PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Scaling the Depths of Discord

UnderwearModel
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Here I am on my 10th level, 28 point build Bard doing depths on SOLO ELITE. Sure I do not have all the gear that I have on other servers, but this is a 7th level quest(ELITE). I have done this many times already.

No problem I say to myself. Depths of Despair and Depths of Darkness were fairly routine.

In Mod 8 I could do these quests when I was 7th level, but I had passed down my what I consider good gear.

Let me introduce you to Dungeon Scaling. I think I had TEN EARTH ELEMENTALS, large and medium. And me with my Mace of the Elements to defend with.

To get to the end I had five earth elementals to go through. Finally made it to the shrine.

Then, Landslide at the end with four cronies.

I died. My charms failed. My crotch was earth grabbed.

Wow. I have now been introduced to Dungeon Scaling. Me going in three levels over quest level, and the quest introduces me to its Scarface and says, "Say hello to my little friends."

And for reward, I got my usual less than vendor trash loot.

If the monsters scale, how about the loot sort of scaling also. Seriously, I was offered a +3 diplomacy helm as my end reward. Along with a +2 shield, a +1 shield, and a +1 docent.

Tarrant
09-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear you had a tough time in the dungeon, but it wasn't because of dungeon scaling. :)

Scaling technology only ever scales a dungeon down to make it easier. We don't make it harder just because you're over-level.

Better luck next time!

Impaqt
09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Not to mention Elite doesnt scale at all anyway.

Zenako
09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Ouch, but that is really not that much different than it used to be. There were usually 3 elementals in the outside hallway and when fighting Landslide he had 2 or 3 helpers with him.

The REAL difference you are seeing is the impact of twinking. It is hard to fully appreciate the difference until you play in a situation where it is not possible, like on Cannith now. I and a few friends have been spending some time there as well and it can be a nice challenge/change of pace. Having to decide on weather to tackle the quest on Normal or Hard for example (when at level or about). Two of us took on STK the other night, and as it turned out breezed thru on normal, and most likely would have done so on hard, but lacking the twinkage, erred on the side of caution. (He on Favored Soul, I on my Cleric. (only time used a Summons was in the final end boss fight to give the mobs something else to focus on for a few moments.) I Tanked the End Boss (with nice End Rewards from Sharn had a useful AC) while the FS cleared out the Elementals and then we took him down.

FInally a number of the quests and areas in the game have had the number of mobs adjusted in them. Most of those changes fly below the release notes radar.

redoubt
09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear you had a tough time in the dungeon, but it wasn't because of dungeon scaling. :)

Scaling technology only ever scales a dungeon down to make it easier. We don't make it harder just because you're over-level.

Better luck next time!

Does this mean that you believe the issues where dungeons were scaling above the standard settings has been corrected?

TFPAQ
09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Scaling was an issue on Normal and Hard. Solo and Elite don't scale. We got our butts handed to us in "Tor" on hard and waltzed through it on elite after the second wipe.

To date it appears to be fixed. Although I pretty much solo and duo most things now ...

Tarrant
09-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Does this mean that you believe the issues where dungeons were scaling above the standard settings has been corrected?

Yes, that was fixed in patch 1.

Lithic
09-23-2009, 05:24 PM

Better luck next time!

Something seems odd in the OP though. Landslide always had only 2 friends with him in the final chamber, and the corridor before never had more than 5 (2 large, 3 wandering mediums i think). Either the OP has no idea what hes talking about (quite likely), or the quest has changed since the last time I ran it before mod 9. I guess he could have backpeddled enough to trigger the elemental respawns in the corridor outside the boss room...

Qzipoun
09-23-2009, 05:27 PM
This was the first quest I ran when mod 9 hit with an untwinked solo toon. I found it to be much easier on Elite than it was on normal pre-mod 9. I gained one or two levels between but the quest seemed definitely dumbed down.

OP, you seem to just have had bad luck, a failed save on earth grab and turn things really bad really quickly when you are solo

UnderwearModel
09-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Now I have a much better understanding of scaling!

parvo
09-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Not to mention Elite doesnt scale at all anyway.

