PDA

View Full Version : Sage Advice or Dungeon Etiquette for Newbs

TehSilence
09-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Was a subscriber for a year, quit about a year ago, back to support F2P with a little cash here and there. Here are some things I remember learning when I first played. They are mostly about etiquette and DDO culture, but knowing about them may help you act like a vet even if you aren't one yet.

* Having a heal skill boost through an enhancement (like the ones you get from action points that give you +2 to all skills for 20 seconds) OR from an item that you wear is great to activate or put on just before you shrine. The higher the heal skill, the more you recover when shrining. Then you can go back to what you normally wear. Also [credit SnowyWolf for reminding me] the repair skill works the same way for Warforged.

* Likewise with the haggle skill; keep a set of bracers, a ring or a pair of goggles with haggle and put them on when selling or buying for a few extra coins in your favor. It gets to be quite a bit as you go up in levels and can use items with greater bonuses.

* When in a party and about to shrine, if you are not in a hurry have the spellcasters shrine last. When everyone but the casters have finished, the spellcasters can throw their single-buff spells on individuals to use up any excess spell points before they shrine, after which they will presumably have full spell points and a buffed party.

* Be careful with your pets. They are good to have in a big fight because of the interference they run. But for the most part, your pets are not as powerful as the weakest member of your party. And, they can cause trouble if they run ahead and attack something before your party is ready, or run off and attack mobs from a place you weren't planning on going yet. For the most part, use pets when you solo or are with only a couple of people. In a big party, only pull them out for big battles.

* Here are a couple of items that everyone should have on all their characters: water breathing item (full-time, not just the spell), and feather falling (full-time, not just the spell). You can find items that have these affects relatively quickly in the game.

* Repair your items after every quest, especially if you have fought slimes (oozes, jellies, etc.). I've heard some say you don't need to repair them that often -- that's small consolation if your weapon breaks in the middle of a quest and you have no backup. Also if you don't have a muckbane, buy some cheap wooden clubs to use on slimes and don't ever repair them, just throw them away when they break. They are cheap enough.

* If you have a magic bow/crossbow, and you find any +1 arrows/bolts, sell them for cash. The +1 of the weapon and the +1 of the missile do not stack, so you get no benefit from the missile bonus -- may as well have the money and buy normal arrows/bolts.

I'll add more as I remember.

TehSilence
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
A couple more.

* When you start to hit level 4-6, you can really endear yourself to a healer if you give them a wand of healing (cure light, cure moderate, etc.) prior to beginning a mission. Most healers use wands to supplement their spells, and they can be dang expensive. Note: There's no way you can do this when you first start the game, wands are too expensive. But as you make money, remember the healers.

* Likewise, Paladins or Rangers have the ability to use healing wands and can help heal if necessary. You'll garner party favor points (Ha!) from topping people off or healing yourself every once in a while to save others' spell points or wand charges.

* This really is a no-brainer, but in any combat situation, it's almost always a benefit if you kill or disable enemy spellcasters quickly. Yes, someone needs to intercept the big bad guys before they take out your weaker characters, but a Rogue, Ranger or a secondary fighting character makes a great candidate to quickly sprint ahead and take out enemy casters before they lightning-bolt or debuff you. So try to get good at identifying the names of enemies (Shaman, etc.) that cast spells so you know who to target.

* If you are a Rogue or another character with a good Spot skill, make sure you call out or type "hidden" when you see the tell-tale blinks of hidden foes. Many characters such as fighting classes have poor spot skills and will be completely unaware of the bad guys until they sneak-attack them. Things that sneak are rogue-type humanoids, wolves, ghouls, and wights.

dbrowdy
09-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't knwo that about the heal skill and shrines. Thanks for the good tips!

ivar415
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
* If you have a magic bow/crossbow, and you find any +1 arrows/bolts, sell them for cash. The +1 of the weapon and the +1 of the missile do not stack, so you get no benefit from the missile bonus -- may as well have the money and buy normal arrows/bolts.Doesn´t the +1 arrow allow you to overcome some Monster Damage Reduction? Also it still adds one to your damage, right?

