PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I declined you bc of my.ddo.com

ariel7
09-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Let this thread be the place where you complain in. This thread exists not to ridicule the person that made the build, or unusual builds, but to show reasons that my.doo.com is the new de facto reason for not letting you in a group. Especially when you are sending a tell in reply to the LFM stating "What difficulty". I'm checking to see whether the build asking is worthy of bringing along, at a higher difficulty, bc of dungeon alerts, dungeon scaling and so on. What's the point in carrying a weaker build/player through a quest anymore? DISCLAIMER: I'm not outting the person via PM, so please don't send me mail asking. It's not about the person, it's about the build, and what is being held against other unusual builds when they try to join groups.

I guess I should be straight forward off the bat, I would have not accepted a Dwarf 13 wizard 4 fighter 1 monk anyway, unless I knew the person and knew their character to be surprisingly good. I know, you don't believe me when I tell you that there is such a build out there. I saw said build hosting LFMs over the weekend and I thought that the LFM was bugged. I mean...no one possibly rolls a Dwarf 13 wizard 4 fighter 1 monk...do they? I looked this build over, talked about it in guild chat, debated on if the person was trying to go the the achievement post of capping such a....unique character. To date it is the only build on my.doo.com that is bookmarked in my web browser.

If I see a blue bar on a fighter, or an "unusual" build and the person and guild are unknown to me, I will use this my.ddo.com reference tool to confirm or deny your spot in my runs. In this case, I went to my.doo.com to see just how this thing was built. (I LOVE unusual builds, bc if built right, can provide unique benefits and be a ton of fun to play. This might be fun, but as I said via pm, it can't possibly bring anything of use to the party. A hireling caster can pop the haste (and it will last longer), and possibly still do more dps. Hey, let em say it again, I love unusual builds. Anyone ever heard of Oddlived? He soloed frickin VoD. Before some guilds could short-man it.

What did a further inspection of this build reveal? Keep in mind this character has been ran to level 18. YES EIGHTEEN!

Lowest ability score = Wisdom at 10 (on a monk splash)
Highest ability score = Constitution at 21
Highest save = 19 (fort)
Lowest save = 15 (will)
Hit points = 290
Ac = 26
Spell Points = 778

OK, OK so maybe the bones are bad, or a bit unusual, but what gear is this bringing? seeker of bone-breaking handwraps, 2 con items, jorgandals collar (to do really low dps 10% faster), the ring of lies (boosting charisma to 13 and a few skills that are unlikely to be maxed), the reaver's napkin (helping the wizard get to 18 int) and a few other items. This, on a build with 10 BAB at level 18.

So, anyways the person asked what difficulty, I told the person, very politely that I was sorry, but they wouldn't be joining the party. When the person asked why, I alt-tabbed, went to my bookmarked site and pasted the URL of his build. When he (or she) asked what that link had to do with it, I admit it, I caved. I'm a big softie. I asked what they would be able to bring to the table, because when I look at that character, I see low saves, low hit points, low casting ability, low spell points, low ac, low melee ability. If you have a build like this you HAVE to be able to explain what you can bring to the table, and this person didn't. I'm sure he or she was annoyed about being told they can't come along, and being told their build wouldn't help the party.

A lot of people know me as being willing to take anyone but someone who was a jerk into my runs. That stopped with mod 9 and scaling. I still get reminded GRAB A BARD when doing a shroud, bc...well I used to be very much first 11 hitting my LFM if I'm the cleric, first 9 and 2 clerics if not. Like I said, that's over more or less.

Taking a build like the above makes the quest harder in THREE ways:
1. Dungeon scaling automatically means that difficulty is escalating with each person in the dungeon
2. Carrying a build is harder, with a bad character seemingly able to aggro mobs intended to be bypassed/get lost etc, potentially raising the dungeon alert one or more levels in a short period of time. Also, said player isn't able to contribute their "share" of the burden completing the quest.
3. If you see an LFM up with a build like that, that you do not know, are you more or less likely to join it? Seriously, if you're on a cleric and you see a couple of those and the words "Tower elite, need healers." Are you insta-logging to your cleric, or...maybe if someone in that group is on your friends list and you owe them a favor....isn't it about time to clear out your DVR list?

