PDA

View Full Version : New Classes coming soon?

radrico
09-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Im new to the game. Im not sure if the Monk/FSoul/Drow were just added or if theyve been here for awhile.

I was wondering how often new classes are added - or if any new ones were to be.

Im very interested in making a Vampire character (not sure if this class exists/could it?)

vainangel
09-24-2009, 06:14 AM
no vampires as PC in D&D
there is a F2P horror game that might suit you out there.

Vivanto
09-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Monk/FSoul/Drow

They were all added after the original launch, so yeah it is expanding.. Tough not all of them brand new.

Drow were added in mod2 so is quite an integral race by now, monk since last summer, favored soul is brand new with the current re-launch of f2p.

From what I know, next upcomming race will be half orcs and half elves, hopefully the druid class after them.

MDS_Geist
09-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Except that the next module is Dreaming Dark, so we might be given Kalashtar first...

z0mbyjr
10-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Vampires? Course they can be a PC... depends on your DM...
Oh, DDO? Nope... no Vamps.

All the characters have to be either Neutral, or Good in DDO... As well as alive/Natural. (Exception Warforged)

Vampires are undead (1st Reason why not.) and inherently evil (2nd reason why not.)

RhapsodieInBlue
10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Mindless undead are inherently evil...

However, if a character becomes undead of his own will his alignment remains intact, since undeath is really a state of unliving, not an alignment modifier for intelligent beings.

The pursuit of undeath is the closest thing most PCs can come to "immortality."

Paneth
10-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Vampires are undead (1st Reason why not.) and inherently evil (2nd reason why not.)

If i recall there were cases of Elven Wizards becoming good goodly Litches (Think that was in Darksun, I dont recall) so there can be 'goodly' Vampires but it would be rare as heck to see, after all vampires can be fairly picky about who they make a vampire. As a race in DDO, probably never. It would be just as bad as a Lawful Good Drow (which, anytime I see a Drow pally I just die a little inside) which we have tons of.

An seriously, whats WITH the being only good/neutral? We have necros..you dont think they get at least an OPTION of being evil?

Feynt
10-26-2009, 01:09 AM
If i recall there were cases of Elven Wizards becoming good goodly Litches (Think that was in Darksun, I dont recall) so there can be 'goodly' Vampires but it would be rare as heck to see, after all vampires can be fairly picky about who they make a vampire. As a race in DDO, probably never.
Elven wizards becoming liches is a Forgotten Realms thing, yes. Most often the elves seeking to do so are evil, the rest are at the least chaotic neutral. I've only ever encountered two good liches, and they were a DM plot device. >)

It would be just as bad as a Lawful Good Drow (which, anytime I see a Drow pally I just die a little inside) which we have tons of.

Evil drow are a Faerun thing. Eberron is a new start for the race. No Lolth praising, leather jump suit wearing dom. chicks and their boyfriends (thank Mod. The next time I play the PnP version with a couple of drow in the Forgotten Realms setting...).

An seriously, whats WITH the being only good/neutral? We have necros..you dont think they get at least an OPTION of being evil?
I agree to the lack of evil being stymieing, but necromancers are inherently evil. It's just the control of death. Though admittedly it's hard to advocate the "good" applications of Slay Living.

FluffyCalico
10-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Im new to the game. Im not sure if the Monk/FSoul/Drow were just added or if theyve been here for awhile.

I was wondering how often new classes are added - or if any new ones were to be.

Im very interested in making a Vampire character (not sure if this class exists/could it?)

They have already said new classes and races being added depends on how well the current optional ones sell.

Myriam
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Don't forget Drow, started in Greyhawk, not Faerun.
Years before RA Salvatore created Drizzit, and even before Greenwood dreamt up Cheeseminster, the Drow were an NPC race of the Greyhawk world.

vegabond1969
10-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Years before RA Salvatore created Drizzit, and even before Greenwood dreamt up Cheeseminster, the Drow were an NPC race of the Greyhawk world.

Shhh, no one wants to hear that. They want to believe that Drittz is the best and original drow. You'll crush the dreams of millions of fanboys with that talk :p

Feynt
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Ah yes, the older than dirt setting. >)

I doubt many people even know about settings other than Forgotten Realms and Eberron now adays unless they grew up with D&D. Admittedly though, my first introduction to the drow was Menzoberranzan, the old computer game.

Shhh, no one wants to hear that. They want to believe that Drittz is the best and original drow. You'll crush the dreams of millions of fangirls with that talk :p
There, I fix. >3

They are relatively few, but I haven't known a D&D chick who doesn't love that emo elf.

Myriam
10-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I know several D&D chicks who don't like Salvatore's writing style and definately don't like Drizzt.

I do cringe whenever I hear someone refer to Dalamar as a Drow though. :D

Happosaai
11-06-2009, 06:18 AM
IIRC, wasn't Dalamar named a 'Dark Elf' when he left his people and turned to the black robes as well? Wasn't he originally Silvanesti?

Anneliese
11-06-2009, 06:40 AM
If i recall there were cases of Elven Wizards becoming good goodly Litches

DDO has something similar, the Undying Court.

The Undying Court is a neutral good pantheon of ancient deathless elves animated by positive energy. The elves of Aerenal seek their counsel and petition their favor. The court's favored weapon is the scimitar.

flynnjsw
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Also look at the Drow in Pathfinder. They are worse than the "non-Drizzt" Faerun Drow; worship Demon Lords as opposed to Llolth, and are at this point evil NPC only, sort of like how they started in Greyhawk.

As far as undead; I forgot who the writer was, but there was a Forgotten realms writer who did a book on an Elven Vampire named Jandar Sunstar (which is where I stole my toons name from) who was actually somehow did not change alignments after being turned.

Kistilan
11-06-2009, 06:53 AM
IIRC, wasn't Dalamar named a 'Dark Elf' when he left his people and turned to the black robes as well? Wasn't he originally Silvanesti?

Yes. Dalamar was Silvanesti, Elves of the Stars. Qualinesti, an off-shoot of the Kinslayer Wars, were Elves of the Sun. Both societies were capable of casting off their brethern as "Dark Elves" if they showed inherently unelven morals and decisions, although Qualinesti were slightly more tolerant.

Happosaai
11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Dave, that was Christie Golden, writing book 1 in the Ravenloft novels: "Vampire of the Mist"

z0mbyjr
11-07-2009, 12:44 AM

Really? According to R.A. Salvatore, I quote,
"To my dear fans,
I am awesome. I am the best writer in the world. All shall bow before me. I received a medal for creating the drow. That is how awesome I am. I made Drizzit after myself. Drizzit is the biggest bad*** I've ever known, therefore, I am bad***. If anyone disagrees with me, I challenge them to a boxing match, proving that I am the best writer in the world, and had created the drow. I rest my case."

See? Even R.A. Salvatore admits he created the drow in his speech...
A very weird speech nonetheless.

ShadowcatX
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
IIRC Arch-liches (good aligned elven liches) are animated through negative energy rather than positive energy. Positive energy is what makes normal people live.

technoshaman
01-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Non-evil undead are Deathless which was first mention Book of Exalted Deeds, before Eberron. There are vamps prC in Libris Mortis: book of the Undead (full title) and I think in Book of Horror both 3.5 books.

OldAquarian
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
My first recollection of Drow:
D1-3, Q1 circa 1978