Visty
09-25-2009, 03:30 PM
it doesnt help against DR as in ddo is no dr/+x, we just have dr/slashing etc

and yes, it does add to damage, but the +1 of your bow does that too and thus they dont stack

SnowyWolf
09-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Great tips! +1 Rep.

In your healing note, you should add that Repair functions the same way for Warforged and that Warforged dont benefit from the Heal skill.

MissErres
09-25-2009, 03:50 PM
+1 Rep Silence. Nice post.

A couple other points...

*A Detect secret door clickie or wand is very useful for finding hidden doors when you do not have a rogue with you.

*Some pots or wands every character should carry with then... Remove Curse/Remove Disease/Lesser Restoration/Poison resist (or item)/Remove Blindness and self-healing. (I know some of these can be expensive to buy, but if you pull them from chests, hang on to them and put them on your hotbar.)

*Fear removal clickie can come in handy at times as well.

TehSilence
09-26-2009, 09:11 AM
+1 Rep Silence. Nice post.

A couple other points...

*A Detect secret door clickie or wand is very useful for finding hidden doors when you do not have a rogue with you.

*Some pots or wands every character should carry with then... Remove Curse/Remove Disease/Lesser Restoration/Poison resist (or item)/Remove Blindness and self-healing. (I know some of these can be expensive to buy, but if you pull them from chests, hang on to them and put them on your hotbar.)

*Fear removal clickie can come in handy at times as well.

Excellent points, Miss!

And to add to your clickie-thread, you can get remove curse clickies, remove disease clickies, lesser restoration clickies, cure poison clickies, haste clickies, etc. They are not common, but they aren't that rare either.

* What's a clickie? It's any item like a ring, boots, helmet, etc. that has a spell effect enchanted into it so that when you use the item the spell effect happens. You can place clickies in your hotbar. If you click it and you're NOT wearing it, you equip it (put it on) and it replaces whatever else you were wearing in that slot. If you click it and you ARE wearing it, it performs whatever spell effect it has been enchanted with. Clickies have charges or uses that are shown in a little number on the bottom of the description. The numbers recharge when you rest or recover. Clickies are great in almost all forms except armor (since armor has a timer to equip that sort of defeats the purpose of the clickie speed).

* How do you rest or recover? Three ways: 1) rest at a moon shrine; 2) Walk into a tavern and stay there for around 45 seconds until you hear a ringing sound and see yourself light up with power; 3) Complete a quest, and upon recalling/exiting you will have rested.

* Death in DDO: When you reach 0 health points or lower you are incapacitated and fall to the ground. Without hindrance from monsters still hitting you, or without help from others healing you or certain feats you can have, you will slowly lose a health point every round or so, until you reach -10 at which point you die. Each time you lose a point you have a chance to stabilize and stop dropping points. Once you have stabilized you will slowly regenerate health 1 point per round until you reach 1 health, at which point you will stand up and have full control again. If you die, you drop a soul stone (glowing icon shimmering in the air) and become a ghost-like form of yourself.

* Recovering from death: If you become the ghost version of you, you are on a rubber-band timer, with one end of the rubber band tied to your ghost form, and the other to your soul stone. You can run anywhere you could normally travel -- not through closed doors, but you can swim or jump -- until the timer ticks and the rubber band snaps you back to your soul stone. If you are soloing, the only thing you can do to recover while still in the dungeon is to find a ressurrection shrine and use it to ressurrect. If you cannot find or reach a shrine in your ghost form, you have to release out. If you have friends in the dungeon, they can pick up your soul stone if they have one inventory slot open, and can run you closer to a shrine. Your rubber band is now tied to the person that's carrying your stone, so when they get near a shrine you will be able to ressurrect. Your soul stone disappears from wherever it was when you ressurrect.

