PDA

View Full Version : Cheater alert on Cannith

Rogosh
09-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Just wanted to put an alert out regarding a cheater on Cannith:

Running Whisperdoom's Spawn with a bunch of new players and mentioned the artifacts. None of them knew of the artifacts so I explained there are 3 and there is a SMALL chance of a nice item at the end of the quest when they are turned in. I explained that typically a party would roll to see who got to pick them up.

First artifact scooped by the cheater with no roll and no apologies. We moved on and said this person just wouldn't get a roll on the others because he already had his.

Second artifact found and rolled on (although the cheater ran for it until everyone in party caps yelled at him to come back).

Third artifact found and scooped by the cheater.

Cheater dropped group before quest was anywhere near completion.

Never fear Cheater, I know your name and I know your guild name. I will be letting everyone on Cannith know when I see you that you are a cheat.

This is not the play style, I would imagine, that everyone wants to be grouped with. There's a certain etiquette and sense of fair play here that I've enjoyed for a very long time (for the most part) and would like to see it fostered on Cannith.

Uska
09-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Now I wouldnt call that being a cheater I would the being a scumbag and a jerk, and I wouldnt mind his name in a pm.

Cedwin
09-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't consider that cheating, I would consider that being an A**hole.

Angelus_dead
09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
First artifact scooped by the cheater with no roll and no apologies. We moved on and said this person just wouldn't get a roll on the others because he already had his.
It is inaccurate for you to call him a "cheater". Just because you said he couldn't have them doesn't make it true. You have no authority to tell people whether or not they can get floor loot.

Zenako
09-25-2009, 08:50 AM
It is inaccurate for you to call him a "cheater". Just because you said he couldn't have them doesn't make it true. You have no authority to tell people whether or not they can get floor loot.

So A_D in your groups then it is fine for first click first grab in that quest? For "normal" stuff from breakables, ok, so what, most players pretty much ignore it. But those drops are different, very different, and in fact could almost be considered quest rewards. Almost like saying you would be fine with whoever opens the end chest first being able to grab ALL the loot, not just their share of it.

This position seems strangely at odds with almost all of your body of posts and I am somewhat perplexed at that attitude.

Is it cheating per se, I guess not, is it playing fair with the others in your group, not at all.

cappuccino
09-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Yea I agree with not labeling this person a "cheater"

That being said, I would love to have his name & guild in PM to put on my "friends" list

Cleitanious
09-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I play on Cannith and would like to avoid these types of players, however you cannot really be sure the story is true.

cappuccino
09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I play on Cannith and would like to avoid these types of players, however you cannot really be sure the story is true.

I can agree with you, regarding not sure if it's true, but at least if you know and are aware, you can watch out for it yourself to see if it's true

Rogosh
09-25-2009, 09:03 AM
In retrospect, cheater is not a fully accurate term. Call it what you will.

No, you cannot be certain these events actually transpired. Hearsay is the least dependable evidence.

I would not deem special drop items to be floor loot. But that is just my opinion.

When we began the quest and I informed the party of the artifacts, everyone was taught how to roll for something and the group leader stated that that was how the items would be disbursed. If you don't agree with the way a group leader makes a call, that is your right. Get out of that group.

GreenGurgler
09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
When we began the quest and I informed the party of the artifacts, everyone was taught how to roll for something and the group leader stated that that was how the items would be disbursed. If you don't agree with the way a group leader makes a call, that is your right. Get out of that group.

A clearly established way of doing things by the party LEADER should have been enough for this a$$hat to understand what was going on. If he did not agree to the terms, he could have left right after this was explained in the beginning.

Doing anything less is not cheating but is being a major A$$HAT.

Sounds like some elitist vet trying to steamroll/ignore/take advantage of the 'newbs'.

And 90% of the time, floor loot is **** and fair game, anyone who is experienced knows this IS NOT THE CASE with the floor loot in this quest. To claim otherwise is dishonest.

C00LBR33Z3
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
If everyone agreed to the roll plan at the start then that's just poor play, pm me the name and guild as well please

Gum
09-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Shoot me a detailed pm plz OP. Thx...Gum

Barumar
09-25-2009, 02:00 PM
You have no authority to tell people whether or not they can get floor loot.

I have to STRONGLY disagree with you here. As stated below, the group leader specified that all group members would be allowed to roll on the three items that are 'floor loot' in here.

Once the quest starts, anyone who grabs one of those three items is NOT playing by the rules, and deserved what ever label you want to place on them.

This quest and BAM (Black Anvil Mines = 15 Ore) have similar griefing potential and getting it out on the table what is/is NOT acceptable behavior in these quests is important not only on the new server but for all the new players in DDO!

Barumar

Kistilan
09-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Can I get a copy? I'm running a leadership guild on Cannith and it's probably good to know untrendy incorporations and how to avoid them.

Uska
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Well I guess we know not to do the quest with you or would go along with the unwritten rule most groups follow for that quest.

