PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do Jewels of Fortune work?

Digita
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
The +1 is for the quest level? Loot level? What is the loot level on a chest based upon?

If you do a quest chain lvl 4-6, should you be getting Masterwork stuff with the Jewel on?

Do these things actually do anything? The description says something about opening the chest, but whether or not I'm actually opening the chest or not, i don't appear to ever get anything "higher" than the people I'm with if they're NOT using the Jewel.

The other night running Tempest Spine, the only person that got anything good out of chests was the person NOT on a Jewel of Fortune.

Kiraxa
09-28-2009, 02:34 PM
The +1 is for the quest level? Loot level? What is the loot level on a chest based upon?

If you do a quest chain lvl 4-6, should you be getting Masterwork stuff with the Jewel on?

Do these things actually do anything? The description says something about opening the chest, but whether or not I'm actually opening the chest or not, i don't appear to ever get anything "higher" than the people I'm with if they're NOT using the Jewel.

The other night running Tempest Spine, the only person that got anything good out of chests was the person NOT on a Jewel of Fortune.

they're ripoffs placed in the store to, well, rip you off. Just like 90% of the items in the store. Grats.

rimble
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Don't think I could have pulled that +2 tome in the Vale the other day without the Jewel I had activated.

It just depends, sometimes they push you over a crucial point that allows the possibility of something nice...sometimes they just don't push you across that threshold.

The problem would be, understanding where the threshold is. That would require understanding what level of item drops in a given area, and what nice loot might be awaiting you at each point. I've never bothered to figure that out, maybe someone else will share.

As an example, people used to run Vale quests on Hard for the chance at +2 tomes. I believe you would have that same chance running them on Normal now, with a Jewel active.

If you're in an area that drops +2 tomes already, these won't make it MORE likely to get a +2 tome, since you've already accessed that level of loot. You just need the dice to play nice at that point.

After all that, though. Random is random. Sometimes things just don't go your way.

Mercules
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
they're ripoffs placed in the store to, well, rip you off. Just like 90% of the items in the store. Grats.

LOL!

No they are not.

They raise the "Loot Table".

When you open a chest it is set to a certain Loot Table based upon several things. Usually the level of the table it uses is based upon the quest level and the difficulty level but some chests are notably lower than this. This potion boost the level of the table you roll upon by 1.

On Cannith I sprung for some Jewels since I have no money there and would be relying on gear found and what I could buy with my sold items. I compared what I was pulling to what my friends were pulling.

I would NEVER use it on Korthos since most of those Loot Tables are fixed, only offering a few minor things and Static Rewards. There it really is a waste.

In the Harbor however, I was regularly pulling +1 weapons and armor, while not a huge improvement over the items you pick up on Korthos it does mean they sell for nearly twice as much at a vendor. I also was pulling items offering a +3 bonus to a skill instead of +1. My friends, on the otherhand pulled fewer +1 Wep/Arm and +3 Skill items most of their loot drops were Master Work or +1 Skill items. These are all minor items but when you have a no twink situation they are rather nice.

In the later levels they start increasing the chance of better items dropping. For instance in the Vale explorer area, with a Jewel +1 Tomes have shown up in Rare Encounter chests while without it they either never do, or very rarely do.

Digita
09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I would guess then that the loot tables for some of the chests that pop Masterwork must be on a lower level loot table than the Quest level?

Kiraxa
09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
LOL!

No they are not.

They raise the "Loot Table".

When you open a chest it is set to a certain Loot Table based upon several things. Usually the level of the table it uses is based upon the quest level and the difficulty level but some chests are notably lower than this. This potion boost the level of the table you roll upon by 1.

On Cannith I sprung for some Jewels since I have no money there and would be relying on gear found and what I could buy with my sold items. I compared what I was pulling to what my friends were pulling.

I would NEVER use it on Korthos since most of those Loot Tables are fixed, only offering a few minor things and Static Rewards. There it really is a waste.

In the Harbor however, I was regularly pulling +1 weapons and armor, while not a huge improvement over the items you pick up on Korthos it does mean they sell for nearly twice as much at a vendor. I also was pulling items offering a +3 bonus to a skill instead of +1. My friends, on the otherhand pulled fewer +1 Wep/Arm and +3 Skill items most of their loot drops were Master Work or +1 Skill items. These are all minor items but when you have a no twink situation they are rather nice.