* Releasing and re-entering: If you have to release, you have five minutes to recover and re-enter the dungeon if you want to continue where you left off. The best thing to do is find a nearby tavern (which is why it's important to always set your rebirth point at a tavern near the dungeon) and pay some money for food and drink to help you recover faster. You only need drink if you need to recover spell points; if you are not a caster, just buy food. Spend a little time before your adventure looking at the food and drink available and pick the items that are the least cost but will restore you with enough time to get back to the dungeon. As you progress in level you'll need to buy more expensive items to recover, but you'll have the money. If you wait until you are dead to figure out what you need, you're wasting recovery time! Also, you'll have a death penalty which reduces your characters abilities. As long as you stay in the tavern long enough for the 45 seconds to reset, that should get rid of it.

More later.

TehSilence
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Great tips! +1 Rep.

In your healing note, you should add that Repair functions the same way for Warforged and that Warforged dont benefit from the Heal skill.

Thanks, Wolf. I updated the above.

Beld
09-26-2009, 09:21 AM
on a timer, takes a few seconds to get going, but if you do stabalize, you won't ley there forever at a negative number, you will get a 'heal' icon in your buff bar and will heal 1 hitpoint per round (6 seconds) until you are back a 1 hitpoint and which time you will stand up and cease to heal.

The diehard feat (free for rangers at level 4 or 6) will also keep you from bleeding out as will being a warforged (constructs don't bleed).

Good tips, just wanted to add a little to the discussion :)

lostkoss
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Beld is correct.

If you stabilize you will heal back to 1 hp and stand back up.A quick potion or two can get you back in the action even if you are surrounded.

I've gotten revenge quite a few times in this manner.

And you don't lose the experience bonus for zero deaths in this manner.

TehSilence
09-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Hm... what you are describing used to be a feat-only effect. I was unaware that it is now standard for all characters. I'll check up on it, but if so, thanks for the update!

TehSilence
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Got confirmation, and it was my misapplication. I remember first noticing the healing after I had gotten the Diehard feat, and assumed the healing was part of it. All my characters had diehard so I just assumed that was part of it.

*Updating*

And +1 Rep for the corrections!

Brennie
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
One very important and often misunderstood tip:

Bonuses of the same type do not stack - Pay attention to what *kind* of bonus a spell or item gives you, as they will overlap with same-type bonuses, and only the highest one will take effect. For example, Chain Shirts (like the one given in the tutorial) give a character a +4 armor bonus to their Armor Class. The Mage Armor spells likewise gives a +4 armor bonus to Armor Class. Casting Mage Armor on a character wearing a chain shirt will give them no benefit, as the two Armor bonuses won't stack. The chain-shirt wearing player can benefit from a Sheild spell (Sheild bonus to Armor class, if they don't already have a sheild) or Protection from evil/Sheild of Faith (Both deflection bonuses to armor class), or dodge bonuses from feats and enhancements (Dodge bonuses, unlike other bonuses, DO stack).

Other examples to note are +stat items. Three +1 enhancement bonus to strength items (almost every +stat item in the game are enhancement bonus) will still only give +1 strength. The spell Bulls Strength is also an enhancement bonus, and will overlap the +1, giving a net gain of +3 strength (instead of +4, like the spell states). Bonuses from enhancements (Fighters Strength I, for example) *will* stack with enhancement bonuses from items and spells.

Bless, Aid, and Bard songs are Morale Bonus, and will not stack, as well. Aid will still give temporary hitpoints, though.

Anarkius
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Great thread topic, just a few items of note...

-Paladins, Rangers, Clerics and Bards can ALL use wands to heal. And can do so from first level (if you are fortunate enough to have either wands or the money to buy them). Scrolls and spells are a different story, you will either need to be appropriate level or have a high enough Use Magic Device skill to use them effectively.

-You can trade in Colectables for useful items (eg: Sweet White Cap mushrooms can be turned in for Cure/Repair Light potions and Deadly Feverblanch mushrooms for Remove Disease potions). Other great trade ins are the Icons of Khyber (provides Reptillian Bane weapons and ammunition), and the other harbor collectables can be used to get cure wands (from Giles Goodman) and some nice starter robes (from Walsh - near the banker) for casters. Some collectables are used for crafting so hang on to these (Prayer Beads, Vials of Pure Water, etc.)

Great post +1 Rep for the OP.