I still like to reserve a seat at the table for someone who's just trying to make things get better. But now, maybe a little less often, and before it happens I'm requiring more guildies, or more people that I know and from established "good" guilds before doing so. I used to love approaching the game with an approach of, its more uber to win with whoever comes first, than to beat the same dungeon with the same cast of max-geared and equipped guys. I really think dungeon scaling works inversely as well as it should. >>> Encourage people to take others in by slightly increasing loot rate % drops for the more people in, really, there is little reason to take a full party in now.

In summary, I would encourage anyone with an unusual build to let the LFM hoster know you can do something useful before just hitting the lfm. Or, don't pug unless you're prepared to deal with a shload of declines without a reason being given. Many "less-than-someone else's-ideal" builds can bring a lot to the table, and if your build (or mine) isn't being seen as bringing something worthy, it's up to the person trying to get into the group to either show that it can, or, start another group.

Kalundan
09-23-2009, 07:38 AM
*snip*

I'm guilty of the same, and I couldn't agree more that a full party means an overly difficult experience the more dead weight you have. Previously a person would let almost anyone into a group without a second thought. Now I'd rather short man it with reliable people I know and skip the wizard/monk/fighters.

RTN
09-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Wait, you've been one of the more vocal critics of my.ddo.com and here you are admitting you are using it to do things you warned against? :confused:

Ephemeral
09-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Wait, you've been one of the more vocal critics of my.ddo.com and here you are admitting you are using it to do things you warned against? :confused:

Perhaps its a subtle arguement against myddo?

Regardless, I think its great that you can look up toons on myddo, it will make people hopefully think a bit harder about their builds and make sure they're halfway decent so that they don't get rejected from groups after being scrutinized.

Additionally, its a useful tool to compare your build to others you have played with, and can help you to optimize better based on what other people have done.

Enochroot
09-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Oftentimes those that will (ab)use something know best why it shouldn't be there. To think someone shouldn't speak out against something that they themselves do is something I find ludicrous in today's society.

For example:

- politicians that get nailed for fighting for the environment, but then it's found out they drive a gas guzzler. Guess what? They've still done more good for the environment than any hippie not driving anything, and they would've been driving that gas guzzler regardless.

- former addicts speaking about addiction (ok, people view THIS one as positive, for some reason

- my.ddo.com (ab)users speaking out against potential abuses

Shal
09-23-2009, 09:17 AM
but you could/did make the deterination that the person was usless to the group before checking my.ddo. so then if that person had opted thier char out of ddo, it really wouldnt have effected you ... just saying.

RTN
09-23-2009, 09:19 AM

Possibly. I'm personally leaning towards hypocrisy.

dopey69
09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
if i apply for a group and it takes more than 20 seconds to decide wheather or not you want me, i will be in another group already or i will turn you down when you send a tell after a couple of minute saying sure you can join well....to late!

Shal
09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
edit

Healemup
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm guilty of the same, and I couldn't agree more that a full party means an overly difficult experience the more dead weight you have. Previously a person would let almost anyone into a group without a second thought. Now I'd rather short man it with reliable people I know and skip the wizard/monk/fighters.

Woohoo. I think I got into a group after said examination. Vorpal Kukri of Enfeebling FTW... :D;)

Mockduck
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
It's sad to see people make rash assumptions about characters and builds, but it's your group to do with what you will. Keep in mind that gear quality can not be checked with My.DDO.com, since it's whatever people had on (haggle items, cha items, etc) when they logged off.

ariel7
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Sadly, yes. I hate my.ddo.com. Basically, I like my build to remain as anonymous as possible until I actually attempt to share it with others. That said, I have decided to still list my characters in my sig here, and to take away the anonymous features as much as able on my.ddo.com. Everything's relatively open on my end, even if I still dislike the system. Do I look up builds when filling a group? Sometimes, I do, yes. It DOES help make sure something built well gets in. Oddlived has a "quirky" build but who would EVER call that gimp? a 38 primary casting stat, gear choices that make sense, even if didn't KNOW the guy soloed VoD you're still seeing he put some time and effort into that build and it can contribute to a party.

Regardless, I think its great that you can look up toons on myddo, it will make people hopefully think a bit harder about their builds and make sure they're halfway decent so that they don't get rejected from groups after being scrutinized.

Additionally, its a useful tool to compare your build to others you have played with, and can help you to optimize better based on what other people have done.

Hehe, winner-winner chicken dinner!

Oftentimes those that will (ab)use something know best why it shouldn't be there. To think someone shouldn't speak out against something that they themselves do is something I find ludicrous in today's society.

