PDA

View Full Version : Ranger a good class?

castion99
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a wizard in DDO currently and I was thinking of doing a ranger as well but are they a decent class?

I tried one for a couple of levels and they just seemed not good as far as melee goes. Obviously if I am not in a group I will be meleeing a bit. I had made an elf ranger (I think the path is tempest).

Any ideas? I am new to DDO

tihocan
09-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Rangers are extremely good melees (I would say the best, but it may start a debate I don't want to get into ;)).

Avonwey
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Rangers are the best. No debate.

dasein18
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Sometimes they can be neutral. But lawful good is good.

Noctus
09-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Rangers are a very good class, if they are melee-focused builds!

Ranger != Archer.

and

Archer = DPS-Gimp 100secs out of 2min.

dasein18
09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
On a serious note.. love playing my ranger build. Give the rangers a try. If you get bored roll up something different like a caster or cleric to see the differences. Sometimes trying a different class makes you realize how much you like your original class choice.

castion99
09-21-2009, 01:28 PM
So I should focus on the melee abilities and feats?

So is using a bow not useful for a ranger then? Or just not very good.

Also what about rogues in comparison.

Angelus_dead
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
So is using a bow not useful for a ranger then? Or just not very good.
A ranger should always have bows and arrows with him, and they should be used whenever the time is right.

But the key thing to understand is that it's usually not the right time to use bows. You should basically use bows for 20 seconds every 2 minutes after about level 7 (when you gain Manyshot). Aside from Manyshot, bow combat is almost always inferior to melee.

castion99
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Also is an Elf a good class for a Ranger? I was thinking of going the long sword route along with duel wielding, which I understand we get for free but unsure at what level.

Also I was thinking of going with the following as stats for a tempest ranger:

Base Stats
Abilities (Level 1)
Strength 16
Dexterity 14
Constitution 14
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 12
Charisma 8

Are these good for that ranger type or I am way off?

Sorry for all the questions.

tihocan
09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Also is an Elf a good class for a Ranger? I was thinking of going the long sword route along with duel wielding, which I understand we get for free but unsure at what level.

Base Stats
Abilities (Level 1)
Strength 16
Dexterity 14
Constitution 14
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 12
Charisma 8

Are these good for that ranger type or I am way off?

Sorry for all the questions.
Looks pretty decent. I tend to enjoy playing squishies so I would myself drop Con (because you're paying a high price to go from 12 to 14), increse Dex to 15 and Str to 17. But it's a matter of personal preference.

castion99
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Alright thanks for the input!

Angelus_dead
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Also is an Elf a good class for a Ranger? I was thinking of going the long sword route along with duel wielding
A longsword is worse than a rapier in the large majority of situations.

Vormaerin
09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Also, if you are going elf you have the option to take the alternate path that gives scimitar instead of Longsword bonuses. That's clearly superior to longsword and perhaps a slight bit better than rapier (because slashing is slightly better than piercing overall).

castion99
09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I also found this build:

http://ddo.mmodb.com/guides/newbie-series-creating-an-elven-tempest-ranger-101.php

But I do not understand why the enhancement are all at level 16 arent there some enhancements I should/could take at the lower levels?

Vormaerin
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
That's just bad formatting. The build was designed when 16 was the level cap and Enhancements are the next section after level ups.

All that build is saying is buy those enhancements as they become available.

castion99
09-22-2009, 09:18 AM
So does anyone know what enhancement are good at the lower levels?

I did not see of of those in the list when I went to the trainer.

Angelus_dead
09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Favored damage, favored attack.
Racial damage/attack (elf rapier, dorf axe, halfy guile, wf PA)
Dex or con stats.
Favored protection.
Racial saving throws.
Sprint boost, acid resist.

That's a bunch to start with.

doppleganger
09-22-2009, 09:51 AM

I did not see of of those in the list when I went to the trainer.

anything that helps your to hit, damage, saves, hit points, spell points, stats

some typical enhancements:

level 1 enhancements

ranger sprint boost 1 (going fast is fun)
ranger favored damage 1
ranger favored defense 1
elf aerenal or valenar melee damage 1
elf enchantment resistance 1

level 2 enhancements

ranger dexterity 1

level 3 enhancements

elven dexterity 1
racial toughness 1

level 4 enhancements

ranger energy of the wild 1
elf aerenal or valenar melee attack 1

Rydin_Dirtay
09-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Remember, to qualify for the best two-weapon fighting feats, you'll need at least 17 DEX. You don't necessarily have to start with 17 dexterity, but if you didn't, it would mean you would need to either put level-up points (one gained at 4th level, one gained at 8th level, etc.) into DEX or find a +2 Tome at some point.

doppleganger
09-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Remember, to qualify for the best two-weapon fighting feats, you'll need at least 17 DEX. You don't necessarily have to start with 17 dexterity, but if you didn't, it would mean you would need to either put level-up points (one gained at 4th level, one gained at 8th level, etc.) into DEX or find a +2 Tome at some point.

if he stays ranger, he does not need a 17 dexterity, he gets 2 weapon fighting for free. A 13 dexterity is all that is needed, and thats to get the feat Dodge, a prereq of tempest.

Angelus_dead
09-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Remember, to qualify for the best two-weapon fighting feats, you'll need at least 17 DEX.
Completely wrong. Ranger level 11 is all you need for GTWF, and dex 13 is fully acceptable. All those dwarf axe tempests out there sure didn't bother pumping dex (unless they're also monks).

Rydin_Dirtay
09-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Completely wrong.

Excuse me then.

sunkenfaith
09-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes, I think the Ranger is a very good class.