PDA

View Full Version : Returning Casual Player Seeks Class Advice

Osco
09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, after quitting because there were hardly anyone low level on my old server that wasn't a twink rushing through the quests, and not finding the rogue that useful, I've downloaded the game again. I'll be playing the free account "grandfathered in" with 4 character slots, but now am wondering if I've missed the boat on the new server as well?

I won't have that much time to play, while looking for a job (layoffs are *such* fun!) so figure I should find something that can solo a bit. I was tending towards a caster this time, but am skeptical about solo ability. I'd like to play something other than a straight fighter. Any suggestions? Is it worth starting over on a new server? My rogue was just starting Marketplace when I quit.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

-D&D Player from 1976. Still have the Blue Book and original dice!

Hafeal
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
For soling, I would go with a Combat Cleric or Paladin. You can take a splash of rogue or monk of you like. You can that taste of "caster" with a Cleric. If you like caster though, play caster, perhaps a warforged wiz if you are willing to pay to open warforged. FvS is another good choice depending on how many TPs you are willing to invest into start-up.

GL in game and in your job search. :)

ShotByBothSides
09-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I like to solo with a bard:

High haggle skill for feeding the bank balance
UMD for all sorts of useful things, like Lesser Restore Wands etc. etc
Inspire Courage song for attacks and damage boosts (other great songs later too)
Self healing with either spells or wands
Nice buff spells for improving ac (get haste later too)
Otto’s for dancing many an aggressive mob
CC spells for making mobs less dangerous or better control of large numbers of mobs
Fascinate for controlling large numbers, including the undead and constructs if you take the enhancements
Acceptable fighting skills

Start with a bard and then later on if you have other toons, you still have a great Swiss Army Penknife of a toon that most sensible players will welcome to any group, and also one that can sell all your loot too at top plat

But a bard will not be able to cope solo with most high level game content, unlike some of the badass sorcerers do!

Osco
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM
For soling, I would go with a Combat Cleric or Paladin. You can take a splash of rogue or monk of you like. You can that taste of "caster" with a Cleric. If you like caster though, play caster, perhaps a warforged wiz if you are willing to pay to open warforged. FvS is another good choice depending on how many TPs you are willing to invest into start-up.

GL in game and in your job search. :)

What is FvS? I had a warforged sorc when I was paying, but was it had just gotten to Sewerworks.

cappuccino
09-22-2009, 10:25 AM
FvS is the new class Flavored Soul which is available at the store or by gaining 2500 total Favour. It is basically a divine version of a Sorc.

Another class that I find does well solo (besides mentioned above) is rangers. With the ability to use cure wands at lvl 1 + the BAB progression of "the tank classes" + ranged combat (i.e. bow strength) better than other melee's which I find helps in soloing.

Like yourself I am currently looking for a new career (although I do consutling work as a self employed person at this time) I feel your pain, so good luck with your search!

UnderwearModel
09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Lots and lots and lots.

People are also unleashing their 32 point builds now.

You will easily find a low level group to run with. Most of them are from WoW and have a lot of questions.

Wizard or Sorceror is going to be tough to solo due to your squishiness at low level.

Rogues are highly valuable because of all the traps on the low level quests, and not so at high level. Although, a DPS rogue is quite a powerful force to deal with.

I would agree with the other poster, go for a cleric so you can have some spells. You can solo the cleric in most quests on Korthos and Harbor.

The bad thing about the cleric is the NEW players are all zergers. The only slow players I have found are the veterans. The NEW players just charge in and expect the cleric to somehow heal them through the wall or from the shrine.

The new players do not realize that clerics are slow and cannot jump.

But, as a cleric just about any group will be happy to have you join them.