Brennie
09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
-You can trade in Colectables for useful items (eg: Sweet White Cap mushrooms can be turned in for Cure/Repair Light potions and Deadly Feverblanch mushrooms for Remove Disease potions). Other great trade ins are the Icons of Khyber (provides Reptillian Bane weapons and ammunition), and the other harbor collectables can be used to get cure wands (from Giles Goodman) and some nice starter robes (from Walsh - near the banker) for casters. Some collectables are used for crafting so hang on to these (Prayer Beads, Vials of Pure Water, etc.)

Specifically, save/sell these to the Auction House:

Prayer Beads, Vials of Pure Water, Tome: Prophecy of Khyber, Silver Flame Hymnal, Luminescent Dust, Fragrant Drowshood Mushrooms, Sparkling Dust, Deadly Feverblanch, Lightning Split Soarwood (This is a biggy, worth TONS), Funerary Token.

TehSilence
09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Some more.

* If you use two-handed weapons, your reach is longer than a typical weapon. Work on your timing so you can hit things as they approach you before they can hit you. You'll avoid a lot of damage when you one-shot things.

* If you don't have a muckbane or cheap wooden clubs for slimes, use your crossbow or bow. Piercing weapons don't seem to divide slimes at the rate slashing weapons do, if at all. And of course, this keeps them away from you.

* If you are trying to get favor quickly and one of your group-mates has a VIP account, let them open the quest and select the difficulty first. They can open a quest they have never done before on Hard difficulty, while other types of accounts can only open a new mission on Normal.

* Keep your inventory lean so you never have to stop to manage it so you can pick up loot. Buy inexpensive quivers to store lots of arrows and bolts. Periodically do a gather with your quiver to get any new missiles you've picked up out of inventory, or set it to auto-gather. Set your gem and collectible bags to auto-gather new items. Experiment with new potions to see if they are worth keeping. For instance, after you have a few bonuses from stats and items, find out if potions like Bull's Strength, Mage Armor, Shield of Faith, etc. actually give you any bonuses. If not, you can give them to others or leave them to keep your inventory lean.

* You can buff and heal your pets inside dungeons, as well most NPCs that play on your side inside any quest. For pets, consider doing it as soon as they pop up. For NPCs you will need to designate someone to keep an eye on them if you don't want them to die.

DANTEIL
09-29-2009, 05:10 PM
* If you have a magic bow/crossbow, and you find any +1 arrows/bolts, sell them for cash. The +1 of the weapon and the +1 of the missile do not stack, so you get no benefit from the missile bonus -- may as well have the money and buy normal arrows/bolts.

I have a question about this: So I have a Ranger with the Ember Bow, which I believe does +1 fire damage. Would the fire damage stack with a +1 missile damage or not? (given every other thing I've read here about the lack of stacking, I'm betting the answer is no :)

SquelchHU
09-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a question about this: So I have a Ranger with the Ember Bow, which I believe does +1 fire damage. Would the fire damage stack with a +1 missile damage or not? (given every other thing I've read here about the lack of stacking, I'm betting the answer is no :)

If it's not actually +1, it will stack. But keeping stocked on +1 arrows is still a pain so I wouldn't do it.

TehSilence
09-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Good question. The Ember bow is a Masterwork bow which gives a +1 to hit only, and has the Ember power which gives a +1 fire effect to damage only.

I haven't tested it, but I suspect that +1 arrows would not stack with the Masterwork's +1 to hit, but would stack and give you an additional +1 to damage.

So you'd have to decide whether you'd rather have the cash or the extra point (it's probably not a lot of cash).

DoctorWhofan
09-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I would advise giving wands and scrolls (heal and raise dead scrolls are welcomed by clerics) AT THE END OF THE QUEST. Not all Clerics deserved to be tipped. ALSO, SOme bards and FvS are healers. THe same rules apply andthey deserve to be tipped for a job well done, if you can afford it.

ALSO, if you are playing a caster with Haste, please wait until the buffing is finished before casting. Green means go usually, and the tanks go tearing off without realising that some vital buffs did not get casted on them.

IF you are in a situation where half the party is dead and you have the aggro...run the creatures around until the party is raised. Furthermore, if you get raised and the battle is still going, please do not accept the raise in the middle of the battle, nor do not run into battle without healing yourself.

