PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a new Paladin

charmor
09-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I just started a Paladin, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

I like Humans (bonus feat and stat improvement freedom), but I selected Elf for the scimitar/falchion enhancements. All elven bonus features are almost useless, but I believe these weapon enchancements alone fit a Paladin very nicely, and work for both sword+board and two-handed. Just hope I not regret being Elf later..

For now I got Toughness at first level, and will get Power Attack at lvl 3 and Improved Critical at 9. Since I'm just learning about the game and the quests, I believe TWF is not a good option for a beginner, so my goal is walking around with scimitar+shield, having a falchion for those times I have to drop a boss or wizard quickly.

I would like suggestions about feats and enhancements to get as a Paladin, with the main purpose of soloing Normal instances (this is important). According to information I have, Cleave and Greate Cleave will only break up my attack chain instead of improve dps, so what about Mental Toughness for more spells, Stunning Blow, Extend Spell, the THF chain..? About enchancements, I noticed there are many good options.. too many in fact, lol. Improved AC/saves for aura of good and Divine Might are already in my list, but what about those Paladin prestige paths? And all those smite enhancements (exalted, sacrifice), worth having all of them?

tihocan
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd suggest first to look into the prestige paths and pick one you like, then make sure you can fil its prerequisites.
Feat-wise, I'd suggest the THF line if you got room for it. It will make you more useful overall, since there are many places where you'll be asked to act as a DPS machine and noone will care about your defensive abilities.

Mangloid
09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Not to sound harsh, but all your questions and quite a few build examples are located in the paladin thread. Maybe check there first or try this http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=135360

charmor
09-29-2009, 11:15 AM
No, you're not being harsh at all :) Pretty informative guide in fact, yet a little outdated since it does not say anything about scimitars on elven paladins.

About the prestige paths, I didn't like any of them, so I'm considering not getting any prestige enhancement, and I hope this does not gimp my character.. I really liked the idea of getting UMD instead of Concentration, but for this I need a lvl of Rogue/Bard to take it to maximum rank right? Or this skill can be useful even leveled cross-classed with high charisma?

Only thing I haven't understood so far is how exalted and sacrifice line enchancements work exactly. Exalted just modifies your smite, adding better critical ranges, damage and cooldown, right? And how about Divine Sacrifice? Is this another attack, or also just enhances your smite for more 5d6 damage?

tihocan
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
No, you're not being harsh at all :) Pretty informative guide in fact, yet a little outdated since it does not say anything about scimitars on elven paladins.

About the prestige paths, I didn't like any of them, so I'm considering not getting any prestige enhancement, and I hope this does not gimp my character.. I really liked the idea of getting UMD instead of Concentration, but for this I need a lvl of Rogue/Bard to take it to maximum rank right? Or this skill can be useful even leveled cross-classed with high charisma?

Only thing I haven't understood so far is how exalted and sacrifice line enchancements work exactly. Exalted just modifies your smite, adding better critical ranges, damage and cooldown, right? And how about Divine Sacrifice? Is this another attack, or also just enhances your smite for more 5d6 damage?
I would suggest to look into Knight of the Chalice (fighting lots of evil outsiders at high level) or Defender of Siberys (if planning to be able to reach good defense at high level).
UMD can be useful cross-classed, mostly to use race-restricted equipment, and some scrolls out of combat (teleport scrolls are particularly handy to save on some travel time).
Not sure about your smite questions, I don't have a pally myself ;)

charmor
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
One thing I dislike about these enhancement descriptions is that many things are just not clear :)

For example, in relation to Defender of Siberys I don't know if the bonuses such as additinal turn undead attempts are cumulative, how much is added to the auras, how long last the stance, etc. But if I choose to go the Defender of Siberys way, taking Tower Shield feat at lvl 6 and really using it for improved AC, won't my attacks suffer too much with Power Attack on (-5 from Power Attack and -2 from shield)?