AvanTheThird
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Would like to have a PM of name and guild.

valorik
09-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I know the first time I ran this I picked up one of the items as soon as I saw you, no one had explained about it, and right after everyone in the group rage-dropped, but if you were clear, I can see no reason why he should have been a greedy scumbag.

ToyVIP
09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
that was just downright rude and obnoxious... pm with name and guild please

EvilsBane
09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
*Steps up on soap box*
As stated by the OP the rules of the group were clearly stated before the group began/advanced though the quest. That being the case I'd think the title cheater would be rather appropriate by definition.

~Verb
to cheat

1. To violate rules in order to gain advantage from a situation.

None the less I personally can think of many other much harsher names for such type of folks, but I digress...
*Steps off soap box*

That being said I too would like to know the name/guild name of this shady person, if you would be so kind :)

Grushvak
09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I can think of a lot of creatively offensive names I could call this guy, but cheater isn't one of them. Cheater is what you would call someone who uses speedhacks or character trainers. After all, he broke no hardcoded game rules per se: he just stole some loot. The end result is the same, however: nobody should ever group with him.

Despite the possible consequences (which may include me getting lynched for using WoW terminology), I propose that we call that kind of idiots loot ninjas.

noneou
09-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Khyber drama on your Cannith? It's more likely than you think!

Uska
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
I can think of a lot of creatively offensive names I could call this guy, but cheater isn't one of them. Cheater is what you would call someone who uses speedhacks or character trainers. After all, he broke no hardcoded game rules per se: he just stole some loot. The end result is the same, however: nobody should ever group with him.

Despite the possible consequences (which may include me getting lynched for using WoW terminology), I propose that we call that kind of idiots loot ninjas.

We used the term loot ninja in swg before wow came out and I am sure it wasnt the first game to use the term.

sunkenfaith
09-26-2009, 12:17 AM
/signed. LMK who he is please.

Gleipner
09-26-2009, 04:55 AM
I´d like to have name and guild please.

Kistilan
09-26-2009, 10:08 AM

*L* That's why I'm here (one of the reasons -- mostly to help new players and have fun).

PS: If I was hard to understand, I'd like a PM with name/guild in detail to avoid said "cheater/ace."

Nestorious
09-26-2009, 10:32 AM
/signed

No comments even needed as everyone understands what took place.

I would appr the name and guild as well if you could.

keegusmcdille
09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd also like a PM with the name/guild of this person. Planning on getting my own guild going with a bunch of brand new players I've brought in, and last thing I need is reasons for them to get discouraged along the way.

ArekDorun
09-26-2009, 07:00 PM
What this idiot did is just wrong, tho I would call that stealing, not cheating, and I, too, would like his/her name+guild, please.

--Arek

Crystalizer
09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
well this is definitely not nice from that player, but i also would say that i very rarely saw pug groups in there rolling for all these items, and i even guess that quite often these items finish destroyed but not used as they should

Maetrim
09-28-2009, 05:01 AM
I would appreciate the name, but the guild name isn't required as I wouldn't want to label other guild members with the activities of one of their members which they are not responsible for.

BattleCircle
09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I would appreciate the name, but the guild name isn't required as I wouldn't want to label other guild members with the activities of one of their members which they are not responsible for.

QFT

OP, PM please

Bunker
09-28-2009, 09:24 AM
One thing I think everyone has over looked on Cannith is that you can go back in and get the loot all over again. It isn't like it is a 1 time chance kids. Sure, there might have been some sneaky motives in the group, and of course all of us reading this post must take the OPs words and trust that is the whole story. But seriously, is it the end of the world. I'm sure there is still plenty of treasure to be looted on Cannith along with all the other servers. You all couldn't of tapped the coffers dry that quick, could you?

dopey69
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
why did you let him roll after stealing the first one? i don't get that i would have told him not to bother rolling on ne others after he got his ...but yet the leader let him roll two more times ....bah i wish i was in that group as i am tactless so they say!

darksol23
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM

Khyberians bringing drama to Cannith? Heaven's no!

I'd also appreciate a PM to add said user to my "friends" list.

Thanks

Yajerman01
09-28-2009, 11:43 AM
to the OP:

I would like his name and guild. I'll reserev judgment for if and when I run with him or his/her guildies, but being aware of said potential will at least let me blame myself if he pulls that on me, but makes me the more wiser and only will confirm his infamy. lol

thank you in advance.

cappuccino
09-29-2009, 09:27 AM
One thing I think everyone has over looked on Cannith is that you can go back in and get the loot all over again. It isn't like it is a 1 time chance kids. Sure, there might have been some sneaky motives in the group, and of course all of us reading this post must take the OPs words and trust that is the whole story. But seriously, is it the end of the world. I'm sure there is still plenty of treasure to be looted on Cannith along with all the other servers. You all couldn't of tapped the coffers dry that quick, could you?

