PDA

View Full Version : noob class questions

DoofusBrains
10-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I have just begun playing and have now left Korthos. I'm just turning level 3. :D I was thinking of turning my fighter into a fighter/rogue. Is this an ok combo? Without going into too much detail, he should do relatively ok for a rogue. I'm playing the character not to be maximally tweaked out, but mostly for an amusing way of playing. I do, however, want to be able to group without being totally useless.
Also, isn't there a rule about a 20% experience penalty for multi-classing?
Also people keep talking about Kensai? Is that a warrior class?
Thanks y'all.

Saice
10-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Any combo of Fighter/Rouge is actually pretty good. Be mindful you are giving up the level 20 capstone for fighter. But rouge does give you a few nice perks.

Fighters over all combo well into a lot of classes you will see many builds that like to put in 2 levels of fighter.

Based on your fighter style is really depends how deep into rouge levels you go.

Gorby
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Just a note .. if you are going to splash rog, it's best to take a rog level at creation so you get the extra skill points from the multiplier.

Also, DDO has done away with any xp penalties for multiclasserss and xp caps for races.

dominp
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I have just begun playing and have now left Korthos. I'm just turning level 3. :D I was thinking of turning my fighter into a fighter/rogue. Is this an ok combo? Without going into too much detail, he should do relatively ok for a rogue. I'm playing the character not to be maximally tweaked out, but mostly for an amusing way of playing. I do, however, want to be able to group without being totally useless.
Also, isn't there a rule about a 20% experience penalty for multi-classing?
Also people keep talking about Kensai? Is that a warrior class?
Thanks y'all.

fighter/rogues are awesome but you are losing alot of action points by not taking rogue at level 1 instead of fighter.

Brennie
10-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Taking rogue levels after taking a different class at level 1 usually means you will never, ever be able to pull off even basic rogue skills. if you want to do all teh rogue trapfinding, disabling, secret door searching things, you must take Rogue at level 1 (This rule has exceptions, but you must have a solid build planned out to account for them).

Taking rogue levels will give you sneak attack and evasion, but will require you to wear heavy armor, and will lower your total hitpoints and base attack bonus. Low dex fighters don't benefit from Evasion as much as other characters. A pure fighter is not a bad way to go, especially if you haven't planned out your full character build.

Kensaii is an Prestige Class Enhancement avaible to characters with 6 levels of fighter. It applies only to one weapon-type though, so its usually good to plan a character around that.

Vormaerin
10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
You can't use Evasion in heavy armor.... Did you mean will require you to wear Light Armor?

Brennie
10-01-2009, 09:56 PM
You can't use Evasion in heavy armor.... Did you mean will require you to wear Light Armor?

Yes >_> I think I began with "You cannot wear" and later editted it... but incorrectly. Good catch.

DoofusBrains
10-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Oooh darn, I chose fighter first. Well... I can start a new guy I suppose. Or keep this one just a fighter, that's also fun, he's seems just a little one-sided (smash smash smash). Rogue/Fighter sounds kinda neat, though, if people are actually pulling it off. I almost expected "no don't do it!", so, trying it will be cool. Grab Rogue at 1st level, got it. Glad to know the 20% exp penalty isn't in effect. I don't much care for that. Thanks y'all

mediocresurgeon
10-01-2009, 11:26 PM
If you are doing a rogue/fighter, you should...

-Wear light armor so you can use Evasion after your second rogue level
-Take your first character level as rogue so that you get a rogue's quadruple skill points.
-Plan your build from the very beginning, because on-the-fly character multiclassing rarely improves your character.

tihocan
10-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Something else you must keep in mind when multiclassing with rogue to get rogue skills is to properly plan your Int score. If your Int is too low, you may end up having to take way more rogue levels, which could hurt your efficiency in your primary class.