Please do not stand on your stones if you are dead. If someone is kiting and grabbing stones to take to the shrine, it is hard to target and grab them if you are standing on it.

Clerics and other healers, whether on wands or scrolls or just spells, CANNOT HEAL THROUGH WALLS. Make sure you stay within your healer's vision, or they will not heal you.

Club'in
09-30-2009, 06:11 PM
A word of warning on Haggle items. Try not to have it in the same equipment slot as your Constitution item. It's pretty embarrassing to have rezzed back into the tavern, and then immediately die again as you swap your con item out for your haggle item (losing it's bonus hit points in the process).

TehSilence
10-01-2009, 12:25 PM
A word of warning on Haggle items. Try not to have it in the same equipment slot as your Constitution item. It's pretty embarrassing to have rezzed back into the tavern, and then immediately die again as you swap your con item out for your haggle item (losing it's bonus hit points in the process).

Embarrassing yes... BUT VERY, VERY FUNNY!!

TehSilence
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Some more.

* When it's you against more than one foe, and it's not a situation where you just mow through them with one shot each, use tumble, jump, or movement to position one foe in between you and as many others as you can. Beat on the one in front of you, but keep from being flanked by maneuvering so you always keep a bad guy in between you and the other bad guys. The Pros: 1) you get hit less because the others have to move to hit you; 2) they guy directly in front of you gets nailed by the enemy casters' spells meant for you if they are in line of sight. The Con: You likely have a penalty to hit because of your movement (can be overcome by feats), but the bad guys presumably have this penalty as well. The penalty is still usually better than being hit by multiple foes at once.

* If you use auto-attack as a part of your regular combat effort, be aware it automatically shuts off when you perform certain actions, such as searching. It also does not automatically start when you log in.

* Sneaking is also similar, in that certain actions such as opening a door or secret door will stop your sneaking. A good strategy is often to stand off to the side of a door as far as you can while still being able to target and open the door. When it opens, in most cases you will still be out of line of sight and can resume sneaking without alerting baddies behind the door.

* Speaking of auto-attack, it can be a good way to get the best timing of a blow against an oncoming enemy. If you use a two-handed weapon, and don't have the twitch-timing down to get the first hit before they can hit you, having auto-attack on and targeting them while they are still out of range will usually get you a well-timed first shot. You can still swing away as you see fit with auto-attack on.

Mercules
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Clerics and other healers, whether on wands or scrolls or just spells, CANNOT HEAL THROUGH WALLS.

I can Too!

Divine Healing - but remember it will VERY slowly regen you for a a small amount so you are better off staying in my LoS where I can use all of my tools. :)

TehSilence
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I can Too!

:)

lol!

This reminds me of another point.

* If you are playing what I might call a "utility role", (that is, you are not the main or secondary tank, and you are not primarily a caster), it is always a good idea to do a visual sweep of the battlefield between each kill (each KILL, not each battle -- this means while the battle is going on, after you make a kill, and before you pick another enemy). Specifically examine the casters or other more squishy players that typically stand in the back. Their tasks often hinder them from noticing if there is any threat coming from behind, or worse -- already hitting them, that they just assume is collateral damage from area affect spells from the front. Many scripted dungeon encounters spawn ambushes from behind, and you could always have missed something that was alerted by your current fight. Undead and other hidden things are really good at sneaking up from behind, and having a key caster lose a couple of levels without knowing it can lead to a party wipe.

MissErres
10-02-2009, 04:32 AM

Been there, done that! (More times than I care to count. :o)

TehSilence
10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
A couple more, in the context of buying gear:

