PDA

View Full Version : Naming Question

Johnstone
09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I couldn't find a better place to post this, so it's going here.

I bought the monk class today and went and rolled up a dwarven monk. Went to name the character "Wei" with a surname of "Wu Wei". For some reason it tells me that this name is not allowed. I found the naming rules and it does not seem to break any of the naming rules. If anyone knows why this name is not allowed, I would like to know. Thanks.

HeavenlyCloud
09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Most likely the first name is too short :(. Need at least 4 characters i believe.

Cleitanious
09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
There is someone on Cannith named C, so I doubt Wei is too short. =/

Johnstone
09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah, and it told me that "Wu" was already taken when I tried to name him "Wu" with surname "Wei"

Brennie
09-28-2009, 11:11 PM
It is possible that the name is taken by an in-game NPC, thus being neither profane nor "Anotehr character has already taken this name", but giving a "not acceptable" response.

Surberus
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Either your first name or last name could be taken, and the game doesn't allow duplicates. It should tell you which one you need to change.

TehSilence
09-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Last names are unique? Or unique per account?

tihocan
09-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Last names are unique? Or unique per account?
Last names are not unique.

Gorby
09-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Aside from being a common Chinese name, Wei is a common lore-related name in Asheron's Call. They had problems in that game with people imitating NPCs to cheat players so it is probably a relic from another Turbine product. It's also possible it's current NPC name here or reserved for future use.

Johnstone
09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
@Surberus: Nope, different message. It just told me "This name is not allowed" unlike when I tried other names that were already taken where it says "This name is already taken" or something to that effect.

@Gorby: I'm guessing it's a leftover from AC then. I hate making a character from a PnP game and having to name him the wrong thing >.< Oh well, that's life.