PDA

View Full Version : Repeater+Sneak attack.

Shoobinator
09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Worthwhile or sucks so much that you'll be gimping yourself by getting rogue levels.

Discuss?

Borror0
09-26-2009, 08:16 PM
You'll be better off by meleeing than using any ranged weapon, if that's you want to know.

Now, if you're fine with "not best spec (or even close to) but somewhat acceptable", it's much more subjective. One thing you have to know is that, if you want to get sneak attack damage with ranged weapons, you'll have to be fairly close. If you're further away 30 feet from your target, you don't get sneak attack damage.

Shoobinator
09-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh A) I'm aware that having 8 strength can be a liability.
B) I'm aware that 23 dex at level 4 may be too much.
C) I'm already 3 ranger.
D) Halfling.
E) I've already taken exotic heavy rep. prof. which I may trade for light repeater given that my sneak attack bonuses would be better off with 4 shots instead of 3.
F) Ranged is better at dealing stat damage.
G) I know its not the greatest dps.

Now .. what I want to know is .. is it worthwhile to get ANY sneak attack or go full out ranger.

I'm thinking 11 ranger 9 rogue or 9 ranger 11 rogue. For sneak attack. And yes, sneak attack is *very* close quarters, but useful in a melee heavy party.

Borror0
09-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Stay pure ranger for best DPS. Upon reaching level 20, pure rangers receive a +25% DPS boost.

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Now .. what I want to know is .. is it worthwhile to get ANY sneak attack or go full out ranger.
You should get as much sneak attack as possible for a pure ranger, which means about 9 from Halfling Guile and 9 from Tharne's Goggles.

Brennie
09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I've just been playing several 2ranger/3rogue halfling repeater builds on various servers for the purpose of favor farming.

I LOVE this build! I havn't a clue how it will fare in later levels, but that wasn't its purpose.

1d10 (repeater base) + 3 (+3 repeater) + 2d6 (Sneak attack) + 3 (Rogue Sneak Attack enhancement) + 2 (Halfling sneak attack enhancement) + 2 (nimble hand) + 3 vs reptilians (Rangers favored+enhancement) x 3 shots is, frankly, absurd damage. Toss in reptile bane bolts for an extra 2d6 vs reptiles. In the harbor, i always had the highest kill count, while providing spot healing, full rogue abilities, and survivability (via kiting and pretty decent lowbie AC)

Caveats: You have to be darned close, and you have to have a *really* good aggro holder, in order to land sneak attack 3 times per attack. Typically, only the first shot gets the sneak, and the mob instantly "targets" you, even though it takes a second for it to actually aggro. You can still put the hurt on from sizable range, though, just to soften up melee targets before they get to your party.

TechNoFear
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh A) I'm aware that having 8 strength can be a liability.
B) I'm aware that 23 dex at level 4 may be too much.
C) I'm already 3 ranger.
D) Halfling.
E) I've already taken exotic heavy rep. prof. which I may trade for light repeater given that my sneak attack bonuses would be better off with 4 shots instead of 3.
F) Ranged is better at dealing stat damage.
G) I know its not the greatest dps.

I'm thinking 11 ranger 9 rogue or 9 ranger 11 rogue. For sneak attack. And yes, sneak attack is *very* close quarters, but useful in a melee heavy party.

Lgt and Hvy repeaters have the same rate of fire (AFAIK and I have played both to 16, but not in this mod).

Prestige Enhancements are 6, 12 and 18. You want to try and hit these (ie 12 is much better than 11)

Ranger Tempest is very good even for just 6th (10% TWF attack speed and +2AC).
Rogue Assasin is also good at 12 and 18 (assasinate and all weps count as vorpal)

After 10th the repeater becomes less viable due to the group mechanics (great if you CAN solo). You can swap the feat out and switch to normal bow with your multishot and Bow Str (if high lvl ranger).

IMO you should try for TWF and some ranged OR Ranged and TWF backup (less viable the higher you go). This is because in groups you should not kite mobs (as then the melees cant hit it). If you get agro stop moving and go to your TWF / S&B while the melees beat the mob down.