PDA

View Full Version : SLI performance mode vs SLI AA

Aryndar
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I Recently returned to DDO and am trying to sort which SLI performance mode functions best or if just running a single card w/ SLI AA would be a better use of resources.

Curious if anyone running dual Nvidia cards has found an effective setup for SLI re. Split frame rendering vs. Alternate frame rendering 1 or 2.

my comp:
3ghz quad core
2 x 1g NV9800m gtx
4g DDR2
vista 64
DX 10 client
running DOX 185.68 drivers

The game looks great, but I'm not getting the kind of frame rate I was expecting. Been running at 1680 x 1050 w/ only 4x AA/AF. It's totally playable at 30 - 60 fps depending on location (town vs dungeon), I'm just accustomed to running the AA/AF higher and still getting much better FPS. Does it seem I'm getting the best out of the engine or is there something I could do to squeeze a bit more speed out of it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mirthgar
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
I would tend to recommend Alternate Frame Rendering because the game doesn't have native support for SLI/Crossfire so it's not telling SLI what card should render what items on screen at any given time which leads to stability issues, and performance degrade (ie it makes more "work" for the cards).

Simply put AFR has card 1 render the odd frames and 2 renders the even numbered frames, and tends to act as a form of "safe mode" for SLI when a game doesn't support it. Not sure if you'll see much a frame jump but remember too to also set the Maximum Frame slider in game (Options > Troubleshoot) to a capped FPS that's tollerable for you and low enough to ensure the cards are rendering smoothly.

Aryndar
09-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Cheers Mirthgar for the quick reply. I'll give it a try.

:)

mikeavelar
10-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Do we know if there will be support for SLI in the future?

Lundivar
10-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Wasn't DDO an Nvidia sponsored game when it was launched?