I don't feel I abused the system, and I had never used the system until Monday, when my let-anyone-in tendencies nearly sank me in a run. I don't like the system because I don't like to share it. Unfortunately, Turbine had not retained me as chief of DDO Operations, so I can't shut that part down or give myself the gear I want, respec my chars that need it, etc. It's there, for now, whether we like it or not. Ephemeral saw that I was being a little coy in showing another aspect of why I dislike it, and why I think it will adversely affect those who have non-traditional builds at end game. BUT, I do, and will use it if I'm intending on doing something on elite that is end-gamish. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I want my cleric to chug majors because I didn't at least get a vague idea that the halfling 7 paladin 4 ranger 9 favored soul with "offensive caster" in bio at least had something to offer a party. If you feel it is hypocritical, I disagree, but understand your pov. There are many things some of dislike at least certain aspects of, but participate in in some form or fashion. The election system of the USA is kinda odd, I think the electoral college idea should be revisited, but you can bet you bottom dollar I'm going to vote each year. I don't like eating "junk" food, but my wife does, and cooks it, and I end up eating a lot of stuff I encourage her actively not to cook. Should I go without? NOTE: Me cooking myself not an option, strictly forbidden by our insurance ;)

but you could/did make the deterination that the person was usless to the group before checking my.ddo. so then if that person had opted thier char out of ddo, it really wouldnt have effected you ... just saying.

I still would have sent a /tell asking what their playstyle/abilities were with that character. I really dislike just declining. And yes, I'm less inclined to take a chance on such an unusual build unless a friend or guildie has ran with and vouches for the person. I mean, isn't that kind of the effect of scaling as implemented?

Possibly. I'm personally leaning towards hypocrisy.

Please see re: Enchroot

if i apply for a group and it takes more than 20 seconds to decide wheather or not you want me, i will be in another group already or i will turn you down when you send a tell after a couple of minute saying sure you can join well....to late!

If it isn't for a "difficult" or tedious quest and or more difficult than usual difficulty setting, there is not point in wasting the time for my.ddo.com to load, type the name, pick the server, etc. If I'm hosting another ToD elite, you better believe I'm asking around wanting to have good players with good characters in it. If I'm running Trial By Fire...well it doesn't really matter who comes or not, does it? All that said, sometimes there is a 20 second wait because I'm refilling coffee. Not often, but a wait sometimes means the person is afk, picked up the phone, is trading equipment, has spousal/child aggro, someone was teleporting or fighting a few mobs. There are lots of reasons someone might take a few seconds to get back to you, none of them sinister.

It's sad to see people make rash assumptions about characters and builds, but it's your group to do with what you will. Keep in mind that gear quality can not be checked with My.DDO.com, since it's whatever people had on (haggle items, cha items, etc) when they logged off.

Hey, Mock. I really appreciate your concerns here and I've always enjoyed your ddocast when I've listened to it. In my first stint on ddo, I did every week, since I came back, I've been in class and studying for IT certifications so I haven't gotten back into the habit, but I will. That said, I don't believe there was any sort of rash assumption about that build in particular, though I will grant you that it is possible to make them. This was a mostly wizard with a primary casting stat (which had a +6 item equipped) = to his character's level. This was a fleshie dwarf with 26 AC wearing armored bracers of repairing. This item is unlikely to help with repairing (unless he frequently goes into all wf parties and sits with them at shrine...and his ac is so low its an odd choice there as well. There can be little reason to ever equip that item, at least that I am seeing now. I will grant you the ring of lies could be a pre-log off haggle switch but we can't explain other facets in such a manner, like dex and str items equipped and neither reaching 20 on a level 18 that obviously uses some melee (Jorgundal's collar).

I agree with you, some people will make unfortunate assumptions about a person's build and that's something else I'm not overly fond of about my.ddo.com, the scaling system and dungeon alerts. This thread is achieving it's intended purpose of people discussing the actual ramifications of the site, how builds are perceived through it, and also of dungeon scaling. I also hope that anyone with an unusual build will become more prepared (as they usually are in some part already prepared) to answer questions about their build and the choices they've made with it. As I try to keep saying, a build like Oddlived's contributes a TON to a party, and it's not your usual cookie-cutter build by any means. I know a guy with ranged clerics who is a great player and a ton of fun to play with. It sounds quirk,y but he most def contributes. Until scaling and this site are altered though, there are going to be a lot more questions about such a build (and sadly cases where the hoster doesn't even bother to ask).