In the later levels they start increasing the chance of better items dropping. For instance in the Vale explorer area, with a Jewel +1 Tomes have shown up in Rare Encounter chests while without it they either never do, or very rarely do.
Except that I frequently pull +1 weapons from korthos chests. The only way I'd ever pay for these ripoffs is if the timer only ran while I was in a dungeon. I spend too much time ****ing around in non-dungeon areas to get ripped by Turbine's get rich quick scheme.

Phiinix
09-30-2009, 08:39 PM
A chest's loot table also rapidly drops and gets worse when you open the same one repeatedly. I have no idea how fast it resets, or how fast it drops... but it can go from +1 weapons to masterwork to garbage very quickly if you run the chests really quickly.

RhapsodieInBlue
09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I pulled a +1 tome with a jewel on out of a bloodstone chest in the desert. Don't think it would have been on there without it.

sirgog
09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
If you run quests on Normal with a Jewel, you will get the loot you would have received on Hard.

I recommend using these in two situations:

1) You are running level 16 quests (Gianthold Elite, Necro 4 Elite, Vale of Twilight normal, Vale of Twilight explorer area):
While opening level 16 chests, you have no chance to loot a +2 tome. Opening level 17 chests, you do. The +1 gem knocks you over that key hurdle, and tomes are not ultra-rare drops so there's a fair chance you will get one.

2) You are running extremely high level quests (lootrunning Wrath of the Flame Elite to ransack, or any other level 19 quest on elite, or running Tower of Despair on Hard or Elite)
The level 22 and 23 loot tables aren't really known by players yet. Running these quests under the effect of a loot gem may see you be the first to pull an unbound +3 tome (noone knows yet if these are on the loot tables; I'd guess Turbine would put them on the level 22tables to both drive sales of loot gems but also so they can say 'look, you CAN still loot them without paying', but that's pure speculation), or an Improved Cursespewing of Improved Destruction weapon, or something else with tremendous value.

Hokiewa
10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
If you run quests on Normal with a Jewel, you will get the loot you would have received on Hard.

I recommend using these in two situations:

1) You are running level 16 quests (Gianthold Elite, Necro 4 Elite, Vale of Twilight normal, Vale of Twilight explorer area):
While opening level 16 chests, you have no chance to loot a +2 tome. Opening level 17 chests, you do. The +1 gem knocks you over that key hurdle, and tomes are not ultra-rare drops so there's a fair chance you will get one.

2) You are running extremely high level quests (lootrunning Wrath of the Flame Elite to ransack, or any other level 19 quest on elite, or running Tower of Despair on Hard or Elite)
The level 22 and 23 loot tables aren't really known by players yet. Running these quests under the effect of a loot gem may see you be the first to pull an unbound +3 tome (noone knows yet if these are on the loot tables; I'd guess Turbine would put them on the level 22tables to both drive sales of loot gems but also so they can say 'look, you CAN still loot them without paying', but that's pure speculation), or an Improved Cursespewing of Improved Destruction weapon, or something else with tremendous value.

Yup, good explanation. They do work, and they are extremely cheap, points wise.

Hokiewa
10-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Except that I frequently pull +1 weapons from korthos chests. The only way I'd ever pay for these ripoffs is if the timer only ran while I was in a dungeon. I spend too much time ****ing around in non-dungeon areas to get ripped by Turbine's get rich quick scheme.

LOL! You do know that Turbine is a for profit company right? I doubt they are going to get rich off of loot jewels, but you do know you can turn in a collectible for the same thing?

Bunker
10-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Don't think I could have pulled that +2 tome in the Vale the other day without the Jewel I had activated.

Has anyone said it yet. Screenshot or it didnt' happen. /cheers

Bunker
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I pulled a +1 tome with a jewel on out of a bloodstone chest in the desert. Don't think it would have been on there without it.

That is just pure randomness. The fact that you used a Jewel prior to opening did not help your chances. Just dice rolls.

smatt
10-01-2009, 07:41 AM

+1 tomes have always dropped in Desert area chests... Not the most common drop... But they are there....

