PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so, my first character is a Whirlwind Fighter.

Vae_Victus
09-26-2009, 11:13 PM
He's level 4 and still on his path.

As a Whirlwind Fighter, should I be wearing lighter armor so as to enjoy my DEX bonus? I'm currently wearing Full Plate +2 and my AC is 21 + 2. Is the armor affecting my DEX bonus to attacks, etc.?

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Dexterity only applies to your attack bonus when your character has the Weapon Finesse Feat and when wielding a Light weapon. Otherwise Strength is used to determine your attack bonus.

Armour's Max Dex Bonus is a cap on what bonus from Dexterity you could get. If your Dexterity is 14(+2) wearing Armour with a Max Dex Bonus of +2 won't inhibit your abilities whatsoever (With the exception being Dex & Str based skills, which are reduced according to the Armour Penalty Check.)

As long as your Strength is greater than your agility there is no reason to use the weapon finesse feat and therefor no reason to worry about Dexterity bonuses in combat. So the heavier the armour, the better.

Vae_Victus
09-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I only ask because I always figured Fighters were for tanking, and while he has 99 HP, he's not much of a tank. What role should I be looking to fill?

Gorby
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
If you are concerned with maximizing your dexterity bonus to your armor class, hover your mouse over your AC in your character sheet. If your current dex bonus (the + next to your dexterity score) is higher than your maximum dex bonus (it will tell you so if it is), then you could switch to lighter armor with less of a penalty.

Make sure that the dex bonus gained is more than the difference in the actual armor bonus or you could end up losing AC.

edit-
the +2 next to your AC is just the amount added when you are shield blocking and has nothing to do with dexterity. The bonus next to your dexterity stat is what you should be looking at.