Thank you everyone for reading and discussing.

altagar
09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I think I know the subject toon that you rejected and grouping once with them was enough for me to stay away...

I too hate myddo.com, because there are so many other things that they wasted development resources on it instead of things that the community asked for.

That being said, it is a useful resource to check on builds of toons that you greatly respect without having to ask in game. Whether that is a good idea to have available or not is a different question.

Orratti
09-24-2009, 12:31 AM
I'd imagine that I would be refused alot of groups based on this surface view of my build on myddo but on the other hand I have been refused groups based on even less information just by looking at the class mixture I run. However if asked what I am capable of and what I can bring to the table I have an answer for you everytime. It still may not be what you are looking for but it also isn't dead air. I can't blame people for looking at your build on myddo before bringing you into their group after all no one wants to be part of a failure. It's not something I would do but then again I don't lead raids and the groups I do lead I try to balance for exactly what I'm expecting to need and if your build looks strange and I ask you why you made it that way and you have no answer...well if I'm already pretty much set on what I need you might get in ya might not. If you do have an answer you probably will. I trust people to know what they are doing when they make their builds. I expect any strange build to have a purpose or reason behind it.

Bunker
09-24-2009, 12:49 AM
If I click on an LFM to join, and the leader of the party has to check my build on MYDDO.COM. Then simply decline me. And here is why:

1. It is my build, not yours. Basically saying you are not good enough to know how good I am or aren't be looking at my stats.

2. Screening ppl to that extent is lame. Why even have an LFM up in the first place. If you are that picky, keep it private and just send tells to get ppl to join.

3. If you have to use myddo.com as a tool to fill your groups, you failed before even stepping into the quest.

I'm starting to dig myddo.com. It really brings out the paranoid in players when everyone can see your stats. Seriously, aside from the newer players that are just getting thier feet wet in Stormreach, everyone else should realized that it is more about the player then about the build.

P.S. I'm not discounting the obvious examples like a barbarian that wields a greataxe and has a base strength of 10. So when reading this, use your logic and dont' bother with disecting every word. ;)

ariel7
09-24-2009, 02:29 AM
I'd imagine that I would be refused alot of groups based on this surface view of my build on myddo but on the other hand I have been refused groups based on even less information just by looking at the class mixture I run. However if asked what I am capable of and what I can bring to the table I have an answer for you everytime. It still may not be what you are looking for but it also isn't dead air. I can't blame people for looking at your build on myddo before bringing you into their group after all no one wants to be part of a failure. It's not something I would do but then again I don't lead raids and the groups I do lead I try to balance for exactly what I'm expecting to need and if your build looks strange and I ask you why you made it that way and you have no answer...well if I'm already pretty much set on what I need you might get in ya might not. If you do have an answer you probably will. I trust people to know what they are doing when they make their builds. I expect any strange build to have a purpose or reason behind it.

I love your builds and while I had a lot of questions for you about them, back when we were guildies, it was one build-creator to another, and I learned alot about how you approach builds and think you definitely bring a ton to the table. I believe I mentioned a ranged cleric, if I did not, I intended to bc I know many people would ask a lot of questions about it, but it's a very good build and played very well to boot. People refusing to group with you lose out, no doubt about it.

P.S. I'm not discounting the obvious examples like a barbarian that wields a greataxe and has a base strength of 10. So when reading this, use your logic and dont' bother with disecting every word. ;)

Is it funny or sad that I have a nearly irresistible urge to say Word to your Mothergoose? ROFL!

Sorry for parsing your words and I thank you for posting. I'm really happy people are thinking about and discussing this. I do however have a quote attributed to Stalin "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you" hehe. That, sadly has been used to gloss over all manner of crazed actions lol.

Orratti
09-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Bunker if anyone has ever refused you in a group its because you forgot to put Bunk in your character name.

Bunker
09-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Bunker if anyone has ever refused you in a group its because you forgot to put Bunk in your character name.

And that begs the question....Should I have to?

RTN
09-24-2009, 07:41 AM
- politicians that get nailed for fighting for the environment, but then it's found out they drive a gas guzzler. Guess what? They've still done more good for the environment than any hippie not driving anything, and they would've been driving that gas guzzler regardless.

