PDA

View Full Version : Efficient/Inefficient Way to get Experience?

Bigglesbee
10-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Howdy all,

I was wondering, is there only one straight way to get experience? Or are there more/less efficient ways? I'm playing with a couple friends and we're all F2P at the moment, but plan on buying campaign packs when we get to higher levels. But, for example, we are not grinding QuestA over and over on solo difficult until it gives 0xp, then move to normal difficulty for QuestA until it gives 0xp, then move to hard difficulty until it gives 0xp, and so on. We basically just try to beat each difficulty of each quest once, then move to new quests (to keep it fresh). Sometimes, we can't be elite difficulty on a quest, so do different quests until we level up, then go back and beat elite.

My question is, is the above play style that we're doing limit the maximum experience gain in some way? Or does it all even out in the end, or what? Seeing as how I'm not sure if we'll all buy every single campaign pack, are we limiting our experience gain using the quest strategy my friends and I are using that I described above?

Thanks in advance :).

Gleipner
10-01-2009, 03:44 AM
With just doing the quests 3 times n/h/e you will reach cap and it won´t be a problem even if you are f2p players, you only need to get sorrowdusk and tangleroot adv-packs skipp Catacombs/necro they are not worth it and if you have a not to tight budget mabye also get STK (all depending on what lvl you are now ofc).
Theese packs should get you to lvl 12 easy along the quests that are f2p, once you hit lvl 12ish get GH adv-pack.
:) Just my oppinion.

scidude
10-01-2009, 03:44 AM
Howdy all,

I was wondering, is there only one straight way to get experience? Or are there more/less efficient ways? I'm playing with a couple friends and we're all F2P at the moment, but plan on buying campaign packs when we get to higher levels. But, for example, we are not grinding QuestA over and over on solo difficult until it gives 0xp, then move to normal difficulty for QuestA until it gives 0xp, then move to hard difficulty until it gives 0xp, and so on. We basically just try to beat each difficulty of each quest once, then move to new quests (to keep it fresh). Sometimes, we can't be elite difficulty on a quest, so do different quests until we level up, then go back and beat elite.

My question is, is the above play style that we're doing limit the maximum experience gain in some way? Or does it all even out in the end, or what? Seeing as how I'm not sure if we'll all buy every single campaign pack, are we limiting our experience gain using the quest strategy my friends and I are using that I described above?

Thanks in advance :).

If you bought a bunch of adventure packs/VIP you could probably pull that off for awhile. However, you will invariably end up repeating many quests if you stay mostly with F2P content after level 5 or so.

Bigglesbee
10-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the quick responses.

We don't mind repeating quests so far. But, I was wondering if I do QuestA (level 1 quest) and repeat it over and over and over until it gives me 0xp because of all of the repetition/leveling up, would that be more efficient than doing QuestA (level 1 quest) on normal/hard/elite and never doing it again, then doing QuestB on normal/hard elite?

And if it's better to repeat quests over and over, is it better to do them at low levels or high levels? (time vs. reward, would be the determination I guess?).

Gleipner
10-01-2009, 03:51 AM

We don't mind repeating quests so far. But, I was wondering if I do QuestA (level 1 quest) and repeat it over and over and over until it gives me 0xp because of all of the repetition/leveling up, would that be more efficient than doing QuestA (level 1 quest) on normal/hard/elite and never doing it again, then doing QuestB on normal/hard elite?

If you do let´s say "Info is key" on norm x3 hard x1 and elite x1 that would be the most efficent way to grind exp, but it´s also the most boring way to grind exp.
And grinding a quest down to 0 exp isn´t epm efficent ;) (EPM= exp per min)

scidude
10-01-2009, 03:52 AM

It depends on the quests. Some are horrible for time investment/exp return, and you shouldn't run these quests at all unless you are desperate for the faction(hello "proof is in the poison"!). It depends on your team makeup how fast you complete the quests. Lots of undead are often slow for melee to kill, but casters can usually blow through them fast. If you are doing F2P, you really should try your best to only repeat quests on hard/elite, because you want to squeez as much exp out of them. And when you do them, don't renter(kills your exp), make sure you bust up all the boxes if they have them(exp bonus), and make sure to get the rogue trap disabling bonus if applicable.

Bigglesbee
10-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Hm, cool.

Yeah, I'm a utility rogue for the most part--traps, spot, search, locks, use magic device, etc etc etc, and I'm an explorer at heart, so assuming my checks are all high enough (I also wear all the equipment that adds to my spot/disable device/etc :P), we don't miss anything. And we're also pretty good about not dying, not re-entering, breaking everything, killing everything, etc.

Scidude, what did you mean about repeating a quest for the faction? Does repeating a quest over and over boost your relations with the faction the quest is for? I assumed only doing the quest once would boost it, then never again?

scidude
10-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Hm, cool.

