PDA

View Full Version : Guest Pass duration

Krell
09-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Suggestion:
How about making the duration for a guest pass to be one play session. Basically if a guest pass is purchased for someone, they have the rest of their play session to enjoy it. This would allow them to enjoy it without the recipient or purchaser having to worry about how quickly or successfully quests are ran. I think this could be accomplished by making the duration of guest passes 6 hours instead of 90 minutes.

The down side is if you believe some quest areas would not be finished in 90 minutes during a play session and people would pay more money for an additional 90 minutes which would reduce revenue.

The up side is if people knew a guest pass would cover all their play time for a given play session (in most cases) they would be more inclined to buy them and revenue would increase.

Some opinion:
Personally, unless I was sure that a quest series could be accomplished within 90 minutes while allowing time for the new person to smell the roses without feeling rushed, I don't think I would buy a guest pass. I think they are a great idea but need to be tweaked some to become more popular. I understand the results of guest passes can be very different depending on what is purchased. Catacombs for example can be completed in 90 minutes and with Gianthold, 90 minutes is enough to scratch the surface. I think the gues passes have more value for lower level quests such as Tangleroot and Deleras to help new FtP people better see the value of the game then I would expect them to purchase packs at higher levels such as Gianthold and the Vale which will generate more sales.

Thanks,

Krell

tralese
09-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Suggestion:
How about making the duration for a guest pass to be one play session. Basically if a guest pass is purchased for someone, they have the rest of their play session to enjoy it. This would allow them to enjoy it without the recipient or purchaser having to worry about how quickly or successfully quests are ran. I think this could be accomplished by making the duration of guest passes 6 hours instead of 90 minutes.

The down side is if you believe some quest areas would not be finished in 90 minutes during a play session and people would pay more money for an additional 90 minutes which would reduce revenue.

The up side is if people knew a guest pass would cover all their play time for a given play session (in most cases) they would be more inclined to buy them and revenue would increase.

Some opinion:
Personally, unless I was sure that a quest series could be accomplished within 90 minutes while allowing time for the new person to smell the roses without feeling rushed, I don't think I would buy a guest pass. I think they are a great idea but need to be tweaked some to become more popular. I understand the results of guest passes can be very different depending on what is purchased. Catacombs for example can be completed in 90 minutes and with Gianthold, 90 minutes is enough to scratch the surface. I think the gues passes have more value for lower level quests such as Tangleroot and Deleras to help new FtP people better see the value of the game then I would expect them to purchase packs at higher levels such as Gianthold and the Vale which will generate more sales.

Thanks,

Krell

I would agree with the OP that 90 minutes is a little limiting. I would at least extend it to three hours to cover most of the quest chains. There is no way to run the Sharn syndicate quests in 90 minutes when you are running it for the first time. Too much running back and forth to NPCs in between quests.

Furluge
09-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Something interesting to note: Hirelings cost about the same or less than guest passes do and last longer. :D

Lithic
09-22-2009, 11:17 PM
90 minutes is plenty for a guest pass. The sharn syndicate itself should only take about 60-75mins even if you are doing it for the first time. That assumes a group that is planning on doing the whole series and doesnt sit around for 20mins between quests waiting for droppers to be replaced and for people to level up.

Anyway the point of a pass is not to let someone complete everything included in that pass, it's to give them a taste to see if they desire to buy the area. Arguing that you can't complete chain X in 90 mins doesnt mean anything considering you can't do every quest once in the gianthold or desert in anywhere close to 90mins, or flag and do the shroud in meridia.

Mercules
09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I would agree with the OP that 90 minutes is a little limiting. I would at least extend it to three hours to cover most of the quest chains. There is no way to run the Sharn syndicate quests in 90 minutes when you are running it for the first time. Too much running back and forth to NPCs in between quests.

We did it twice in that time with a F2P friend, once Normal and once Hard. Non-twinked characters on Cannith(28 point builds).

I agree that 90 minutes is limiting and annoying. We thought about running some other quests but we didn't want to purchase anything he should probably pick up the pack himself or that it might take more than 90 minutes to complete.

We Vet ViPs can run all of Tangleroot in 90 minutes but we would have to push our Froob(love that term) rather hard and there wouldn't be any time for sight-seeing. I seriously doubt he would enjoy the experience. We are currently debating on the best adventure packs for him to buy.

cipher_nemo4
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree, a time-limit is horrid unless it's long, such as 4 to 6 hours. It should include one play session, not 1.5 hours.

Mercules
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree, a time-limit is horrid unless it's long, such as 4 to 6 hours. It should include one play session, not 1.5 hours.

I don't like the "play session" option.

"Whoops, I got disconnected from my internet." "Hey my sound card is acting up and and I need to reboot." "Hold on I need to transfer something from another character now that I hit level 6 and can use it."

tralese
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
90 minutes is plenty for a guest pass. The sharn syndicate itself should only take about 60-75mins even if you are doing it for the first time. That assumes a group that is planning on doing the whole series and doesnt sit around for 20mins between quests waiting for droppers to be replaced and for people to level up.

