PDA

View Full Version : Please. Please, can we have GS handwraps soon?

redoubt
09-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I've read several of the threads about the cool stuff you can do with rings. I might do so with one if my monk ever gets one, but then I still have to pick between adding damage or one of the other cool effects.

Any other character can still use a GS weapon and NOT depend on a crafted ring for the extra damage, which, if I'm not mistaken, still does not compare with the GS weapon.

So, what do ya say devs? Is it time yet? Can we show the monks some love?

FluffyCalico
09-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Nope because with the way they made the new raid rings work giving you greensteel wraps would overpower monks who also had the rings. By making the rings work the way they did, pretty much any chance of greensteel wraps died

bobbryan2
09-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Nope because with the way they made the new raid rings work giving you greensteel wraps would overpower monks who also had the rings. By making the rings work the way they did, pretty much any chance of greensteel wraps died

That's not true. They could easily make the rings apply to all melee and ranged attacks.

FluffyCalico
09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
That's not true. They could easily make the rings apply to all melee and ranged attacks.

They could-this is true-and if they do then maybe.

But let me ask you this, do you honestly think they will?

Junts
09-28-2009, 11:33 PM
If they did that it would just overpower every melee in the game instead

The rings are a fine method to fixing the handwrap problem, we just need randomly generated handwraps now and we'll be fine.

I'll take using two rings and metalline handwraps of geob for dps vs someone whos got 2 shroud weapons and rings w/ +stats on them.. I'm getting way more added dice and the like than they are.

They can have that 2 con and 2 str or whatever it is they take its not nearly as impactful as the geob I've got that they don't.

redoubt
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
How do the rings give monks radiance? Or mineral II? Or insight 4? Or and option for damage AND a tier III effect?

EVERY other class has all of that except monks. And even if a monk chose dps handwraps AND dps boost on a ring they still would not be out-dps'n the other twf'ing classes.

So how would it be overpowered?

bobbryan2
09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
But let me ask you this, do you honestly think they will?

No, not at all. Not in the least.

I just know it won't overpower monks. There's no reason they 'shouldnt' add them. I just hope the next crafting system they implement doesn't leave monks out.

bobbryan2
09-29-2009, 09:10 AM
If they did that it would just overpower every melee in the game instead

The rings are a fine method to fixing the handwrap problem, we just need randomly generated handwraps now and we'll be fine.

I'll take using two rings and metalline handwraps of geob for dps vs someone whos got 2 shroud weapons and rings w/ +stats on them.. I'm getting way more added dice and the like than they are.

They can have that 2 con and 2 str or whatever it is they take its not nearly as impactful as the geob I've got that they don't.

2 rings + metalline handwraps are a good stop gap, but it's not a solution.

But it's not a fix to the problem. It's not like monks suddenly have insight +4 added to their handwraps, along with lightning strike or radiance.

RazorrX
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I thought the reason no GS handwraps were because . . .

Handwraps are horribly screwed up.

They have major issues with Handwraps right now, not all effects work, etc. So rather than try and sort it out and fix them, they gave rings to placate the monks (amazing as the monk is one of thier big marketing icons).

So they would need to fix how handwraps work in game, then they could put handwraps in as greenmesh wraps.

Cyr
09-29-2009, 10:03 AM
/signed

Ring effects are nice, but by no means are as good as GS. Also, you have to give up a decent amount to use two rings and hand wraps compared to 2 gs kamas, chattering ring, and a ring with dex or wis on it. It's 8 AC for almost the same dps and no chance of having some of the neat tier 3 effects.

redoubt
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I thought the reason no GS handwraps were because . . .

Handwraps are horribly screwed up.

They have major issues with Handwraps right now, not all effects work, etc. So rather than try and sort it out and fix them, they gave rings to placate the monks (amazing as the monk is one of thier big marketing icons).

So they would need to fix how handwraps work in game, then they could put handwraps in as greenmesh wraps.

I believe you are correct on all points. To be more specific I think the issue lies with handwraps not having any base damage (damage is based on monk level.)

Many have suggested that we could skip the base damage boost if it made it easier to put them in the game. (That being how a khopesh goes from 1d8 to 1d10. So don't worry about that boost and make them like every other handwrap that just uses the monk level for base damage.)

Another option would be to simply code them as +5 and put one extra point of damage. So they would be +5 to hit and +6 to damage. This is because most of the weapons increase by a range of two and average of one point of damage.

I realize that there are some technical difficulties with handwraps, but the current bone being thrown to the monks doesn't close the gap at all.

If a monk could put +1d6 force AND +2 exceptional something on a ring, then it would start to close the gap. But since monks must choose one or the other the gap remains. (To further explain, since ring special effects are available to all, it is assumed that all have them. Now monks must forgo those special affects to get a little extra damage or skip the extra damage to get the special affects. Thus the gap remains.)