PDA

View Full Version : Looking After Yourself

Mistinarperadnacles
10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Let's face it being beat up, cursed and poisoned isn't fun. Its also expensive as those healing and remedy potions aren't cheap. Here's a few points I put together to help a question asked on a Server Forum, but have removed it to place it here where I hope it will help more people.

now that I have gotten into some of the mid level content I have noticed a lot of players expect me to basically cover myself for missions in terms of survival. I don't really mind this, however I am wondering how to pull it off without being broke 24/7. I AH all my stuff, but I still find myself spending thousands and thousands of plat to keep up with potions and mats for spells. I pretty much have to keep stoneskin/blur/elemental resists on myself during runs to keep from getting 1 shot, and even then I can die during the firewall chaos. I've been trying to switch over to healing wands to help lower costs but it's very hard to use them in the heat of battle.

Sooooo any suggestions on how to quit being such a money sink would be appreciated
Original Thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2452975

This answer is probably most beneficial to low and mid level characters, especially those without many alts and limited gold to spend.

Things To Shop For To Make Life Easier:

Neutralise Poison clicky (jewellery or clothing or robes) (also works as a preventative buff)
Lesser Restoration clicky (jewellery or clothing or robes)
Remove Curse clicky (jewellery or clothing)
Remove Blindness clicky (jewellery or clothing)
Remove Fear clicky (jewellery or clothing) (also works as a preventative buff)
Remove Disease clicky (jewellery or clothing)

In most quests you won't need more than 3 or 5 charges of these curative spells. For a one time outlay, you won't need to buy any more potions of them. All these items can also be cast on other players too.

Find these on the respective vendors in the Marketplace or on the Auction House.

Cure Serious Wounds (CSW) potions can be expensive. Wands are cheaper and can be used by Clerics, Favoured Souls, Rangers, Paladins, Bards and anbody with high enough Use Magic Device (UMD) skill. When buying either, you can lessen the cost by:

Have a High Haggle (get a good +Haggle item. Extra bonus for any class where Charisma will be high)
Hit Heroism or Greater Heroism before shopping (+2 / +4 to Haggle. Cast it yourself, get a friend to hit you up)
Find a Friendly Bard (they can have huge Haggle, so will save money when buying large amounts)
Choose Where You Shop (some zones have quests that will make the vendors in that zone cheaper by about 2%. E.G House Jorasco Potion shop will be cheaper after completing the Delera's Tomb series. House Kundarak potion shop will be cheaper after completing the Cult Of The Six series. The Gianthold Potion Ogre doesn't have a quest so won't ever be cheaper. If you're a free player, you'll need to get to the Portable Hole by Teleport or Greater Teleport. The Hole is always at the 2% cheaper price. Its only a few pennies you're saving, but its better than nothing.)

Other Things (Blur, Displacement, Stoneskin, Elemental Resists and Protections, Hiding Behind a Fighter with Intimidate, Running Away, Quest Knowledge, Good AC, High Constitution, Fortification Item and the Info In The Other Excellent Guide Posts In This Forum. All will help lessen the healing you need to do.)

Handy Alternatives (these can help too)

Visor of the Flesh Render Guards (get this as a possible end reward from the Assault On Splinterskull (Tangleroot) series. Casts Death Ward which will make you immune to instant death spells like Destruction or Finger of Death as well as negative spells like Cause Critical Wounds that enemy clerics like to cast.
Curative Cloak (get this from the Korthos Redemption quest. 1 charge clicky of Cure Light Wounds which can help top up or can save an incapacitated friend in an emergency.)
Bracers of Assistance (get this from the Korthos Cannith Crystal quest. 1 shot clicky of Aid which gives temporary hit points and can also save an incapacitated friend.
Vestments of Light (rare drop from The Smuggler's Warehouse in the Harbour. 3 shot clicky of Cure Light Wounds on a robe.)
Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds (get this as a possible end reward from The Catacombs series in the Marketplace. 50 charges of 1d3 healing.)
Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragments (turn 3 of these into Giles Goodman in the Marketplace and he'll give you a 20 charge Trinket of Cure Serious Wounds.)
Planar Gird (Tough to get, but find it as a rare drop in the Xorian Cypher quest in House Jorasco. Casts Greater Heroism which will give temporary hitpoints and a +4 buff to skills, attack and saves.)
Duskbrood Trumpeters (These collectables are found on the bushes and purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Mantkan in House Jorasco for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Sour Darkcap (Find these collectables on bushes and purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Farrik Foe Cleaver in House Jorasco for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Bruised Spore Pod (Find these collectables on purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Chirugeon Laj’ Amal in House Deneith for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Lily Petals (Find these collectables on bushes throughout Tangleroot Gorge. Turn in 3 to Demordris Meele in the One Eared Bugbear Tavern for Cure Moderate potions. (Also gives out Remove Blindness and Remove Curse potions for the other collectables.))

Some of these are only very minor powers, but they will make a big difference in self sufficiency and most importantly, how much money you have to spend. As a Caster, you won't have tons of hit points, so minor cure spells have greater benefit for you. As a melee, these can help in dire situations or can be a free source of healing to keep you topped up or help you be more self reliant for soloing and setting a great example in parties.