Learn how the item level progression works: For example, weapons and armor typically increase in potency every even level. So you can get +1 Full Plate for your level 1 character. But +2 Full Plate has a minimum level restriction of 2, the +3 version has a minimum level of 4, and so on. Same with weapons. Clothing, jewelry, and trinkets on the other hand, increase in potency every odd level. This will help you know at what levels you should look for better weapons/armor/items, and when you can skip it.
When looking for gear for your level in the auction house, look at the gear for your level, but also consider looking 2 levels lower than than you are. Some items have a race restriction (i.e., only usable by Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, etc.), and those items have their level restriction dropped one notch. So a set of +4 Full Plate with no race restriction normally has a minimum level of 6; but with a race restriction the minimum level is reduced to 4. So you may find the same item you were looking for in the lower level slot, provided you match that race. Conversely, make sure you scrutinize the items at the highest level you can use for race restrictions in your favor that might let you use something generally restricted for higher levels due to you matching the race restriction.
Gear typically increases in potency for each *special* enhancement it carries. So our +4 set of Full Plate which normally carries a minimum level of 6 can have its minimum level bumped to 8 if it carries an additional special ability, like Blueshine. Generally, at low levels you want to avoid having "multi-classed" gear, since you want the best primary enhancement you can get at your level. So a "+6 Dexterous Ring" normally carries a minimum level of 13, while a "+6 Dexterous Ring of Swimming" carries a minimum level of 15.

Pop Quiz for Rep: A +5 Dexterous Ring of Swimming" with a race restriction of Halfling has a minimum level of ??

Mercules
10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Pop Quiz for Rep: A +5 Dexterous Ring of Swimming" with a race restriction of Halfling has a minimum level of ??

Can't be calculated..

Is that Swim +3? Swim +5? Swim +7?

Also doesn't help that occasionally +5 stat items can be ML X or ML Y.

Most likely it is Min Level 11 but there are variables un-accounted for.

Saice
10-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Hey there nice thread figured I'd toss in a few Warforged related things. Yes I know F2P will most likely not have Warforged unless they paid for them from the shop but still some will do it and it is good to know a few things.

* As with heal wands repair wands can be handed off to wizards, sorcerers , or anyone with decent UMD. But be mindful these people are not always used to healing as a job so they might not always be up to speed on keeping you upright and mobile. But it helps.

* In the light of the above comment carry repair pots as a WF most people will assume you are at lest semi-self reliant.

* If you can not repair you self via spell or wand please take Healers Friend up to II and let the party healer know you have it. While at lower levels the players might not know just what this means mid to high level people should. It makes healing a WF a bit easier. You still do not get full HP for a heal but it does help.

* Remember to be mindful that of what you can not use. When you open a chest be mindful that WF can not use any armor so that sweet +1 plate mail is only just vendor trash to you. So it will go a long way to offer it to other party members. In return they might be more giving when they find a docent (WF armor) or oils of repair.

* WF are immune to a lot of bad stuff and newer players might not know this. Check to your list of immunity and remember them. When that guy is tossing around neutralize poison you might need to remind him the first time that as a WF you don't need it.

* You as a WF don't need air. As such if others don't have water breathing stuff and all you need to do is flip a switch or something under water just offer to do it. You have no chance of dieing.

* Don't call the Meatbags Meatbag ... they don't like it.

Callavan
10-02-2009, 03:40 PM

Uh.. ... subtract a notch... carry the three...
... ten! Wait, that's too even... nine:confused: Eleven?

:D

TehSilence
10-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Oops, Merc gets the rep for pointing out my error. Should've picked something without a level ranking. :mad:

Callavan gets rep for answering what I intended the answer to be.

TehSilence
10-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Don't call the Meatbags Meatbag ... they don't like it.

lol... is this saying from someplace other than KOTR? I've always wondered where it came from.

Saice
10-02-2009, 03:55 PM
lol... is this saying from someplace other than KOTR? I've always wondered where it came from.

I'm sure it has been used before but it got hammered into my brain from KOTOR HK-47 would always be in my party no mater how I ran that game becuase he just to funny not to have around.

As a Meme I'm sure most people are taking it from KOTOR.

SquelchHU
10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
When looking for gear for your level in the auction house, look at the gear for your level, but also consider looking 2 levels lower than than you are. Some items have a race restriction (i.e., only usable by Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, etc.), and those items have their level restriction dropped one notch. So a set of +4 Full Plate with no race restriction normally has a minimum level of 6; but with a race restriction the minimum level is reduced to 4. So you may find the same item you were looking for in the lower level slot, provided you match that race. Conversely, make sure you scrutinize the items at the highest level you can use for race restrictions in your favor that might let you use something generally restricted for higher levels due to you matching the race restriction.

