PDA

View Full Version : One weapon fighting

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 11:46 AM
On my Drow wizard, I have my superior potency scepter in his off hand and a Wizardry item in his main hand. After I exhaust the spell points in the wizardry item, I switch to a weapon. The problem is when I do have to swing at something, I'm two weapon fighting and run the risk of damaging my precious potency scepter. So, I'd like to be able to just swing with the weapon.

This could be an auto granted feat at the beginning that you turn on and forget.

Thanks

Asketes
09-26-2009, 11:49 AM
use the green boxes in your inventory pages called: weapon sets.

drag just the one weapon you would like to use into one of those boxes, then drag that box down onto your hotbar.

the next time you select it, you will just be using the one weapon.

same thing when you want to equip both weapons again, drag both of them into another weapon set, and drag that green box into another spot on your hotbar. this will allow you to equip up to 2 weapons or a weapon and a shield without opening up your inventory screen each time.

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks, but I know all that. I want to be holding both, but onlyattacking with the one. My mouse-fu isn't quick enough to re-equip the Potency item when I want to cast a firewall, for example, on the one's melee-ing me.

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 12:00 PM
It would not be terrible to add a toggle so that you can hold an item in the offhand without going into the TWF combat animations. To avoid confusing some players, that feat could be taught by an NPC for 10 gp, so that it's not cluttering the character sheet of people who don't understand what it's for.

Some additional rarely-useful feats that could be added along that line:
1. Disable Glancing Blows from THF.
2. Swing a one-hand weapon with both hands (not light, not pick, and not rapier or khopesh)
3. Use your shield for bash attacks during S&B attack animations.
4. Make an audible noise.
5. Dismiss charm-like effects (that you had cast)
6. Dismiss Rage spell from you (not counting Madstone)

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks, but I know all that. I want to be holding both, but onlyattacking with the one. My mouse-fu isn't quick enough to re-equip the Potency item when I want to cast a firewall, for example, on the one's melee-ing me.
As a workaround, look at the Inferno (or Efficacy) clickies. Self buff for 180 (or 60) seconds of not needing that Potency...

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 12:02 PM
One-weapon fighting in general needs to be looked at. You should be able to wield a one-handed weapon with two hands for an additional strength bonus and there are also feats that give benefits to characters who use one hand and keep the other free.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
if that's the case i'll just say:

LOL

you are a caster, let the melees do their job. and before you go popping off my caster started w/ a 16 str and duo'd his way to lvl 10 with another build of the exact make. I had the str and spells to make it work.

vainangel
09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
My solution would be to look at Quarter Staffs.
They have magic like properties and can defend you quite nice if you are out of Mana/Wands/Scrolls.
Or you could just invest in some
Wands and Scrolls

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 12:16 PM
if that's the case i'll just say:

LOL

you are a caster, let the melees do their job. and before you go popping off my caster started w/ a 16 str and duo'd his way to lvl 10 with another build of the exact make. I had the str and spells to make it work.

My solution would be to look at Quarter Staffs.
They have magic like properties and can defend you quite nice if you are out of Mana/Wands/Scrolls.
Or you could just invest in some
Wands and Scrolls

Either of you even read the topic?

The player wants to be able to swing his melee weapon without also attacking with his off-hand scepter. nothing either of you said has anything to do with this.

He can't wield his scepter if he is wielding a Quarterstaff.

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks, Cleitanious. I solo a bit with this build and some thing I don't want to waste SP on. Other things, like Skeles, pop out of the ground right beside you and my first reaction is still to smack them.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 12:55 PM

The player wants to be able to swing his melee weapon without also attacking with his off-hand scepter. nothing either of you said has anything to do with this.

you my friend are insane. i've ALREADYgiven the OP explicit instructions on how to solve this problem. how about you quit zerging the post and reread it?

of course he can't have 2 weapons in his hand and ONLY attack with one.. what the heck man, i was completely respectful to the OP b/c it's a legitimate question/concern.

drag just the one weapon you would like to use into one of those boxes, then drag that box down onto your hotbar.

same thing when you want to equip both weapons again, drag both of them into another weapon set, and drag that green box into another spot on your hotbar. this will allow you to equip up to 2 weapons or a weapon and a shield without opening up your inventory screen each time.