Yeah, I'm a utility rogue for the most part--traps, spot, search, locks, use magic device, etc etc etc, and I'm an explorer at heart, so assuming my checks are all high enough (I also wear all the equipment that adds to my spot/disable device/etc :P), we don't miss anything. And we're also pretty good about not dying, not re-entering, breaking everything, killing everything, etc.

Scidude, what did you mean about repeating a quest for the faction? Does repeating a quest over and over boost your relations with the faction the quest is for? I assumed only doing the quest once would boost it, then never again?

You get more favor for the first time you complete it on a higher difficulty. Like 2 for normal, 4 for hard.

Bigglesbee
10-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Oh right, yeah. That's why we're trying to beat everything on elite :)

tihocan
10-01-2009, 08:29 AM
If you can open hard on your first time (e.g. using an alt), then go hard x3, then normal, then elite.
Techinically, doing elite x3, then hard and normal would be a bit better for the total XP, but probably not more efficient, because elite will take longer.
Don't waste your time on solo except for those really high XP quests (unless they removed the -50% xp penalty on solo mode?)

sirgog
10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
If you can open hard on your first time (e.g. using an alt), then go hard x3, then normal, then elite.
Techinically, doing elite x3, then hard and normal would be a bit better for the total XP, but probably not more efficient, because elite will take longer.
Don't waste your time on solo except for those really high XP quests (unless they removed the -50% xp penalty on solo mode?)

Seldom indeed can hard be done quickly enough (compared to normal) to warrant that approach. NNNHE is usually 98% of the XP in 85% of the time.

Solo is a waste of time - it has 70% base XP now (no longer 50%) but usually takes far longer than a group on Normal would.

SqtYork
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
In my own opinion, the general rule of thumb is to repeat stuff on normal to grind exp. you only get the first time bonus for each level once. All things being equal it takes longer to run most quests on hard, and a bit longer than that to do it on elite. Unless you are able to quickly kill stuff and move on it's usually not worth it to me to run stuff on hard / elite vs normal for the experience. But you only gain about 10% more exp base from the increased level of difficulty for hard, and 20% for elite. Unless you can finish the quest with only a 10 - 20% increase in time it's not worth it for the exp alone. When you are running quests that are lower level than you are, then it might make sense to grind them on hard or elite to decrease the highest party member level vs the level of the quest penalty. You own play style, group make up, equipment, ... etc can vary a great deal from my own experiences too. I do recommend running each quest on elite at least once to gain the favor, and the get the +50% exp bonus for first time running on elite.

TehSilence
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM
are there more/less efficient ways?

Shame on all of you for only answering HALF of the question. You're all focusing on efficient ways to get experience. :mad:

NOBODY is providing any inefficient ways, and that's a crying shame. Let me help. :D

Inefficient Ways to Get Experience

Hide on a rooftop in the Harbor and ask people to find you
Do quests 8 levels below you on solo
Climb to the highest point in house D and featherfall into the city proper
Do quests 8 levels above you on any difficulty
Form a party, order everyone around and belittle them until they all quit and leave you to solo the quest on Hard
Perform Coldplay in the Marketplace square
Play "how many times must I re-enter the dungeon to kill the boss monster when I only get one shot in before it kills me"
Buy as many quivers as you can hold, fill them all with arrows, and announce you are the "Arrow Man" and all should buy their arrows from you
Post "WTB xp plz kkk" on the trade channel
Corner the market on Masterwork Plate Mail on the Auction House
Become Bolt Man (see Arrow Man above)

Any others?

:confused:

Sogrin
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
rofl silence.

ineffieint way of leveling part 2

- buy scrolls as a fighter and use them to kill the enemy
- melee everything with your dagger as a wizard
- buy a thieves kit as a cleric and try to disarm the traps
- dont continue untill you find the secret door, even if you dont have enough in search
- fight defincively against everything to get the AC bonus so they cant hit you as much
- insist on entering a dungeon pack dungeon on a F2P account where you have not purchased the dungeon pack for said dungeon.

TehSilence
10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
More inefficient ways to get experience:

Troll the forums (hey wait...)
Play "which instance am I in" with friends
Pick a random player in the Marketplace and mail them a copper piece every three minutes for the next hour; hide and watch the mailbox
Stand by the docks and yell "You Killed Jacoby!" and attack new players as they step off the ship
Get in highly technical discussion about PnP D&D on the General chat until every other player on the server is mad at you (won't take long)
Look for ham (/lfh)

Corebreach
10-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Solo is a waste of time - it has 70% base XP now (no longer 50%)
Is Korthos Island different? Heyton's Rest is 250 XP on Solo, 313 on Normal. That's 80%.

sirgog
10-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Is Korthos Island different? Heyton's Rest is 250 XP on Solo, 313 on Normal. That's 80%.

It may have changed, I may be wrong, or it may be a special case.