PDA

View Full Version : Question about sorceress...

DnD3
09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
So I made a human sorceress and I'm wondering which should I choose, 18Cha, 16Con and 10Int ir16Cha, 18Con and 10 Int?

I'm not sure exactly how an extra modifier in charisma will be more useful than 20more hp, I mean I know I won't be able to use 7th or 8th level spells if I have 16 charisma(I'm guessing I can cast 7th spells at 17 and 8 at 18 and not both at 18 when you get the 4 modifier?), or am I wrong here and I should choose 18charisma?

And is constitution HP retroactive? I know int skill points isn't but not sure about constituion.

Thanks in advanced!

lostkoss
09-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Go max CHA all the way. ALL CHA , really all you are is a walking SP battery waiting to unleash it.You want to get as many SP as you possibly can.
Then CON for more HP then either INT or DEX depending on what your specialties will be.

HP gains ARE retroactive to levels with CON.As well as SP are retroactive to whatever respective stat it would be. CHA in this case.

And read the forgotten realms book Spellfire. lol :)

Osharan_Tregarth
09-25-2009, 09:05 PM
18Cha, 16Con and 10Int

these would be the stats I'd go with. As a caster, your casting stat is the most important thing. Keep it maxed, and put all level up points into it.

If you're really strapped for hp's, and keep dying a lot.. You might be able to fit in a toughness feat(and the racial enhancements to go with it) at the lower levels. But I'd plan on swapping it out later for a more casting focused feat.

DnD3
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I guess when I get a war forged I'll make a wizard and give him 20Con and 18int, I remember in BG2 I made a Kensai/Mage, is there a build near that since I always enjoyed that, even more so than pure mage or Cleric/fighter.

And I have Concentration, Use Magic Item, and I'm not sure on what to get next, I hear Diplomacy is good but not sure if there is a better third option.

Brennie
09-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Concentration is a must (Even when if/when you do get quicken spell, concntration will still be useful anytime you use a wand/scroll or turn quicken off to save Spellpoints).

UMD is awesomesauce.

Diplomacy makes a strong 3rd, with these notes: Diplomacy has a bit of a long cast (especially for a sorceror, who is used to casting rather quickly), and its difficult to tell if you're using it and whether it works or not. Often there are better spells to use to save yourself, like web, hypnotism, ottos irrisistable dance, or even jump. BUT when conserving spellpoints, or having difficulty making your spells stick, diplomacy is a proactive way to shed some aggro.

Other choices are: Jump (up to 10 points), Balance (If you find yourself knocked down a lot), Haggle (only mentioned because of your naturally high charisma. hagglebot characters tend to be more effective, but you could certainly get a lot of good deals on items and consumables, not to mention offloading all your phat lewts).

Oh, and remember, if you don't max out swim, your character is forever permenantly gimped. No really. I swear. Just because you get a waterbreathing ring from the very first quest your character ever runs, plus the easy availibility of waterbreathing clickies and underwater action items doesn't mean Swim is totally useless for any character in every circumstance ever. Its totally useful, cause of uhm... y'know... well... it worked for Michael Phelps, didn't it?

DnD3
09-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Concentration is a must (Even when if/when you do get quicken spell, concntration will still be useful anytime you use a wand/scroll or turn quicken off to save Spellpoints).

UMD is awesomesauce.

Diplomacy makes a strong 3rd, with these notes: Diplomacy has a bit of a long cast (especially for a sorceror, who is used to casting rather quickly), and its difficult to tell if you're using it and whether it works or not. Often there are better spells to use to save yourself, like web, hypnotism, ottos irrisistable dance, or even jump. BUT when conserving spellpoints, or having difficulty making your spells stick, diplomacy is a proactive way to shed some aggro.

Other choices are: Jump (up to 10 points), Balance (If you find yourself knocked down a lot), Haggle (only mentioned because of your naturally high charisma. hagglebot characters tend to be more effective, but you could certainly get a lot of good deals on items and consumables, not to mention offloading all your phat lewts).

Oh, and remember, if you don't max out swim, your character is forever permenantly gimped. No really. I swear. Just because you get a waterbreathing ring from the very first quest your character ever runs, plus the easy availibility of waterbreathing clickies and underwater action items doesn't mean Swim is totally useless for any character in every circumstance ever. Its totally useful, cause of uhm... y'know... well... it worked for Michael Phelps, didn't it?