Shade
09-26-2009, 12:58 PM
On my Drow wizard, I have my superior potency scepter in his off hand and a Wizardry item in his main hand. After I exhaust the spell points in the wizardry item, I switch to a weapon. The problem is when I do have to swing at something, I'm two weapon fighting and run the risk of damaging my precious potency scepter. So, I'd like to be able to just swing with the weapon.

This could be an auto granted feat at the beginning that you turn on and forget.

Thanks

Thow your potentcy scepter in the stone of change with some black rocks to bind it, problem solved.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Thow your potentcy scepter in the stone of change with some black rocks to bind it, problem solved.

ooohhh shade, once again you've provided a golden answer!

and here i thought i had the best solution.

+1 rep for good info!

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I've never been called an insane zerg before - I actually kind of like it. :)

Asketes
09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I've never been called an insane zerg before - I actually kind of like it. :)

your welcome! :D

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
of course he can't have 2 weapons in his hand and ONLY attack with one..

Which is why I am suggesting making a change so it is possible. :rolleyes:

I didn't want to bind it so I can pass it to other characters and guildies. Thanks to all who actually tried to be helpful.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
may I ask why you need that other weapon in your hand?

what is it?

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 02:15 PM
On my Drow wizard, I have my superior potency scepter in his off hand and a Wizardry item in his main hand. After I exhaust the spell points in the wizardry item, I switch to a weapon.

I want to be holding both, but only attacking with the one. My mouse-fu isn't quick enough to re-equip the Potency item when I want to cast a firewall, for example, on the one's melee-ing me.

I solo a bit with this build and some thing I don't want to waste SP on. Other things, like Skeles, pop out of the ground right beside you and my first reaction is still to smack them.

how about you quit zerging the post and reread it?

m'kay?

Asketes
09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
m'kay?

haha not you, the insane zerger buddy of mine :p

we're all good.

I had asked you what the weapon is that you are holding in your offhand when you are melee'ing?

TreknaQudane
09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
2. Swing a one-hand weapon with both hands (not light, not pick, and not rapier or khopesh)

That should really be default feature so long as a shield is not equipped, no extra about it.

Doing that they may even be able to fix Bastard Swords to behave correctly....

Entwhistle
09-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Off hand is the potency scepter, main hand is usually an acid mace or flame rapier.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 02:53 PM
That should really be default feature so long as a shield is not equipped, no extra about it.

Doing that they may even be able to fix Bastard Swords to behave correctly....

what's up w/ b.swords? hadn't noticed anything wrong with them

Asketes
09-26-2009, 02:54 PM
may i ask why you you don't have 2 real weapons when you want to melee and then switch back to your potency/SP item?

whysper
09-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Did anyone bring up weapon sets? Use the green boxes in your inventory screen to create weapon/casting item combos that you can swap with one key. I really cannot imagine why you would need the caster item if you are beating up something.

Asketes
09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Did anyone bring up weapon sets? Use the green boxes in your inventory screen to create weapon/casting item combos that you can swap with one key. I really cannot imagine why you would need the caster item if you are beating up something.

I was post # 2 in this thread with that advice

TreknaQudane
09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
what's up w/ b.swords? hadn't noticed anything wrong with them

You should be able to use a Bastard Sword as a Martial Weapon (for Fighters, Barbarians, Rangers and Paladins) if you use it in two hands. If you want to wield it one handed like we do in DDO, it requires the feat.

andreascott89
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
5. Dismiss charm-like effects (that you had cast)

Given the author, I'm sure I must have this wrong but...

Didn't we get a feat with mod 9 to dismiss charm (that we had cast) at will?

Did you mean something else?

JS

whysper
09-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I was post # 2 in this thread with that advice

Yep, sure did, sorry! I was skimming through and still feel that is probably the right answer. Dunno why it is important to keep the caster item out...

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Didn't we get a feat with mod 9 to dismiss charm (that we had cast) at will?

Not quite. "We" didn't get one; arcane casters did. Clerics, Favored Souls, Rangers, and all the rest did not. My suggestion would allow anyone to gain that ability.

