PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Ranger Build

mcdull
09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi, Im new and i havent really paid much attention to my build.

Im currently level 6, pure elf ranger. I've chosen tempest when i made my character, and i've just hit advance according to my path till now ( level 6).

I've noticed I don't have any feats that i could use, nor do I have any spells ( wisdom is only 1).

My enhancements so far are :
favored damage,elf dex, ranger dex, elf spot and search, ranger spot and search And two enhancement in upgrading my range damage.
I would like to keep using a bow as my main. I dont understand why i dont have point blank shot, nor many shot that I can use yet at my level.

i've 5 points left over unused, and I would like to know where to go from here.

Thanks.

spifflove
09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
You chose to be a tempest when it sounds like you really wanted to be an arcane archer.

I suggest keeping the tempest and using the twf up close and ranging far.

If you must go arcane archer you would need:

1)point blank shot
3)weapon focus ranged
6)mental toughness

Spells: you need 14 wisdom for all spells. +4 wis items super cheap, +6 wis items common at high level.

tihocan
09-23-2009, 01:46 PM
The Tempest ranger is a (mostly) melee ranger. You should be using two weapons, and take the tempest line of enhancements.
If you want a ranged character, stop advancing in the Tempest path, and try to fix it before it's too late ;) You probably want to respec out of dodge and mobility, too.

mcdull
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
is it alread too late to advance towards arance archer? SHould i just restart = =... or go melee entirely.how do u respec out of dodge and mobility?

also one last thing, if i do go mellee, should i still be wearing light armor or move to heavy? I still dont understand what the armor check is.

spifflove
09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
is it alread too late to advance towards arance archer? SHould i just restart = =... or go melee entirely.how do u respec out of dodge and mobility?

also one last thing, if i do go mellee, should i still be wearing light armor or move to heavy? I still dont understand what the armor check is.

I would roll a new toon play both of them as intended and then keep the one you like best.

Fortano
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Spells: you need 14 wisdom for all spells. +4 wis items super cheap, +6 wis items common at high level.

For some reason, I thought you had to have a base wisdom of 14, which to me meant my wisdom before any items were taken into account. But, I'm a dnd noob, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

tihocan
09-24-2009, 08:30 AM
For some reason, I thought you had to have a base wisdom of 14, which to me meant my wisdom before any items were taken into account. But, I'm a dnd noob, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Since you're asking for it: you are wrong :p

tihocan
09-24-2009, 08:35 AM

You can respec feats with Fred (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred).
You want an armor you are proficient in. I can't remember if rangers get armor proficiency in anything but light, but at least from L9 and later you should use light armor because otherwise it will disable your Evasion feat.
Info about armor check penalty: http://ddowiki.com/page/ACP

Rav'n
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
You can switch to Heavier Armor now... but you pick up Evasion at Ranger level 9. Evasion only works in Light Armor.

Like "Spiff" said...roll another Toon as an Archer to level 6 and see which you like better.

dopey69
09-24-2009, 08:40 AM
was wondering about feats myself i have a little suposed tempest ranger who had a brain fart and forgot to get spring attack at whatever lvl that was at and so at lvl 7 still no tempest one :) and for the life of me i can not figure out how to redo my picks at fred I just cant seem to get spring attack switched in ne where :) am I screwed or what? is my last resort waiting for turbine to get in total respecing of characters or is there some other way to get spring attack...and i have lots of dragon shards so could switch all my feats around if that is not possible
i will shelf her till repecs come if need be.

Fortano
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
was wondering about feats myself i have a little suposed tempest ranger who had a brain fart and forgot to get spring attack at whatever lvl that was at and so at lvl 7 still no tempest one :) and for the life of me i can not figure out how to redo my picks at fred I just cant seem to get spring attack switched in ne where :) am I screwed or what? is my last resort waiting for turbine to get in total respecing of characters or is there some other way to get spring attack...and i have lots of dragon shards so could switch all my feats around if that is not possible
i will shelf her till repecs come if need be.

I believe Fred allows you to respec enhancements, not feats.

Brennie
09-24-2009, 05:28 PM

No.

Trainers will allow you to respec ALL enhancements for a fee (Which is quite resonable at low levels).

Fred uses his Cthulu cosplay powers to respec feats.

GordonAbney
09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
No, you respec feats with Fred. Enhancement respec can be done at any trainer I've seen for a bit of gold.

It's a nod to the Psychic Reformation power in tabletop D&D.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm

Fortano
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
No.

Trainers will allow you to respec ALL enhancements for a fee (Which is quite resonable at low levels).