Seriously, swiming skill has got to be the most useless skill ever.. and I think I sold that ring >_>... so.. *maxes swimming*

TinyHowie
09-26-2009, 05:00 AM
High Cha gives higher spell DC for the spells you casts, making them more difficult to resist. I recommend you pick one favourite school of spells and put spell focus -> greater spell focus in it, then go greater spell penetration. Nothing's better than having all your spells landing on targets all the time.

bobbryan2
09-26-2009, 05:04 AM
High Cha gives higher spell DC for the spells you casts, making them more difficult to resist. I recommend you pick one favourite school of spells and put spell focus -> greater spell focus in it, then go greater spell penetration. Nothing's better than having all your spells landing on targets all the time.

You mean... "nothing would be greater than having all your spells land on targets all the time."

I wish...

MissErres
09-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Max Charisma...

Point,... click... shoot!!

UBERNESS!!! :D

I luv me sorcs.

Brennie
09-26-2009, 05:21 AM

The usefulness of spellfocus is debatable, but the usefulness of maxed charisma is not. Always max Charisma, but do some serious build planning before trying to fit in 2 spell focuses. Sorcerors don't have the extra feats wizards get, and have many metamagics they will rely on to be superawesomesauce, which will take up a good number of feat selections. Force of Personality is also a high priority feat. Justifying +2 DC to only a select few spells while using two whole feats is a little difficult, in my opinion (especially given the variety of useful spells availible from multiple schools, and that save-less spells are often preferable at higher levels anyhow).

issiana
09-26-2009, 05:25 AM
i'm with brennie re the spell focus feats.

Us sorcs are a bit streched with must have feats.

mind you. if your human that extra human feat could be used for at least 1 spell focus.

but re char. max it. its a must :)

TinyHowie
09-26-2009, 05:27 AM
The usefulness of spellfocus is debatable, but the usefulness of maxed charisma is not. Always max Charisma, but do some serious build planning before trying to fit in 2 spell focuses. Sorcerors don't have the extra feats wizards get, and have many metamagics they will rely on to be superawesomesauce, which will take up a good number of feat selections. Force of Personality is also a high priority feat. Justifying +2 DC to only a select few spells while using two whole feats is a little difficult, in my opinion (especially given the variety of useful spells availible from multiple schools, and that save-less spells are often preferable at higher levels anyhow).

The way I see it, metamagic feats are quite spell point inefficient on spells below level 4, which is before level 8. If you're not human you still have 3 feats there. If not spell focus then spell penetration could be good choice.

issiana
09-26-2009, 05:31 AM
The way I see it, metamagic feats are quite spell point inefficient on spells below level 4, which is before level 8. If you're not human you still have 3 feats there. If not spell focus then spell penetration could be good choice.

yeah i can see your point. however you'll be wanting a few dragonshards to feat swap before the level makes the cost way to high.

but hey, what ever you find works for you is all that matters. its your character, play it your way. thats the fun part of DDO we are all different characters even though we are the same class :)

ddoer
09-26-2009, 06:06 AM
but hey, what ever you find works for you is all that matters. its your character, play it your way. thats the fun part of DDO we are all different characters even though we are the same class :)

yes, build your toon in your way. but still, max cha. There is no fun when you find your spell can't land. Your cha modifier affect most of the spells. And you shouldn't worry too much about HP. first, there are many ways to compensate the missing HP (such as using displacement spell, rage, fire/cold shield, protection etc.) second and more importantly, with proper gear, your HP will be enough without the 2 Con, but your DC will not be enough even if you put 2 more point to it.

re. feat/spell-focus, it's largely depend on your playing style. for those who double-focus on school, mostly (if not all) will focus on necro or enchantment or conjuration. nuker build usually take both maximized and empowered. search the sorc forum for more information.

now, there is a my.ddo.com site that make the stats of every toon public. when other people notice your cha is not max'd, they may think you are a noob or your toon is broken. :D

benchmark yourself against the highest possible charisma:
http://www.ddoer.com/guide/max/charisma
(remarks: it's actually not the highest. somebody mentioned about a rare collectable-exchanged pots that last for 1-2 mins and effects of such pots are not included )

whysper
09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
The Cha depends on whether you intend to focus on instakill- or CC spells: if so, it is certainly worth considering. Otherwise, one option is to just make both 17 instead. You will find +1 items in short order, and you get your Enhancements and level-up increases. Another is to go 18 Cha and save one Spell Focus feat (theoretically) to use for Toughness instead: with Enhancements, it ends up much more than the 1HP/level from the Con granted that also helps with Fortitude saves.

The super-high Con is not necessary as such...even my 14 starting Con elfins manage to do alright.