- former addicts speaking about addiction (ok, people view THIS one as positive, for some reason

The addicts have stopped using, but they know the dangers and lures of drugs. This is more like a family values politician who rants and raves about the moral threats facing families, only to have it discovered he's been having affairs. It's hypocrisy, pure and simple.

The posts are full of it--trying to have it both ways. Agreeing with people saying characters shouldn't be judged on their builds, but explicitly writing multiple times that he's done it, does it and will continue to do it. If you're on the moral high horse, you really shouldn't engage in the behaviors you're railing against.

cplmac
09-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, this "disection" is sadly why I have been on the forums and not posted anything at all in over 2 years before I finally broke my silence.

/personal whine off, end whambulance program, terminating cheese & whine script.

RE topic
I say use Myddo if'n you want, don't matter to me - I'll find a group one way or another. Some people will use it as a tool to filter, some will use it to tweak. I'm just here for the raving paranoia - I'd like 2nds please! :)

Elation
09-24-2009, 09:18 AM
If you dont mind i love odd builds and unless its a raid or something very specific that i am requiring i dont care what you bring... If your on khyber please squelch me :).

Orratti
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Bunker of course you shouldn't have to put Bunk in all your character's names in order to get a group. Since I'm not a raid leader I'm not going to add anything more to this post after this but you have to understand at least a little why a raid leader would take this stance and use myddo to check your character before accepting you into a group if you are an unusual multiclass. If you have played a multiclass you probably have already been refused to a group when you hit join and they saw you were a 10/4/2 whatever before mod 9 even came out or myddo existed. If you haven't I sure have. I would say that inspecting every single character that asked to get into your raid was going way overboard but OP was talking about only unusual multiclass builds not nitpicking on which pure fighter he was going to take based on his stats and equipment over another. If you are an unusual multiclass and didn't experience this before myddo then I would say that you must know everyone and been in hundreds of raids on your server or are a sucessful raid leader yourself.

cforce
09-24-2009, 01:01 PM
It's unlikely I'll decline anyone by pre-screening them on myddo. However, after reading this thread, I did use myddo to triage a failed Shroud PUG I ran with last night. It was pretty interesting. I'm all for "good player with a bad build". It's important to remember, though, that there are quite a lot of "bad player with a bad build" folks running around!

Delt
09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Get a pair of madstone boots and rage pots. Hit both before you log out...insta-uber disguise.

Ya, my Bard-barian walks around with 48Str, 42Con and 700+ hitpoints all the time -- YOU ARE THE GIMP!

All the cool kids are doin it :cool:

Pwesiela
09-24-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't have any far out builds, but it is for this reason that I've made the majority of my characters anonymous.

When I log on there, I can go to my characters and see what they had when they last logged off, so I really can't tell if others can't. I hope not. If you can tell me what Damwer has equipped as a weapon, though, I'll have serious issues with Turbine.

I list my characters (well, most of them, stupid space rules...) in my sig because I'm fine with people associating any of them with me, the player behind any one of them. Heck, I even have a similar bio for all mine so that people know it's me. I don't do what Bunk and others do (similar names), but I'm fine with the rep I get on whatever character I'm on. I'm not happy with potential prejudice because of what I had on last.

gfunk
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
my.ddo.com is much better used to make fun of your friends builds, rather than to screen people.

Anyways, the site is way too slow to pre-screen people anyways.. I don't like taking forever to fill my parties. I think you'd have to be pretty obsessive to have to check that out before letting people into party. I never look at it when forming parties. Sometimes I check it out when I'm not leading, and just hanging out waiting for the party to fill. It can be rather entertaining, or enlightening.

The other day I hit a pug LFM with my ranger for the devil you know, and it took about a minute for them to get around to accepting me.. I was pretty suspicious that they were checking me out first. The sad thing was that they actually let me in party after checking... I almost dropped group.

ariel7
09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
If you dont mind i love odd builds and unless its a raid or something very specific that i am requiring i dont care what you bring... If your on khyber please squelch me :).

:) Not on Khyber, but like your outlook..

The posts are full of it--trying to have it both ways. Agreeing with people saying characters shouldn't be judged on their builds, but explicitly writing multiple times that he's done it, does it and will continue to do it. If you're on the moral high horse, you really shouldn't engage in the behaviors you're railing against.

I'm saying the builds shouldn't be unavoidably on my.ddo.com.