Handy Guides That Might Help
Click Me for Making Gold As A Newbie by jscott457 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=172595)
Click Me for Clickies, The Route To Self Sufficiency by Aranticus (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=85729)

Hope that helps :)

bkasavan
12-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Neutralise Poison clicky (jewellery or clothing or robes) (also works as a preventative buff)

In most quests you won't need more than 3 or 5 charges of these curative spells. For a one time outlay, you won't need to buy any more potions of them. All these items can also be cast on other players too.

Find these on the respective vendors in the Marketplace or on the Auction House.

Cure Serious Wounds (CSW) potions can be expensive. Wands are cheaper and can be used by Clerics, Favoured Souls, Rangers, Paladins, Bards and anbody with high enough Use Magic Device (UMD) skill. When buying either, you can lessen the cost by:

Have a High Haggle (get a good +Haggle item. Extra bonus for any class where Charisma will be high)
Hit Heroism or Greater Heroism before shopping (+2 / +4 to Haggle. Cast it yourself, get a friend to hit you up)
Find a Friendly Bard (they can have huge Haggle, so will save money when buying large amounts)
Choose Where You Shop (some zones have quests that will make the vendors in that zone cheaper by about 2%. E.G House Jorasco Potion shop will be cheaper after completing the Delera's Tomb series. House Kundarak potion shop will be cheaper after completing the Cult Of The Six series. The Gianthold Potion Ogre doesn't have a quest so won't ever be cheaper. If you're a free player, you'll need to get to the Portable Hole by Teleport or Greater Teleport. The Hole is always at the 2% cheaper price. Its only a few pennies you're saving, but its better than nothing.)

Other Things (Blur, Displacement, Stoneskin, Elemental Resists and Protections, Hiding Behind a Fighter with Intimidate, Running Away, Quest Knowledge, Good AC, High Constitution, Fortification Item and the Info In The Other Excellent Guide Posts In This Forum. All will help lessen the healing you need to do.)

Visor of the Flesh Render Guards (get this as a possible end reward from the Assault On Splinterskull (Tangleroot) series. Casts Death Ward which will make you immune to instant death spells like Destruction or Finger of Death as well as negative spells like Cause Critical Wounds that enemy clerics like to cast.
Curative Cloak (get this from the Korthos Redemption quest. 1 charge clicky of Cure Light Wounds which can help top up or can save an incapacitated friend in an emergency.)
Bracers of Assistance (get this from the Korthos Cannith Crystal quest. 1 shot clicky of Aid which gives temporary hit points and can also save an incapacitated friend.
Vestments of Light (rare drop from The Smuggler's Warehouse in the Harbour. 3 shot clicky of Cure Light Wounds on a robe.)
Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds (get this as a possible end reward from The Catacombs series in the Marketplace. 50 charges of 1d3 healing.)
Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragments (turn 3 of these into Giles Goodman in the Marketplace and he'll give you a 20 charge Trinket of Cure Serious Wounds.)
Planar Gird (Tough to get, but find it as a rare drop in the Xorian Cypher quest in House Jorasco. Casts Greater Heroism which will give temporary hitpoints and a +4 buff to skills, attack and saves.)
Duskbrood Trumpeters (These collectables are found on the bushes and purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Mantkan in House Jorasco for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Sour Darkcap (Find these collectables on bushes and purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Farrik Foe Cleaver in House Jorasco for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Bruised Spore Pod (Find these collectables on purple mushrooms. Turn in 3 to Chirugeon Laj’ Amal in House Deneith for Cure/Repair Serious potions.
Lily Petals (Find these collectables on bushes throughout Tangleroot Gorge. Turn in 3 to Demordris Meele in the One Eared Bugbear Tavern for Cure Moderate potions. (Also gives out Remove Blindness and Remove Curse potions for the other collectables.))

Some of these are only very minor powers, but they will make a big difference in self sufficiency and most importantly, how much money you have to spend. As a Caster, you won't have tons of hit points, so minor cure spells have greater benefit for you. As a melee, these can help in dire situations or can be a free source of healing to keep you topped up or help you be more self reliant for soloing and setting a great example in parties.

Click Me for Making Gold As A Newbie by jscott457 (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=172595)
Click Me for Clickies, The Route To Self Sufficiency by Aranticus (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=85729)

Nice post with some usefull info, lots of help.

Ashurr
12-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Useful. +1

jwdaniels
12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
You can also get potions/wands/scrolls to help with some of this as rewards from turning in collectibles.

TheDearLeader
12-12-2010, 09:34 AM
You can also get potions/wands/scrolls to help with some of this as rewards from turning in collectibles.

The above guide mentions this already.

OP, good guide for a starter character.

PurdueDave
12-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Behold...the power of the bump.

bkasavan
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Behold...the power of the bump.

LoL

Archmage49
04-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Let's face it being beat up, cursed and poisoned isn't fun. Its also expensive as those healing and remedy potions aren't cheap. Here's a few points I put together to help a question asked on a Server Forum, but have removed it to place it here where I hope it will help more people.

Original Thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2452975

This answer is probably most beneficial to low and mid level characters, especially those without many alts and limited gold to spend.

Can add Shield clickie to that list, mighty helpful in harbor quests, especially ones swarming with kobold shamans, magic missile from them will eat you up in a hurry, also useful for a little AC boost for those not using shields.