PDA

View Full Version : Naive MMO question

DANTEIL
09-25-2009, 01:21 PM
So not only am I a complete newbie to DDO, but I'm new to MMOs in general. I played PnP AD&D back in the day, and was very excited when I learned about the free-to-play DDO and immediately signed up. I've been enjoying it so far -- am only 2nd level, but recently made it to Stormreach, trying to figure out what quests to do next, etc. etc.

But I've been reading these forums trying to get an understanding of how this all works (and there's a lot to learn!) and the one thing that I've been amazed to find out is that pretty much the only way to advance far in this game seems to be to do the same dungeon/quest over and over and over and over, in order to get the XP/loot you need. Is that right? I know that this may just be my personal preference, but that just sounds incredibly boring to me. I like the exploration/discovery/survival part of the game and just can't imagine having to go through the same fights/traps again and again. Once I've cleared an area I like the feeling of accomplishment that it's done and I don't want to return to it again. Even the idea of doing it again on a harder level/more monsters doesn't seem appealing.

So is this just an aspect of how MMO play works? Are there ways to advance without repeatedly doing the same quests over and over? Am I better off giving up on DDO once I've done everything I can?

If the answer is 'yes,' well, I'll still enjoy it in the meantime :)

Largo_Kyber
09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
If you want to continue to play for "Free" then yes in order to gain the Turbine Points
to purchase adventure packs you will have to gind out the same content. This is by design.

However, if you pay a sub or purchase adventure packs from the store then you can level to 20 without ever repeating a quest.

Generally speaking there are many quests that you will want to repeat many times- particularly near the end game. You repeat them for crafting ingredents, raid loot,
20th completion rewards, and favor (Favor is used to earn Turbine points and to unlock other free stuff like drow/favored soul classes)

So, the choice is yours- pony up a few bucks every now and then for adventure packs, pay a monthly sub and get all the content, or grind out turbine points for free by completing the same quests over and over on different characters. Of course, there are like 80 free quests that you have access to without paying a dime, but they only go to lvl 12. Beyond that you'll need to unlock new content by using Turbine points and the best way to get Turbine Points as a FTP is to create a new charater and get them to 100 favor quickly.

tihocan
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
In addition to what Largo said:
1. Expect soloing to become difficult past the low/mid levels. And if you're grouping, chances are you won't be exploring as much, because other people in the group will likely have done the quest before. It remains possible to have some "fresh" grouping experience, but you need to work for it (specific LFMs, static groups, permadeath, ...).
2. If you want to get some favor rewards, expect to have to repeat some quests on higher difficulty levels.
3. If you want to acquire good gear, expect to have to repeat quests (a lot). That's basically what endgame is about: repeat the same quests over and over to obtain some specific items (which can be fun actually :))

Arianrhod
09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
If you're only second level, you should be able to find a decent variety of new quests to play. They do get sparse (especially the free stuff) a little later, but there are lots of free level 2 quests. Open your Adventure Compendium (book icon or P key), and look at the list to see what you haven't done yet & where it's located. If you just got to Stormreach, start exploring :)

DANTEIL
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies! This gives me a good idea of what to expect in the future and what kind of decisions I'll have to make :) I'm still not sold on the thought of 'grinding' out dungeons repeatedly, but at least I know that I can still do a fair amount regardless (and even more if I shell out $$).

Milolyen
09-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Your best bet for grouping (and this will increase how much you enjoy the game) is to create your own groups (don't be shy or hesitant because you don't know the quest) just make sure you put in the comment section that you are new to game and would like to explore the quest and not zerg. (zerg = run through quest at break neck speeds). This will take a little longer to fill out the group (most of time don't need a full group anyways) but it will make sure you get players that will add to the experience and not someone that will ruin it.

Milolyen

gorloch
09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
If you find this game something you enjoy you might consider checking out either a role playing guild or a permadeath guild. You might find one of these adds what you are looking for in a game.

PIXA

Bronko
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
There is actually an advantage to running new quests in the form of an experience point bonus you receive the first time you complete a quest on each difficulty setting. In fact, you start to receive experience penalties for each repetition of a quest after the first one.

There will be a need for you to "grind" several repetitions of certain high-level quests/raids in order to get the gear, crafting ingredients, or named set-items your build might desire but that's a fairly long way down the road for you.

For now I encourage you to explore as many different quests as you can. For a F2P player in your level range there should be plenty of new stuff for you to run. :)

KinghtsOfCamelToe
09-26-2009, 06:59 AM
If you want to continue to play for "Free" then yes in order to gain the Turbine Points
to purchase adventure packs you will have to gind out the same content. This is by design.

However, if you pay a sub or purchase adventure packs from the store then you can level to 20 without ever repeating a quest.

Generally speaking there are many quests that you will want to repeat many times- particularly near the end game. You repeat them for crafting ingredents, raid loot,
20th completion rewards, and favor (Favor is used to earn Turbine points and to unlock other free stuff like drow/favored soul classes)

So, the choice is yours- pony up a few bucks every now and then for adventure packs, pay a monthly sub and get all the content, or grind out turbine points for free by completing the same quests over and over on different characters. Of course, there are like 80 free quests that you have access to without paying a dime, but they only go to lvl 12. Beyond that you'll need to unlock new content by using Turbine points and the best way to get Turbine Points as a FTP is to create a new charater and get them to 100 favor quickly.

grinding over and over is something i love about MMO's after reading this i'll get a pay account AFTER i lvl to 20 <_<

as to feed my grinding addiction

lostkoss
09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
The way I like to look at it is,

1) You can do a quest on all difficulties once to gain an XP bonus for each difficulty level.You still gain XP
if you run the dungeon at the same difficulty more than once, but you only get the bonus once.