Anyway the point of a pass is not to let someone complete everything included in that pass, it's to give them a taste to see if they desire to buy the area. Arguing that you can't complete chain X in 90 mins doesnt mean anything considering you can't do every quest once in the gianthold or desert in anywhere close to 90mins, or flag and do the shroud in meridia.

While I agree that it is possible to run through the Sharn Syndicate quest chain in less than 90 minutes, it assumes you know where everything is and that you don't take the time to read everything carefully. The first time I ran through it I wanted the full flavor and thus ended up spending a couple of hours on that quest chain (which included a run to the tavern in order to sell some stuff). I will admit I am a bit of a slow player though.

As for the reason for the guest pass... while I agree that the guest pass can give a flavor of the content to a free to play and the hope is that they would eventually unlock it for themselves, there is also the fact that as a VIP you are paying for a friend to join you in your adventures, and it would be nice for the VIP person to know that the friend will be able to join you for a little more than 90 minutes.

In all honesty I would be inclined to say that a guest pass should cost the same amount regardless of the content you are going through, and have a fixed time limit to it (not sure how long though).

Kismet_Darkfyre
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Opposed to making it last a play session why not have it be a 1 time acess to the quests till they are finished? This might be exploited by farming the quest for loot over and over, but what quest can you not do that in really? This way it does'nt matter how good the group is or how long it takes, just that you finish the quest.

tralese
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Opposed to making it last a play session why not have it be a 1 time acess to the quests till they are finished? This might be exploited by farming the quest for loot over and over, but what quest can you not do that in really? This way it does'nt matter how good the group is or how long it takes, just that you finish the quest.

I would be totally for something similar, but make it for an adventure pack. Allow access to each quest in the chain once. This way you wouldn't be worried if somehow you had to leave after finishing the first two quests in the chain and have to return two days later to finish it off. I realize that as mentioned by Kismet, there is the issue of people running the quest over without ever completing the final objective, but then have it so they don't get the exp for the main objective and the optionals until they've completed the whole thing, and don't allow them in the next quest in the chain until they completed the previous portion and this should mitigate some of this.

cipher_nemo4
09-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't like the "play session" option.

"Whoops, I got disconnected from my internet." "Hey my sound card is acting up and and I need to reboot." "Hold on I need to transfer something from another character now that I hit level 6 and can use it."

You misconstrued what I meant by "play session". I meant play session as in when someone sits down and plays DDO for a day (ie: 2-6 hours for us that work, etc.). There is nothing in the game that's named a "session". That would be more or less your login time from what you're referencing. That's not what I mentioned. I said 4-6 hours.

Letrii
09-24-2009, 06:28 AM
But that is what a session refers to. Until you log off you are in same session.

Lithic
09-24-2009, 06:46 AM
But that is what a session refers to. Until you log off you are in same session.

And for people who decide to stay logged on for weeks at a time? They would only be interrupted by network problems, or maintenance/patches.

vectner
09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think 90 minutes is far too short as well. I also would like to be able to have more than one quest pass at a time. It's better to buy friends than hirelings, hehe.

Angelus_dead
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
And for people who decide to stay logged on for weeks at a time? They would only be interrupted by network problems, or maintenance/patches.
Reading comprehension time.

The phrase "should include one play session" is not the same as "lasts until you log out".

To help understand that, consider this sentence: "The fuel I bought should last until you make it to New York". Is that person claiming that he has provided you with an infinite energy source that will never wear out until you cross a specific municipal boundary?

No. Instead he estimated the length of time an activity will probably take, and said that the amount provided should be enough to cover it. The same meaning was conveyed by the usage in this thread.

cipher_nemo4
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
No. Instead he estimated the length of time an activity will probably take, and said that the amount provided should be enough to cover it. The same meaning was conveyed by the usage in this thread.

LOL. Good one. I don't know why people are here arguing about something extrapolated from their own misconstrued comprehensions.

Acamas
10-02-2009, 07:38 AM
I will echo what I am hearing here. 90 minutes is too short a time for a group of friends to really enjoy a quest chain. I would much prefer it allows the players to just go through the content once. Maybe put a week timer on it so someone can't just sit on it forever.

For just a 90 minute pass the prices are WAY too high. I was debateing getting a couple guest passes for Three barrel cove for a couple friends yesterday. The first thought was 120 points each is ALOT of points. The secodn thought was I dont know that we will even be able to get my monies worth in 90 minutes.

Arianrhod
10-02-2009, 11:46 AM
/signed.

90 minutes is too short. A guest pass should last long enough to get new players through a whole chain, without nagging them constantly to hurry up, or finishing the quest without actually including them. There could be different time limits for different packs; some of the low level packs might reasonably be completed in under 2 hours, though I'd still prefer a minimum of 2 hours, even for Catacombs, Sharn Syndicate & Shan-to Kor. The rest should all definitely be at least 3 - heck, a group of new players could take 3 hours just to complete VON3, even with an experienced player or two along to prevent outright failure.