PDA

View Full Version : Is this build worth anything? (Fighter/Sorcerer hybrid?)

Ristar
09-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Just wondering if this will work at all in the endgame.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Reydan Solari
Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(6 Fighter \ 14 Sorcerer)
Hit Points: 238
Spell Points: 1303
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 8
Will: 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 20
Dexterity 14 14
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 16 22

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 2 2
Bluff 3 8
Concentration 2 25
Diplomacy 3 8
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 3 6
Heal -1 -1
Hide 2 2
Intimidate 7 13
Jump 6 16
Listen -1 -1
Move Silently 2 2
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot -1 -1
Swim 2 5
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Level 2 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I

Level 3 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma I

Level 4 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements I

Level 5 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation II

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Slicing Blow
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I

Level 7 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Charisma I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded II

Level 8 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma II

Level 9 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Sorcerer Improved Maximizing I
Enhancement: Sorcerer Improved Maximizing II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements II

Level 10 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation III

Level 11 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements II
Enhancement: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded III

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Evocation

Level 13 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II

Level 14 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Strength I

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Kensei Falchion Mastery I
Enhancement: Fighter Kensei I

Level 16 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Subtle Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II

Level 17 (Sorcerer)

Level 18 (Sorcerer)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
Enhancement: Sorcerer Charisma III

Level 19 (Sorcerer)

Level 20 (Sorcerer)
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Elements III
Enhancement: Sorcerer Lineage of Deadly Elements III
Enhancement: Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation IV

Brennie
09-20-2009, 08:50 PM
What exactly are you going for here? A guy in fullplate with sword and board, who swaps it out to cast a few buffs here and there? A Sorceror who can wear some twilight mithril armor and use a weapon? Its a great idea, and has a lot of potential for pen-and-paper, but unfortunatly doesn't translate to the DDO universe to well.

I have to say that Fighter and Sorceror do not compliment each other in any respect. Your hitpoints, attack bonuses, and damage will be woefully inferior to that of a pure melee build. Likewise, with such low Charisma and missing 6 levels of Sorceror, you will have low spellpoints, your offensive spells will hardly ever "stick", and you'll be missing out on a lot of higher level spells.

DDO has a beautiful class system that lets people mix-and-match skills, feats, gear, base classes and enhancements to make unique and powerful combinations. Unfortunatly trying to mix Arcane casters with weapon-using combat types is just a recipie for disaster.

My advice: If you're looking to be a melee machine, look for some of the better melee guides floating around the guides, builds and classes sections. Melees can usually multiclass for awesome effectiveness. Furthermore, if you want to have a few spells at your disposal while still mixing it up in melee, look at Bard (who is as close as you can get to a hybrid), Ranger or Paladin.

If, on the other hand, you wish to simply be a caster extrodinare, take a flat 20 levels of Sorceror (or Wizard). Sure its not quite as fun or intruiging as multiclassing, but most caster types lose a lot from missing levels in their primary, while gaining very little from the other classes.

Ristar
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
To be honest, I'm just trying to build a raw damage caster that can also fight in melee when the need arises.
Not worrying about Power Attack or anything, just putting focus into the Evocation School, and going for a mixed damage build with decent survivability with selfbuffing. Probably wearing Mith Twilight armor, and using a 2h sword.

I figured I could make up for the 7 BaB lost with buffing and clickies, then again, I don't know what kind of AC I should be expecting by endgame.

If this build IS a complete wash, is there any way to salvage it? I have made this character up to level 7 already, Ftr2/Sorc5.

Brennie
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM
With a pure sorceror, the need should never arise for you to melee. And if you do ever find yourself out of spellpoints at a crucial moment, you'd actually be better of whipping out a +5 crossbow of *does something cool*, and hoping to get a couple procs off, then rushing into melee where you will likely get flattened in seconds.

Also, Mith Twilight Fullplate will not reduce your spell failure to zero, even with the elven enhancements (Which you don't have access to, being human). It is also incredibly, incredibly rare (so even if you ever did find a good set on the auction house, you'd better have a fortune equal to the gross output of a small nation to be able to afford it).

I really wish to be the bearer of better news, as I love Gishes (DnD term for fighter-mages... could be for other games as well?). I caused Havoc with my beloved Duskblade - Dragon Disciple character through many tabletop games... *sigh* Memories...

As for salvaging... you could use your character to get 400 favor, unlock drow, and then roll up a pure Sorceror (or wizard, they're good at both). I'm afraid thats the best I can offer, but perhaps some of the more creative forum dwellers can give it a go!

Ristar
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, actually, the idea was for a Twilight Mith Chain Shirt. That would be ASF 0%. I can see what you mean about lacking a focus, but I honestly have no idea what upper level ACs are, so I figured having, maybe say, +25ish in attack would work for me. DCwise for spells, I'm honestly not sure, but I do get an annoying amount of resists on reflex spells.

As for just going for 400 favor, yeah, that seems possible. As it is right now, this build doesn't work too bad for clearing dungeons.

abull74
09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Ummm.... go Warforged....2rog/2paly/16sorc...Better known as the Tukaw build

saves in the high 20s to low 30s unbuffed
evasion
wield a greataxe or great sword
self buffs AND self HEALS(reconstruct)
fight inside of your own Firewall/cloudkill/sleetstorm....whatever

I love this build. Mine is lvl 17 and is an amazing build. Kinda gear dependant though, at higher levels.

the Tukaw build is really fun, for anyone looking for something different!!!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=181901&highlight=Tukaw

I AM THE FPOON!!!