PDA

View Full Version : .oO LEARN TO USE LEVEL RANGE IN YER LFM'S Oo.

Aethene
09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Please learn to use the level range when you post an lfm (looking for more)

if your level is 'n', then make it 'n+3'
if you make it 'n+4' you will lose 50% XP
if you make it 'n+5" you will be power-leveled and get no XP

so a group of levels, say, 5-8.... or 1-4...... or 2-5.....

The level ranges are there for a reason.....

USE THEM

Melkor_The_Mighty
09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Saw 15 Lfm's all the players were lvl 1-5 but the lfm's were 1-20. If your smart enough to figure out how to post a LFM take the 2 seconds necessary to give proper range, will help out newer players who dont want to join a STK run if there's going to be lvl 7-20's in party

wemery73
09-20-2009, 12:46 AM
:):D/signed:D:)

Noctus
09-20-2009, 09:58 AM

USE THEM

/signed!

It´s annoying that the LFM tab is all cluttered up with unsuitable level ranges. Want to go on an adveture in Shavarath or Gianthold? Half the LFM who show up are for beginner stuff (level 1-5), because people dont bother to properly post their LFMs.

That´s similar behavior to throwing trash out of your car window onto the highway. Just a little confy for you, but cluttering up the landscape and making it unpleasant for all others who drive by.

MissErres
09-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Is it considered griefing if a lvl 18 joins a group of lvl 3's to do a quest? Even though their LFM said lvl 1-20?

Just a thought... :rolleyes:

Shandi
09-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Is it considered griefing if a lvl 18 joins a group of lvl 3's to do a quest? Even though their LFM said lvl 1-20?

it probably is but technically they were asking for those kinds of levels..

anyway yes please use the level range thing, it takes 2 extra seconds and sometimes people want to do a level range of 8-20 but also say "for favor"

"For favor" in this game means that you are doing the quest as fast as possible without any regards to treasure chests and XP.

"zerging" means the samething except you do the quest on level range :P

Twerpp
09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
/signed

lol.

Enochroot
09-20-2009, 11:06 AM

I don't know what griefing is, nor do I care, but I routinely join WW runs with clearly 2's and 3's with my capped toons when they don't have level req's up. If they ask why, I just say "you had 1-20, so I joined" - generally they get the point, and if they don't, I'll tell them to use level range.

Be proactive - don't just come on the forums and be passive-aggressive.

Uska
09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
agreed its starting to get a little annoying

srwood
09-20-2009, 11:23 AM

USE THEM

/Signed
So many 1-20 lfms.
I would also add: put what you want to do in the description as well, or tag a quest.

Asketes
09-20-2009, 11:42 AM
/Signed
So many 1-20 lfms.
I would also add: put what you want to do in the description as well, or tag a quest.

see it's not the 1-20 lfm's that bug me, there were always those. It's the half-fast crazies that get to me: 3-20 is one I see a lot. ROFL COPTER to the face apparently

abull74
09-20-2009, 12:27 PM
New Hobby...join 1-20 LFMs with my lvl 17....jump in quest and kill the xp.....then when they are b!tch!ng about it, tell them, Well you had the LFM up for 1-20, you asked for it.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

rawzon3
09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
I think the chinese players on sarlona use 1-20 lfm's when they are looking for other chinese players to join, I could be wrong about that though.

Brennie
09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I think the chinese players on sarlona use 1-20 lfm's when they are looking for other chinese players to join, I could be wrong about that though.

I think they put a buncha non-english words in their LFM group tab too...

I once asked someone what their LFM meant (and being a returning player, i assumed it was a new quest i was unfamiliar with). They said it means "Good player". And then they never invited me to the group.

I did group with them later, and they were the zergiest player I have ever teamed with. their grasp of English included only the phrases "Firewall here" "Haste now" and "Go fast".