GeneralDiomedes
09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
My mouse-fu isn't quick enough to re-equip the Potency item when I want to cast a firewall, for example, on the one's melee-ing me.

I believe this is the real problem.

I have my most useful weapon combos mapped to keys. This is much faster than clicking on the screen. I typically map the 6 keys beside movement (RFVTGB).

T/G/B are Potency/Magi, Spell Pen/Magi and Potency/Spell Pen.

[Note putting the Magi item in the off hand means you can re-equip the Main hand (with a wand for example) without losing mana]

R on my solo casters with a bit of strength is usually a Quarterstaff.

F/V are usually other specialized one-hand damage increasing clickies or weapons that I can switch on my main hand.

With practice, you can get fast enough to switch back and forth before taking your desired combat action.

Some other things you might do to improve your combat effectiveness are track down some mana and potency items which are on body slots.

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 04:14 PM
may i ask why you you don't have 2 real weapons when you want to melee and then switch back to your potency/SP item?
Presumably he lacks TWF feats.

Although I say, I've done the exact same thing on a strength cleric, and untrained TWF with a potency offhand is surprisingly effective a lot of the time. (Obviously not when the monsters are truly dangerous, but a lot of things in DDO are just vaguely threatening mountains of hitpoints)

vainangel
09-26-2009, 05:53 PM

uh yeah mr angry pants. QS have similar enhancements to the clubs and can often exceed usefulness when in need of using a weapon. Seems to be what he was asking. Problem solved. Or he could simply get more Wizardry items...
Sorry if you are offended by my reply to someone else.

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 07:18 PM
uh yeah mr angry pants. QS have similar enhancements to the clubs and can often exceed usefulness when in need of using a weapon. Seems to be what he was asking. Problem solved. Or he could simply get more Wizardry items...
Sorry if you are offended by my reply to someone else.

Today I got called an Angry Zerg and then Mr. Angry Pants. lol. This community is great. :)

Letrii
09-27-2009, 02:28 AM
How about making a toggle on items whether you want to use it as a weapon or just get focus from it. COuld also add new scepters-like item that aren't flagged as weapons.

Asketes
09-27-2009, 03:12 AM
Today I got called an Angry Zerg and then Mr. Angry Pants. lol. This community is great. :)

such lies,

i believe the term was Insane Zerg

get it right :p

Cleitanious
09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
such lies,

i believe the term was Insane Zerg

get it right :p

It was Insane Zerg, I don't know why I typed that. lol

whysper
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
How about making a toggle on items whether you want to use it as a weapon or just get focus from it. COuld also add new scepters-like item that aren't flagged as weapons.
Those are called "rings" :)

Letrii
09-27-2009, 08:48 PM
What about rods? They are held like weapons but aren't weapons.

Cleitanious
09-27-2009, 11:24 PM
What about rods? They are held like weapons but aren't weapons.

Wands you mean? You can only use them in your main hand and they are used like weapons in that they're cast whenever you try to melee.

Letrii
09-27-2009, 11:41 PM
No, I mean metamagic rods. See page 164 of Magic item Compendium and page 236 of DMG.

Wands cast spells, the rods let you modify your spells with metamagic without needing the feat.

JOTMON
09-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I have the same issue with my caster, would be nice to have a UI setting or something where I could check a box that would disable the two weapon fighting and only swing with the primary weapon. Therefore no negatives for dual weilding and offhand weapon is not factored into combat. If I am carrying a potency or penetration item in my off hand it is not something I want to be swinging and reduce my crappy attacks even more so because I am receiving a negative for not having dual weild feats. But able to swing and cast spells without having to swap out what I have in my hands everytime.

whysper
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
OK, I see two options for a caster to be meleeing:

1. Dedicated warrior: you will actually have the TWF feats, have a two-hander or wear a board too.

2. Regular mage beating up a slime or something.

Ignoring case 1., is it not sufficient to make a weapon set with just one weapon, if you do not want to wield two weapons (the penalty for which is irrelevant if you are fighting slimes and you really should not be meleeing anything else)? Why do you need to have an item in the offhand? It is no faster to switch in and out than two weapons or a one-handed weapon set.