each alt is sufficient for this.

This is not me being a cheapskate. There are a great many collectibles, and a great many collectors. It only makes sense to collate the items onto one character who does all the turn-ins; the time I save running from collector to collector doing this more than makes up for the time it takes to transfer those collectibles through the shared bank.

So really, I have every reason not to buy a bigger collectibles bag on each character. However, since , I think it's perfectly reasonable that I should be able to retain that bag I paid for on my centerpiece character; even if that centerpiece changes from "Nobbynob Littlun the 28-pt rogue" to "Noobynoob Littlun the 32-pt rogue".

P.S. On another subject I think this business model is generally for awesome for us end-users, and I hope you guys make some money off it so that it catches on in future MMOs ^_~

Keldain
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
/sign

Totally agree on post and the PS.

I think they did have one up when I first returned, but didnt have the points yet. Why buy points when I will be getting 500 i wont need for anything else for having a VIP account. If they brought it back, I would happily pay the points now.

I am not trying to be cheap, but as much as i like the free rewards for collectables, they burn a lot of space and time on a lot of characters. Easily 1 hours each day.

My temporary solution is to use the shared bank to offload them to one of my banking toons. I want to be able to offload them from all of my toons into one shared bank slot, that I can then pull out occasionally to do turn-ins. Why make 10 loops for turnins when i can do one? Instead I am doing the shared bank shuffle with up to 8 relogs to get it all transfered.

If I played one "main" it would be less of an issue, but I switch toons based on group needs, so may play a dif toon, or several toons on any given day. As OP said, if I did pay 600 points, then switch mains, I would be out of luck anyway...

sirgog
10-20-2009, 01:41 AM
I have no intentions of buying BtC bags; BtA bags I might consider. That's my feedback.

Autolycus
10-20-2009, 06:05 AM
I agree with Sirgog. I have no intentions of buying BtC bags; BtA bags I might consider. That's my feedback.

Hokonoso
10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
i bought the huge collectables bag when store came out for 595 points and it is bound to account so i'm super lucky :P

i'd never buy one now that they are bound to character, these are great as i can just leave it in the shared bank tab and put loads and loads of things in it. only bad part is, having had it for a while now im reaching my 1000 limit on some collectables and have to use them or sell them :/

shaolaolint
10-25-2009, 05:52 AM
I agree this is exactly what I just ranted about.

Spookyaction
10-25-2009, 07:50 AM
There was a pretty serious bug with those bags i guess fixing it was difficult so they just stopped selling them that way.

shaolaolint
10-27-2009, 04:52 AM
Bug? Doubtful. I think they want money over customer satisfaction. It just sucks you can't do ANYTHING with it if it loses usefulness or the character does (ex. Sale, barter etc. )

Ereshkigal
10-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a set of the huge bags I purchased when they were BTA. If I had known they were changing to BTC I would've bought more then instead of waiting. I will never buy any bags that are BTC, but if they change back to BTA I will buy more.

If Turbine is making more money with BTC bags, then I'm okay with that as that means more money to put into the game.... but they won't get more of my money this way, for certain. The price is just too high for me for what you get, if you have to tie it to just 1 character.

techguru
10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
/agree

BtA - yes
BtC - never

shaolaolint
10-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I say we start a boycott on the ddo stor till they change to Bound to Account. Let the wallets do the talking.

Malithar45
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Agree 100%.

Still somewhat new to the game, and shortly after going VIP I knew what my first purchase would be. Shame on me for not clicking the more info button and seeing that the Huge Collectibles Bag was BoC though. :/ At least with Reincarnation in the future of the game though, it won't all be for naught.

Nodoze
11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Was confused by the post as I was pretty sure my bag was B2A and going to be mad if I was tricked. I am glad that I got a B2A huge bag and was going to buy more... Sad that they are now B2C cause I wish I had more but dont think I will buy much if any more now.

Wudwaen
11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
I see no reason to purchase these bags at this point. Since money is too hard to get and playing cost nearly as much as you make in virtual money for recovery of self, items, components, etc. There is little to no reason to purchase any containers or items from the store that are not usable for the account. If I want to purchase things for various characters I do NOT want to relog for each character to make purchases. I don't even buy groceries that way, I go once a month to town and get things in one trip. If I am not going to make a separate trip for each person, dog, cat, and light fixture in my home - why would I make separate trips for one account? I have spent just shy of $125.00 in the last month on DDO, and will have no reason to purchase anything that is limited to a single character. If I want to change that character, remake it, make something different, etc. - I will not waste money on things Turbine is going to force me to destroy and repurchase instead of recycle. That is the kind of planned obsolescence that has been tearing the US apart for decades - and one of the reasons we are just about all broke now (certainly not the only one). Fact is I don't have to pump any more money into Turbine. I certainly don't have to waste it on inferior and half-baked products.

/Signed for making and keeping items open for account use from point of purchase.