It MIGHT be the case that by using a gem, and increasing the chest loot table by +1 would cause better items to be more common. Examp[le, maybe you have a 1 in 100 chance of rolling a +1 tome out of a desert chest normally, but with a gem you have a 1 in 75 chance. This is jsut an example, even after 3 years and thousands upon thousands of chests, it's really hard to tell exactly how the loot tables work, other than what falls where and when. But figuring the exact chances are still impossible. And since named item drops seem to be static accross N/H/E, I doubt that a gem would increase ones chance to pull named itmes.

Seems best to use them as otehrs have said, when you know a particular quest/chests level is one below a particualr level. Like the vale, a gem will give you a decent chance to pull +2 tomes out there in the explorer area, or on nomral in the quests. Whereas you wouldn't have that chance without one.

I wouldn't personally use one unless I planned on say Shroud Elite, Hound Elite, VoD elite, one of the Shavarath quests elite or new raid hard or elite. Then you might be pushing yourself into an area on the tables that might give you a really nice item.....

sirgog
10-01-2009, 08:30 AM
+1 tomes have always dropped in Desert area chests... Not the most common drop... But they are there....

It MIGHT be the case that by using a gem, and increasing the chest loot table by +1 would cause better items to be more common. Examp[le, maybe you have a 1 in 100 chance of rolling a +1 tome out of a desert chest normally, but with a gem you have a 1 in 75 chance. This is jsut an example, even after 3 years and thousands upon thousands of chests, it's really hard to tell exactly how the loot tables work, other than what falls where and when. But figuring the exact chances are still impossible. And since named item drops seem to be static accross N/H/E, I doubt that a gem would increase ones chance to pull named itmes.

Seems best to use them as otehrs have said, when you know a particular quest/chests level is one below a particualr level. Like the vale, a gem will give you a decent chance to pull +2 tomes out there in the explorer area, or on nomral in the quests. Whereas you wouldn't have that chance without one.

I wouldn't personally use one unless I planned on say Shroud Elite, Hound Elite, VoD elite, one of the Shavarath quests elite or new raid hard or elite. Then you might be pushing yourself into an area on the tables that might give you a really nice item.....

I may be wrong, but I believe that the gems do not increase your chance of getting a tome except at one particular breakpoint (level 8 chests, such as those in Stormcleave normal)

Instead, once the game rolls 'tome' on the loot tables (this seems to occur once in 200 chests), the gems add to the chest level, which then determines whether that nice juicy tome you just looted was a +1 tome (level 9 to 16 chest) or a +2 tome (level 17-?? chest).

captbly
12-12-2009, 03:49 PM
So do you have to be the one that actually opens the chest? or just have the jewel? Does opening the chest when having the jewel boost others loot that do not have the jewel?

CrimsonEagle
12-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Has anyone said it yet. Screenshot or it didnt' happen. /cheers

I've pulled 2 +2 tomes out of my vale loot runs. No, your not getting a screenshot. You either believe me or you dont. No skin off my back either way.

tfangel
12-12-2009, 04:12 PM
They work, ran harbor without, got all masterwork, had it on, +1 or better. Not to mention yesterday in threnal west, part 3 hard pulled a +1 wiz tome. I've *never* pulled tome out any part of threnal, this after running the parts to ransack several times over the years (between this, giant caves and co6 were my loot runs back in the day).

They just change the loot table to the "next one up", this doesn't mean you will get magically "better" loot, just the chance at better and since we can't see the loot tables, we never know exactly what that is. (that would be interesting if someday one of the devs showed exactly what was on a certain chest loot table, just for fun) You can always pull out lame loot, one elite tempest spine run (third run through, so nothing was ransacked or even close) i pulled nothing but scrolls and potions, bad rolls, that's it. It still has the possibility on any loot chart.

It's been a while since i checked, but can you still tell the cr on the chest? I know there was a way a long time ago and you could tell which chests were "more worth it", but i forget. For those that don't know, higher cr chest means higher loot table and sometimes locked, and better loot.

tfangel
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
So do you have to be the one that actually opens the chest? or just have the jewel? Does opening the chest when having the jewel boost others loot that do not have the jewel?

When *you* click on the chest it determines *your* loot by rolls, no matter who opened it (remember the days of highest diplo people opening chests, lol?), or who loots before or after. You can actually sort of see this happening, open the chest while in a group, don't close the window, as each person clicks on chest, their loot appears, if laggy it happens slower and in "stages" (gold, lower loot, coins, etc, not that order though).

So gems only affect your loot.