tihocan
09-29-2009, 01:17 PM
For example, in relation to Defender of Siberys I don't know if the bonuses such as additinal turn undead attempts are cumulative, how much is added to the auras, how long last the stance, etc. But if I choose to go the Defender of Siberys way, taking Tower Shield feat at lvl 6 and really using it for improved AC, won't my attacks suffer too much with Power Attack on (-5 from Power Attack and -2 from shield)?
You probably won't be turning power attack on while using a tower shield, because just the fact that you're using a tower shield means your damage output is going to be rather low, no matter what.
It sounds like you're willing to build a versatile paladin who can both have good defense or good offense. The trick is, you can't really get both at the very same time (*), but you can have a character who can switch between these two roles. Going Defender of Siberys will help you being able to turtle up and take little damage, at the cost of having crappy DPS while doing this. Note that to take full advantage of such an ability, you'd probably want to have high intimidate and the Combat Expertise feat.

(*) You can try to build a paladin able to do both at the same time reasonably well, but it's tricky and will probably require a lot of high end gear, for a result that may not necessarily be worth the effort.

PS: not sure about the exact enhancement descriptions, it's true they are often confusing. A general rule of thumb is that when you see a bonus go up between two tiers of enhancements (e.g. tier I gives +1, tier II gives +2, and tier III gives +3), then they probably don't stack, while if the bonuses are said to be the same (e.g. all +1), they probably stack.

charmor
09-29-2009, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you're willing to build a versatile paladin who can both have good defense or good offense.

Yes, that's it. Since I want to be able to solo Normal instances with good survivability, I believe good defensive power can be the key to save on heals and consumables, with a side falchion for those moments when power is necessary. And looking closer on Defender of Siberys, I think this prestige can really help on that a lot..

While planning my character, I'm only having serious problems with enhancements. I mean, Paladins have too many, and all of them seems very nice. I'm posting below my plan, for any suggestion is welcome!

STATS:

- Str 15 (all lvl bonuses will go here)
- Dex 10 (will reach 12 with elven enchancements)
- Con 12
- Int 8
- Wis 14
- Cha 15 (will get at least +3 from paladin enhancements)

FEATS:

- Toughness
- Power Attack
- Tower Shield
- Improved Critical
............................ anything after that

ENHANCEMENTS:

Follower of Undying Court (2)
Undying Call (4)
Paladin Armor Class Boost 1 (1)
Paladin Focus of Good 1 (1)
Paladin Courage of Good 1 (1)
Paladin Charisma 1 (2)
Paladin Charisma 2 (4)
Paladin Charisma 3 (6)
Paladin Energy of the Templar 1 (1)
Paladin Energy of the Templar 2 (2)
Paladin Bulwark of Good 1 (1)
Paladin Bulwark of Good 2 (2)
Paladin Bulwark of Good 3 (3)
Paladin Resistance of Good 1 (1)
Paladin Resistance of Good 2 (2)
Paladin Resistance of Good 3 (3)
Paladin Extra Lay on Hands 1 (1)
Paladin Extra Lay on Hands 2 (2)
Paladin Extra Lay on Hands 3 (3)
Paladin Extra Smite 1 (1)
Paladin Extra Smite 2 (2)
Paladin Divine Sacrifice 1 (1)
Defender of Siberys 1 (4)
Defender of Siberys 2 (2)
Defender of Siberys 3 (2)
Paladin Toughness 1 (1)
Paladin Toughness 2 (2)
Paladin Weapons of Good (2)
Elf Melee Damage 1 (2)
Elf Melee Damage 2 (4)
Elf Melee Attack 1 (2)
Elf Melee Attack 2 (4)
Elven Dexterity 1 (2)
Elven Dexterity 2 (4)
Racial toughness 1 (1)
Racial toughness 2 (2)

* There was no ap left for Divine Power and Exalted Smite, lol. Any suggestion? (remembering I want a survival build for playing solo, not a specialized tank or dps).

Varr
09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Personally I would sacrifice dex 2 (4) cha 2/3 (10) elven attack to hit 2 (4) and spend those 18 pts on your smites. Rotating 8 super maxed smites every 90 seconds is where it is at.