Bunk Brother:

It's not really about the taking of the pieces by stelth and deny. It's more about taking one not following instructions. Not only once, but all 3 times. Although it is possable for a communication breakdown (language barrier) but somehow I doubt it.

Those asking for the name & guild (myself included previously) just would like the warning.

I don't know about you bro, but I'm not sure I'd want someone like that on my first shroud/vod/puppy run which with the # of high level toons will be probably an all out PUG for most.

my 2cp's

Maxelcat
09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Wait wait wait...

We're forgetting the most important part of this...

Whisperdoom drops artifacts?

(j/k)

Rogosh
10-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Working my way thru pm's. Sorry for the delay. I'm never on the boards and didn't realize the interest.

Shonas
10-01-2009, 08:33 AM
I would like the name of this fiend!

I'm shall find him, and my blades come singing!!!

Strahd-BR
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
PM the name please.

Kistilan
10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I would like the name of this fiend!

I'm shall find him, and my blades come singing!!!

If only you could turn pvp on/off inside quests by majority vote of the party. 50% say damage on & then let the group show the decision to open a can of whoop-ace.

PS: Yes, some abusive possibilities still, but for the most part it would allow a democratic "Ok guys, this person deserves to die. All in favor?" type vote. Much less-abusive than the omnipotent "I'm the leader, goodbye!" bootings from the first few months of DDO.

cappuccino
10-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Just ran into another who did the same as what happened to the OP.

name available via PM

Kemoc
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Yes I would say Loot Ninja applies in this case. Also I would say the only recourse would be through this person's guild. Contact the guild leader and inform them of this person's behavior and the besmirching of the guild name. After they are kicked out of a few guilds and nobody groups with them perhaps they will get the idea.

TehSilence
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Did you consider booting them at that point? Just curious, since most of the arguments here use the fact that "the rules were set before the party set forth" as reason for the "cheater's" condemnation.

From the OP's initial narrative, I cannot tell if the person in question even understood what anyone was saying. The only evidence of their compliance is when they were running for something (chest?) and everyone called to them to come back using caps, which even if they couldn't read might tell them something was wrong just because caps gets attention.

I dunno. If someone breaks the agreed-upon rules at the first chance, the ideal response seems to be to call a halt and make that person communicate why they did that and whether they will play nice. You may find out that they can't or won't communicate, and at that point it's a good time to boot. Or if they can communicate you'll hear what their reasoning is and have the chance to make sure the rest of the quest will go as planned. I do realize, however, that managing a party full of diverse players is almost never gives you the ideal situation. :o

The player in question could have been a cheater. They also could have been just a jerk, or a plat/loot farmer, or a player that didn't speak or understand whatever language was being spoken or typed in the party. Can't necessarily condemn the guild for that, although I would want to find an officer and have a quick powwow.

cappuccino
10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Did you consider booting them at that point? Just curious, since most of the arguments here use the fact that "the rules were set before the party set forth" as reason for the "cheater's" condemnation.

From the OP's initial narrative, I cannot tell if the person in question even understood what anyone was saying. The only evidence of their compliance is when they were running for something (chest?) and everyone called to them to come back using caps, which even if they couldn't read might tell them something was wrong just because caps gets attention.

I dunno. If someone breaks the agreed-upon rules at the first chance, the ideal response seems to be to call a halt and make that person communicate why they did that and whether they will play nice. You may find out that they can't or won't communicate, and at that point it's a good time to boot. Or if they can communicate you'll hear what their reasoning is and have the chance to make sure the rest of the quest will go as planned. I do realize, however, that managing a party full of diverse players is almost never gives you the ideal situation. :o

The player in question could have been a cheater. They also could have been just a jerk, or a plat/loot farmer, or a player that didn't speak or understand whatever language was being spoken or typed in the party. Can't necessarily condemn the guild for that, although I would want to find an officer and have a quick powwow.

Yea, I do agree with this post, but unfortunately they did change the game a long while back where you can not boot someone from a party inside a dungeon. So the only way to "boot" is if they recall, or all recall and reform without them :mad:

With this particular quest, the items are usually found either after a lengthy time spent in the dungeon, or after completion. :(

TehSilence
10-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Yea, I do agree with this post, but unfortunately they did change the game a long while back where you can not boot someone from a party inside a dungeon. So the only way to "boot" is if they recall, or all recall and reform without them :mad:

With this particular quest, the items are usually found either after a lengthy time spent in the dungeon, or after completion. :(

Ah, good post. I cannot remember the last time I've had to boot (or had anyone booted) from any party I've been in. Didn't realize it had ever been changed.

Thanks for the update (+1). That definitely changes the way these things can be handled.

KualaBangoDango
10-17-2009, 05:08 PM
So, being new myself, I'm guessing these artifacts are BoP then?

Gleipner
10-18-2009, 12:26 AM
So, being new myself, I'm guessing these artifacts are BoP then?

Yes they bind on pickup.