PDA

View Full Version : Rather obnoxious handling of AFK users.

giveuptg
09-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I seem to have noticed that if you go AFK for a period of time while in-game, not only does it log you out, it completely closes the DDO client on your computer?

Why would it ever do this? What if I had no intention to log out, much less close the game entirely?

KoboldKiller
09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I seem to have noticed that if you go AFK for a period of time while in-game, not only does it log you out, it completely closes the DDO client on your computer?

Why would it ever do this? What if I had no intention to log out, much less close the game entirely?

It reduces server load. Just like setting your comp to sleep mode. Why use resources when they aren't needed.

giveuptg
09-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Okay, I understand that for players who are in-game, causing transfer between client and server.

But why not just boot you to the character select screen? No transfer occurs if you're not interacting with the game, but it'd still be much less annoying than having to open DDO and log in again...

Cleitanious
09-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Okay, I understand that for players who are in-game, causing transfer between client and server.

But why not just boot you to the character select screen? No transfer occurs if you're not interacting with the game, but it'd still be much less annoying than having to open DDO and log in again...

You're still connected to the server so other players cannot queue in. If you want to go AFK longer then pay for an account.