I think elite does scale. Turb told us it woudn't but they slipped it in. The damage scaling bug defenitely affected it. I do quite a bit of elite quests in small and large groups two of us don't generally have much harder time than six.

To the OP, if your level ten bard can't land suggestion or similar on the medium and large elementals, something is defenitely wrong. We do that regularly in our groups and are not over the level of quest. Command is a staple in there too.

UnderwearModel
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Something seems odd in the OP though. Landslide always had only 2 friends with him in the final chamber, and the corridor before never had more than 5 (2 large, 3 wandering mediums i think). Either the OP has no idea what hes talking about (quite likely), or the quest has changed since the last time I ran it before mod 9. I guess he could have backpeddled enough to trigger the elemental respawns in the corridor outside the boss room...

Lithic, I see that you are from Argonesson. Thanks for your comments.

This is my memory of the battle. Which can be quite faulty.

I brought Landslide out of the room by himself. No other earth elementals came out. Which I found quite satisfying.

I think "Cool, with the mob I already encountered maybe the other ones are gone."

I run in and three more are in there. I back out quick and run around, no elementals BEHIND me. I did not run to the shrine as I already used it, but I was close enough in case I perished once again.

After that threesome, I run back in and there is one final one over on the far right hand side standing in the corner. A single earth was not too difficult.

UnderwearModel
09-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I think elite does scale. Turb told us it woudn't but they slipped it in. The damage scaling bug defenitely affected it. I do quite a bit of elite quests in small and large groups two of us don't generally have much harder time than six.

To the OP, if your level ten bard can't land suggestion or similar on the medium and large elementals, something is defenitely wrong. We do that regularly in our groups and are not over the level of quest. Command is a staple in there too.

I would say a vast majority of the posters on these forums have much better game skills than I do. Some of you really get into the technicality of building a character which is quite amazing.

I am just an average player enjoying the game. My death I attributed to everything going wrong at the same time. I failed to suggest and then I was earth grabbed. Then it was game over.

It was a lesson learned.

Angelus_dead
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Let me introduce you to Dungeon Scaling. I think I had TEN EARTH ELEMENTALS, large and medium. And me with my Mace of the Elements to defend with.
You're a bard... those elementals should be working for you!

An earth elemental cannot pass a will save. Hypnotize, Dance, Suggestion, Fascinate... any of that would get them to stop bothering you, or to even assault their boss on your behalf.

QuantumFX
09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
OP: Think of the RP aspects of this misadventure for your bard:

I took my mace, I took it down
Crawled a dungeon and I turned around
I saw my soulstone on the grime covered floor
Cause Landslide brought me down

BLAKROC
09-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I would say a vast majority of the posters on these forums have much better game skills than I do. Some of you really get into the technicality of building a character which is quite amazing.

I am just an average player enjoying the game. My death I attributed to everything going wrong at the same time. I failed to suggest and then I was earth grabbed. Then it was game over.

It was a lesson learned.

sounds like ya had fun don't forget that fascinate is your friend when soloing on your bard. and the Freedom of Movment spell is a really handy one to pik up no more crotch grabs :D

RioRussell
09-24-2009, 12:29 AM
OP: Think of the RP aspects of this misadventure for your bard:

I took my mace, I took it down
Crawled a dungeon and I turned around
I saw my soulstone on the grime covered floor
Cause Landslide brought me down

awesome. +1 rep for you!

Shade
09-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Not to mention ther are not nearly that many earth elementals in there. I wish there was that many, cuz I used to farm it for earth soul gems..

But I'd only get 4 per run.

Theres 4 medium, and 3 large per run. End fight doesn't have 4 + boss, its 2 + boss.

Less they suddenly increased how many for mod9 randomly.. In wish case, im glad to hear, I needed a place to farm soul gems faster!

But i mean.. You got earthgrabed.. Scaling never effects that even if you werent on elite, you could of died on normal,, earthgrab = auto crit and death in any solo encounter on a bard.

Next time pack some freedom of movement scrolls if you cant get the spell yet and be happy you learned from a mistake.