I think that non-english phrase i was told means "Good player" actually means "Zergers welcome" >_>

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2009, 10:11 PM

I'd assume that was a favor run and join it... at least when I'm bored thats what I did :D

Esserbe
09-21-2009, 05:08 AM
heh look at these nubs not using the interface correctly, how dare they make me scroll

I know I'll join their group and leech their XP that'll teach those farken a$$hats a lesson

farken 0wned!!!

^^^^^^^^

This is essentially what you are doing. Don't do that.

Bunker
09-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Get use to it for a while Guys and Gals. New players come to Stormreach every day. Not everything is learned in the first week.

On the other hand, I sure hope there is a "Tool Tip" for setting up accurate lfms. Of course if requires the players to have tool tips turned on. I suppose one can dream. :rolleyes:

vainangel
09-21-2009, 05:28 AM
/signed

Sambvca
09-21-2009, 05:43 AM
New Hobby...join 1-20 LFMs with my lvl 17....jump in quest and kill the xp.....then when they are b!tch!ng about it, tell them, Well you had the LFM up for 1-20, you asked for it.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Reminds me of why I accept blind invites - join and hop in an explorer, "I'm not leaving, you leave. I don't care if there's 5 of you, I thought you wanted to talk.":D

Slap_Happy
09-21-2009, 05:47 AM

Lorien_the_First_One
09-21-2009, 06:47 AM
heh look at these nubs not using the interface correctly, how dare they make me scroll

I know I'll join their group and leech their XP that'll teach those farken a$$hats a lesson

farken 0wned!!!

^^^^^^^^

This is essentially what you are doing. Don't do that.

Reading skills are not too much to ask. There aren't exactly that many options on the LFM setup, it isn't complicated.

Jayfunked
09-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Reading skills are not too much to ask. There aren't exactly that many options on the LFM setup, it isn't complicated.

it's even less complicated to leave them be and not purposefuly try to ruin their experience with an 'i've been here three years and I know it so so should they' attitude.

People doing this for reactions need to take a harder look at themselves.

This game needs those people so well done everyone involved.

chton13
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
it's even less complicated to leave them be and not purposefuly try to ruin their experience with an 'i've been here three years and I know it so so should they' attitude.

Yes, the game needs more people who can't be bothered to learn the interface.

Jayfunked
09-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, the game needs more people who can't be bothered to learn the interface.

And less players who won't give them a fair chance to.

/ Agreed

adamkatt
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Get use to it for a while Guys and Gals. New players come to Stormreach every day. Not everything is learned in the first week.

On the other hand, I sure hope there is a "Tool Tip" for setting up accurate lfms. Of course if requires the players to have tool tips turned on. I suppose one can dream. :rolleyes:

Damn your vulcan logic!

Esserbe
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM

No, it isn't complicated. Reading skills are not too much to ask, I agree, but neither is common courtesy, understanding and empathy.

Going out of one's way to ruin the experience for others because of it, or even discussing it, says more about the persons in this thread than it says about new players who miss the level range indicator.

jarlaxle_dourden
09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
That's they way I know what groups NOT to join ...

If they know how to use the level range then I am guessing they at least have a clue and I join the PUG ...

Don't ruin my strategy man!

chton13
09-21-2009, 09:13 AM

/ Agreed

Sounds great lets not have any standards as long as we get more players. Why have any expectations, I guess the image people want to have of F2Pers as mouth breathing children from WoW is correct so let's just deal and be happy that we have an inflated population, no matter what.

Uska
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Yes we need more people who dont read or learn to play these are also likely the same idiots spaming trash gear for sale in the trade channel

Uska
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM

/ Agreed

If they cant be bothered to read simple 1st grade level instructions then the sooner they are gone the better

Uska
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
No, it isn't complicated. Reading skills are not too much to ask, I agree, but neither is common courtesy, understanding and empathy.

Going out of one's way to ruin the experience for others because of it, or even discussing it, says more about the persons in this thread than it says about new players who miss the level range indicator.

I had empathy once then I got smart and had surgery to have it removed.:D

Aerendil
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I've seen all sorts of LFM issues over on Cannith, including the 1-20 level ranges. But some other examples of weirdness - Stormcleave groups with a level 2-4 range in the LFM, and WW elite for 9-12 (no mention of favour run only, so one can only presume they expected XP. Maybe?).
Additionally, I've seen groups with, say, a 7-9 level range in it, but the group had several level 4s.