And there is no way that without a really strong party I'm letting a build like that in my party, that's just letting the rest of the party down forcing them to carry dead weight. IF I know the person behind the build, (because as previously stated: player > build 365 days/year) OR the person can make a convincing argument that they can help the party, then I can let them in. Are you telling me you would seek such a build out or that you'd welcome it with open arms? Wanna see you complete ToD with a party full of those, if indeed, that is what you are implying.

I suppose I'm not being clearly enough, so breaking it down as caveman as possible:
Me no like my.ddo.com, me feel it violate privacy
Me no like carrying the suckorz builds through a quest, and since me like my party, me want to assembly very good party
Me no like bad build like abomination I mentioned, me not let that one in unless he can show he do good
When me assemble raid for Tower on Elite, me gonna examine your build if you try to join, and I don't know you, or your guild, not because me want to be elitist, but because me no want caster who won't suck a pot to keep orthons at bay, or intim who can't make the intim check, or clerics who are not geared up for healing, or melee with not much damage output...because me no want waste my time or any of my friends time or anyone I might be running with from time to time time either.
Me no really check everyone build except for raids, on higher difficulty me make post like this to highlight an issue, me too subtle or coy for most people me thinks, me give over-credit for thinking ability because while new players annoy me with spam chat, me want a big thriving community, and me think if we talk about issue it help
Me tired of talking caveman now

Get a pair of madstone boots and rage pots. Hit both before you log out...insta-uber disguise.

Ya, my Bard-barian walks around with 48Str, 42Con and 700+ hitpoints all the time -- YOU ARE THE GIMP!

All the cool kids are doin it :cool:

ROFL! I love it. Actually, that might be good advice for people with odd builds, just switch the boots after casting so they don't show up.

I don't have any far out builds, but it is for this reason that I've made the majority of my characters anonymous.

When I log on there, I can go to my characters and see what they had when they last logged off, so I really can't tell if others can't. I hope not. If you can tell me what Damwer has equipped as a weapon, though, I'll have serious issues with Turbine.

I list my characters (well, most of them, stupid space rules...) in my sig because I'm fine with people associating any of them with me, the player behind any one of them. Heck, I even have a similar bio for all mine so that people know it's me. I don't do what Bunk and others do (similar names), but I'm fine with the rep I get on whatever character I'm on. I'm not happy with potential prejudice because of what I had on last.

You can't hide at all if they have your character name. +1 icy burst repeating light crossbow of puncturing. I like your guild graphic, pretty cool. I'm running SoS this weekend if you want to get DT armor to upgrade from +5 elven chain mail...actually I really am running it, and you are welcome to come along but I was just saying it so you'd know your build is really visible out there. And my intim still also has the VoM bc I keep losing rolls on HoGF! GRRR. Sadly, there is no opting out, at this point.

my.ddo.com is much better used to make fun of your friends builds, rather than to screen people....

ROFL that's what me and my friends do while waiting on raids to fill...dude, you even HAVE armor this bad? You need a ddo-stimulus plan? etc...just bantering back and forth, but in all seriousness, I don't think it's worthwhile to use it at all to evaluate builds for a run you are about to do aside from potentially doing a raid on elite or whatever. Usually the best thing to do (for me) is say in guild chat anyone ever run with Joeblow?....Does he?

RTN
09-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I'm saying the builds shouldn't be unavoidably on my.ddo.com.

And there is no way that without a really strong party I'm letting a build like that in my party, that's just letting the rest of the party down forcing them to carry dead weight. IF I know the person behind the build, (because as previously stated: player > build 365 days/year) OR the person can make a convincing argument that they can help the party, then I can let them in. Are you telling me you would seek such a build out or that you'd welcome it with open arms? Wanna see you complete ToD with a party full of those, if indeed, that is what you are implying.

No, I've repeatedly written that I have no problems with my.ddo.com and that I don't think it will typically be used to screen people for the average party, with the exception of exactly what you're talking about. When people try to join a PUG running high end content at non-normal difficulties, they should expect that they'll get screened in several different ways: are they known, is their guild known, their visible build (both in join info and maybe my.ddo.com). I think that's a reasonable expectation to have.