Oh nice! Now I won't be so nervous when leveling :D

MissErres
09-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi, Im new and i havent really paid much attention to my build.

Im currently level 6, pure elf ranger. I've chosen tempest when i made my character, and i've just hit advance according to my path till now ( level 6).

I've noticed I don't have any feats that i could use, nor do I have any spells ( wisdom is only 1).

My enhancements so far are :
favored damage,elf dex, ranger dex, elf spot and search, ranger spot and search And two enhancement in upgrading my range damage.
I would like to keep using a bow as my main. I dont understand why i dont have point blank shot, nor many shot that I can use yet at my level.

i've 5 points left over unused, and I would like to know where to go from here.

Thanks.

Is that even possible?? If your wisdom is only 1, serisoulsy?? Reroll!

GordonAbney
09-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh nice! Now I won't be so nervous when leveling :D

It's a good idea to be at least a LITTLE careful. If you took Two-Weapon Fighting at level 1 Ranger, for example, advancing to level 2 before respeccing will mean you lose a feat slot permanently (so pay attention to the feats you will get in your class progression!). Beyond that, the higher your level the more expensive enhancement respec gets and you need a non-gold resource that also scales in quantity needed to feat respec. Beyond that, you can only respec a feat once every three days and same goes for enhancements (though they have their own independent clocks).

Respeccing is doable, but it's not easy and it's not a fix-all.

Thorisaz
09-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I've noticed I don't have any feats that i could use, nor do I have any spells ( wisdom is only 10).

I would like to keep using a bow as my main.

Fixed your wisdom score. To get spells, just add a +1 wisdom item and then you'll be able to use first level spells. You won't have many spell points, but you can add items (+10 sp ring) and enhancements to use some of those enhancement points. Then you can maybe cast 1-3 spells per rest (buffs).

Like they've said, Tempest is a melee ranger so if you want to go bow, try the Arcane Archer build.

Arnya
09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
If you took Two-Weapon Fighting at level 1 Ranger, for example, advancing to level 2 before respeccing will mean you lose a feat slot permanently (so pay attention to the feats you will get in your class progression!).

Are you really sure about the information you are spreading?

I don't think this is correct at all... if it is, bug report it!

GordonAbney
09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Are you really sure about the information you are spreading?

I don't think this is correct at all... if it is, bug report it!

I'm absolutely certain of it. If you already have TWF when you advance to level 2 of Ranger, you don't get a second "copy" of the feat from the Ranger class. Respeccing out TWF for another feat still works, but you have effectively lost a feat slot compared to a different ranger that got TWF through class progression in addition to whatever they had at level 1.

Arnya
09-24-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm absolutely certain of it. If you already have TWF when you advance to level 2 of Ranger, you don't get a second "copy" of the feat from the Ranger class. Respeccing out TWF for another feat still works, but you have effectively lost a feat slot compared to a different ranger that got TWF through class progression in addition to whatever they had at level 1.

That's a bug. Report it.

I would also relog or see what happens at ranger level 3.

I have played rangers for over 3 years and never heard of this, but then again I know enough to check what feats a class gets, and look a little ahead of the next level :)

Maybe this is a fitting punishment for someone ignorant enough not to know a class's granted feats....

Zynthar
09-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Armor check is a penalty to certain physical skills due to the weight and encumbrance of the armor. It effects skills like Jump and Swim.

There are ways around the check, mithril armor lessens it due to being a lighter type of metal. Wearing a lighter armor type also lessens it. Just examine the armor, it shows what the check is.

Also, dex and AC. You get bonus to Armor Class for having a plus to dex. The type of armor you are wearing though dictates how much of that you get. If you think about it, it makes sense. Its a lot easier to dodge in a chain shirt, than it is to dodge in full plate! You also have to be proficient in the armor. I do not think rangers automatically get Heavy armor, but with a high dex, you don't want it anyway! You'll get more protection out of lighter types. Just go look on the broker or auction house and compare the armors to each other.

There's a few guides and posts about these.. just hit the search bar up and start readin'. Lots of great info out there!

GordonAbney
09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
That's a bug. Report it.

I would also relog or see what happens at ranger level 3.

I have played rangers for over 3 years and never heard of this, but then again I know enough to check what feats a class gets, and look a little ahead of the next level :)

Maybe this is a fitting punishment for someone ignorant enough not to know a class's granted feats....

Are you sure? I saw a couple other posts here from vet players that said it works as I've described. I mean, it's entirely likely I'm the one in the wrong since I've only been playing for a week or two. As for reporting the bug (if it is one), I already deleted the character I screwed up on since it was only level 2 and I'm perfectly happy with the ranger I have now.