2) You can do a quest on Elite once to gain the maximum Favor for that quest.(And a one time XP bonus for elite as well. 50%)

Depending on your current needs, class , abilities and skill in playing, you can either run the quests on all difficulties once for MAX XP or on Elite once for MAX Favor.

I do not suggest blindly running quests you don't know on Elite.An experienced party may drag you along though.

Loot runs are a different thing entirely.
Loot runs are something you want to do,to obtain a specific item or items, not a requirement for advancing your character until max level.

Raiding is basically loots runs on a grand scale and after you hit max level loot is the only way to alter your character.

Impaqt
09-26-2009, 10:55 AM
The big problem your facing is that the ultimate "Goal" of a MMO is not to "Win" or even "Finish".

There isnt any way to win or even finish the game.

Since its immpossible to have infinite content that is unique, this means you are going to repeat stuff.

Repeat it on the same character doing things the same way.

Repeat stuff on different characters looking at the quest froma different angle

Repeat stuff on the same guy, but take a different approach or change your tactics.

Mr_Ed7
09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
So not only am I a complete newbie to DDO, but I'm new to MMOs in general. I played PnP AD&D back in the day, and was very excited when I learned about the free-to-play DDO and immediately signed up. I've been enjoying it so far -- am only 2nd level, but recently made it to Stormreach, trying to figure out what quests to do next, etc. etc.

But I've been reading these forums trying to get an understanding of how this all works (and there's a lot to learn!) and the one thing that I've been amazed to find out is that pretty much the only way to advance far in this game seems to be to do the same dungeon/quest over and over and over and over, in order to get the XP/loot you need. Is that right? I know that this may just be my personal preference, but that just sounds incredibly boring to me. I like the exploration/discovery/survival part of the game and just can't imagine having to go through the same fights/traps again and again. Once I've cleared an area I like the feeling of accomplishment that it's done and I don't want to return to it again. Even the idea of doing it again on a harder level/more monsters doesn't seem appealing.

So is this just an aspect of how MMO play works? Are there ways to advance without repeatedly doing the same quests over and over? Am I better off giving up on DDO once I've done everything I can?

If the answer is 'yes,' well, I'll still enjoy it in the meantime :)

There are open, wilderness areas where one can slay & explore.
As far as the quests go, I have been playing for three years and have not completed all.

Additionally, each time you are in a quest your play experience can vary based on your character choice. A cleric's experience in a quest will differ from that of a barbarian.

Also, the party make-up and dungeon difficulty can make a difference in game play.

I liken the quests to a ride at Disney, some you just really, really enjoy, and like playing them over and over again.

I also have a bad memory so the quests are always new to me!

Enjoy the game, it can keep you busy for years!

Angelus_dead
09-26-2009, 11:04 AM
But I've been reading these forums trying to get an understanding of how this all works (and there's a lot to learn!) and the one thing that I've been amazed to find out is that pretty much the only way to advance far in this game seems to be to do the same dungeon/quest over and over and over and over, in order to get the XP/loot you need. Is that right?
Not really. You can get pretty far doing each quest only once, and much further repeating 3x or 4x for the other difficulty modes.

But there are three factors:
1. A lot of new players don't know what other quests are available to them, so they stick with ones they've found.
2. A lot of experienced players would prefer more XP/loot per minute over quest variety, so they choose to repeat a quick quest several times instead of moving onto others. This can be particularly common if they've already advanced many characters through these levels.
3. Many of the alternate quest choices are locked away in Adventure Packs, and many players would prefer to save their Turbine Points for something higher level, due to the better loot, more time they'll spend replaying there, more challenge, and the lacking free options at top levels.

DANTEIL
09-26-2009, 11:12 AM
The big problem your facing is that the ultimate "Goal" of a MMO is not to "Win" or even "Finish".

There isnt any way to win or even finish the game.

Since its immpossible to have infinite content that is unique, this means you are going to repeat stuff.

Thanks... I don't think I fully appreciated this aspect until you pointed it out. I guess that *is* the real difference here. In PnP D&D, you had a DM that was always churning out new content to sustain his/her world. I guess that's not really possible in a subscription-based 'permanent' MMO environment. Makes sense.

So what do people do who've reached level 20 and have maxed out gear and stuff? Start all over?

Impaqt
09-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks... I don't think I fully appreciated this aspect until you pointed it out. I guess that *is* the real difference here. In PnP D&D, you had a DM that was always churning out new content to sustain his/her world. I guess that's not really possible in a subscription-based 'permanent' MMO environment. Makes sense.

So what do people do who've reached level 20 and have maxed out gear and stuff? Start all over?

It varies, but generally the ultimate goal is to accumulate wealth and repeat quests to obtain the items that will make your character better.

gorloch
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Depends on the person. most people have several different characters that still aren't completely geared to their liking, so yea we run the high end raids/quests for gear/wealth on several different toons. I still think you would benefit more from a role playing guild or a permadeath guild. Would give you more to aim for.

PIXA