I suppose I'm not being clearly enough, so breaking it down as caveman as possible:
Me no like my.ddo.com, me feel it violate privacy
Me no like carrying the suckorz builds through a quest, and since me like my party, me want to assembly very good party
Me no like bad build like abomination I mentioned, me not let that one in unless he can show he do good
<cut for brevity>
Me tired of talking caveman now

Ah, condescension, nice touch. You wrote in your original thread on the matter that you found my.ddo.com a major violation of your privacy. You made this extremely clear, at least until you went back and edited the original post heavily and deleted most of it. I happen to disagree with you and don't think it matters at all, nor is it a violation of privacy since you can disassociate accounts from characters. However, if you believe it is a major violation of your privacy, as you have repeatedly written that you do, then what makes it ok for you to use my.ddo.com to screen other people? If you believe it violates your privacy, then what makes it ok for you to violate their privacy? Writing that you don't want to fail high end content or carry gimps doesn't change the fact that you see this is a major violation of their privacy. I'm saying that is hypocritical behavior and that you can't have it both ways.

ariel7
09-25-2009, 06:44 PM
No, I've repeatedly written that I have no problems with my.ddo.com and that I don't think it will typically be used to screen people for the average party, with the exception of exactly what you're talking about. When people try to join a PUG running high end content at non-normal difficulties, they should expect that they'll get screened in several different ways: are they known, is their guild known, their visible build (both in join info and maybe my.ddo.com). I think that's a reasonable expectation to have.

Ah, condescension, nice touch. You wrote in your original thread on the matter that you found my.ddo.com a major violation of your privacy. You made this extremely clear, at least until you went back and edited the original post heavily and deleted most of it. I happen to disagree with you and don't think it matters at all, nor is it a violation of privacy since you can disassociate accounts from characters. However, if you believe it is a major violation of your privacy, as you have repeatedly written that you do, then what makes it ok for you to use my.ddo.com to screen other people? If you believe it violates your privacy, then what makes it ok for you to violate their privacy? Writing that you don't want to fail high end content or carry gimps doesn't change the fact that you see this is a major violation of their privacy. I'm saying that is hypocritical behavior and that you can't have it both ways.

Sorry for the irritability. I felt that the message wasn't getting across.

Re: the other thread that has been heavily edited, I edited much of it when the dev mistakenly said how to opt out, then bogarted without giving credit to Mem's advice and at that time I thought the answers given worked. Later, I just didn't feel like laying it all out again. I still think it sucks, but since I can't escape it, at this point, I put my characters back in my sig. Kinda stuck with it. BAD DECISION IMHO, Turbine, especially for casual players.

I do feel it is a violation of the person's privacy, that is quite accurate, as is that I don't like its current implementation. I think the difference is, and what makes it not the same to me (when I look at someone's build) as I don't go to my.ddo.com looking for a reason to exclude someone, I'm looking there (and never actually have while filling a group, I had already looked at the build in the OP, so I wasn't on there screening for an elite Sorjek) I am looking for the reason to say yes when others would say no. An ex-guildie of mine has been labeled a gimp, by name, in these very forums for his unorthodox sorc/pally/monk. He's a good player and while his build isn't cookie-cutter, he does contribute, even if it could be argued it isn't the most optimal build in existence. If I did not know him, but saw the class breakdown, I'd have to ask those I know about him or ask him about him, to find out if he fits in the party I'm trying to run. Don't get me wrong I take in blue-barred fighters into normal shroud without a thought, as long as we have a bard and 2 competent clerics, I figure the dps will be there by a combo of if I'm on a dps guy or the other DPSers that I can vouch for. I'm not bringing an unknown one in as without-thinkingly as I do on an elite run though, and it seems we agree on that, no issue. If I'd looked up that build I discussed in the OP for this thread and seen something like a mid 20's str, low dex, decent con, mid-high 30's int then I'm thinking it's kinda like an Oddlived build in a slightly new direction, and while it looks odder than FluffyCalico saying something positive about someone, I'm still considering running with it to see how it performs, rather than saying to myself, *** can this do better than a hireling?

I also think that if you listed your characters in your signature, you would have a different (even if not dramatically so) point of view on my.ddo.com. Why do I list my characters in my forum sig, when I have a definite dislike for the other site? For trading, for grouping on specific runs, like if I decide to try to set up a short-man run on X, or whatever, and also, because if I say something on here that make you want to group with me less/more, I want to make it easy. I certainly wish some others on here (not you I am meaning this for) were required to. One person in particular I wish to never have to be in a group with, and its fortunate for him that he is scared to list his characters, bc I do not think many would be willing to group with a person who gets away with the stuff he pulls on here.