About this, one more thing. Bound equipment is also considered one 'tier' lower. You can tell the tier of an item by looking in the top right corner of its description. Tier directly correlates to level requirement so lower tier means lower level while still being just as good aside from being bound. Pay very close attention to the end rewards of low level quest chains. Often the rewards are Bound to Account and consequently better than non bound items would be. They can also be Bound to Character which works the same way, except the item needs to be useful to your current character for obvious reasons. This is why you can get +5 skill items that have no level requirement from the Sharn Syndicate, and it can also give you very nice things like Flaming of Pure Good weapons with a level requirement of 2. It's not common, but it can happen. If you have access to a shared bank it is a very good idea to run that quest series a few times just for all the nice level 1 and 2 gear. It's not the only example though.

Saice
10-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh another thing for a Noob WF

*Rust monsters... they are not your friends. Do not taunt happy fun time rust monster. No really these things do some big damage to WF (not to say anything about everyone's gear). Take them on at range or nuke them with spells. Even WF fighters will at lest try and take these things out first in combat.

TehSilence
10-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Oh another thing for a Noob WF

*Rust monsters... they are not your friends. Do not taunt happy fun time rust monster. No really these things do some big damage to WF (not to say anything about everyone's gear). Take them on at range or nuke them with spells. Even WF fighters will at lest try and take these things out first in combat.

Yes, this is about the only time you'll see the WF Barbarian run and hide behind the many-shot Ranger. :p

Saice
10-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, this is about the only time you'll see the WF Barbarian run and hide behind the many-shot Ranger. :p

Hey don't underestimate the power of the Barbarian Ranger bromace. Hey it can get lonely on those long trips.

Brennie
10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey don't underestimate the power of the Barbarian Ranger bromace. Hey it can get lonely on those long trips.

Brokeback Warforged o_O?

Saice
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Brokeback Warforged o_O?

Na mostly Warforged just like to cuddle.

Brennie
10-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Na mostly Warforged just like to cuddle.

Oh, so thats what that squeaky metal-on-metal sound is i always hear from the warforged room in the tavern. I kept telling the barkeep he needed to oil the matress springs, cause everytime someone rolled over in the night, it sounded like someone was dragging a suit of platemail across a rusty sheet of steel.

It always confused me when he said the matresses didn't *have* springs...

TehSilence
10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
A couple more, focused on Elite difficulty:

Obviously running through quests on Hard and Elite makes a difference in the level of mobs you see and in the level of spells they cast, but the biggest difference in my opinion is in how hard the traps hurt. Don't be surprised if triggering a trap on Elite difficulty one-shots your weaker party members and gives big ouchies to the stronger ones. In quests where you have a choice of trap or monster (such as Sunken Sewer & Butcher's Path), go for the monster, especially if you don't have a veteran trapsmith.

If you land in a Pickup group (PUG) with people you don't know, unless there is a strong leader (not very often) the group will be likely to Zerg (speed through) on all difficulties. On Elite difficulty it is especially important to stay together and control aggro. Those monsters that your big guys were killing in one-shot on Normal and Hard take 5-7 shots on Elite, and because the melee characters can't switch off to new targets as quickly, the casters are going to be getting hit by enemies they would have had trouble soloing on Normal difficulty. If a team doesn't play smart, you'll have a mess of caster casualties in a hurry, and without healing or crowd control your big guys won't last long either. Try to get your group to pull mobs into rooms you've cleared and use magical crowd control to fight them one or two at a time.

If you start a quest mistakenly on the incorrect difficulty, the easiest way to correct it is to have everyone step outside, disband the party and reform it, then enter on the correct difficulty. If you don't disband, then the party must wait 5 minutes for the quest to reset itself. Disbanding allows for immediate re-entry once you reform.

gorloch
10-18-2009, 01:12 PM
My biggest advice is if you are new to a quest let the party know. Generally someone will keep an eye out for you and let you know whats going on.

PIXA