Not quite sure what's going on over there, but it's bizarre.
Take care when joining groups, folks, and do try to educate people ingame. Not everyone reads these forums.

Zachski
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
ITT: Elitists

Oh yeah, how dare THEY intrude on YOUR gaming experience by not understanding the game due to being NEWBIES.

FYI, the level indicator is so small and in such an odd place (that is, I expected it to be towards the top, not on the left side in a non-extreme location) that it's so easy to just overlook it if you're not looking for it or happen to accidentally glance at it. Reading skills have nothing to do with it.

The only reason I even knew it was there was because I had read this topic and heard complaints and made an effort to look for it. But guess what? Not all newbies read the forums, and not all the newbies who do the 1-20 thing are idiots from WoW-- they're NEWBIES. Equating 1-20ers with the idiots from WoW is a leap of logic equivalent to jumping to the moon from the bottom of an ocean!

Get off your high horses for a moment. Many of these problems would be easier solved if you just sent a tell to the party leader telling him that he can do (this) to get an appropriate level range for his party, how it would benefit him, etc. There, you just took maybe 15 seconds (depending on how fast you can type) to educate a newbie. If he responds with "**** n00b lol" or something along those lines of idiocy, then... well, what comes after "then" is up to you. But really, griefing lowbies is not a solution-- it's a problem.

EDIT: And yes, I know it lists the level of the person trying to join. But newbies don't really know what the level range before a loss of EXP is, or that there's even a loss of EXP in the first place. They're newbies. They're not born with all the knowledge in the game. It's still griefing to take advantage of a newbie's lack of knowledge.

chton13
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
While it's fine to have understanding that new players won't grasp everything about this game from the start, if you honestly can't figure out this part of the LFM system I don't know what to say. Does that give people the right to grief them, no, but again courtesy doesn't mean having no standards. I guess any of us who figured this out must be super geniuses and thus maybe somewhat elitist what with our over sized intellects. It's not like figuring out a good build or knowing where quests are located. If you look at the LFMs you can see a level range, doesn't it behoove you to look around for how to set it? Oh again that would be having standards and thus very elitist.

Aerendil
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Zachski: Yep, true on most of those points. It isn't the most optimal tab for grouping, to be sure. The "LFG" tab, for example, is almost always ignored, which is somewhat counter-intuitive to what you would expect in a MMO.

However, the problem is that there are so many prerequisites in DDO, it's hard to make a good grouping tab.
Especially now with VIP vs. F2P folk, it's just one extra thing to check for when forming a group to ensure you don't step on any toes. Nobody wants to be 2 min shy of a quest only to find out that you need to have purchased a series of quests, and done 4 quests as pre-reqs, and are expected to have <insert weapon type or spell here> as well.
This is why a lot of "vets" tend to stick to guild-only groups or grouping with people they know. It's so much easier to just explain things to people in a guild chat environment, than to separately explain to each person why they can't join your quest. It's never fun to tell someone who's really excited they get to see a red dragon that, sorry, you need to have completed 4 missions previously before you can go on this one.
So do go easy on the vets as well - we're not exactly being ignorant jerks for the fun of it. It's just that the grouping tab currently ingame can't possibly convey all the information required. And little things like forgetting to add level ranges will just confuse people even further!

Zachski
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Zachski: Yep, true on most of those points. It isn't the most optimal tab for grouping, to be sure. The "LFG" tab, for example, is almost always ignored, which is somewhat counter-intuitive to what you would expect in a MMO.

However, the problem is that there are so many prerequisites in DDO, it's hard to make a good grouping tab.
Especially now with VIP vs. F2P folk, it's just one extra thing to check for when forming a group to ensure you don't step on any toes. Nobody wants to be 2 min shy of a quest only to find out that you need to have purchased a series of quests, and done 4 quests as pre-reqs, and are expected to have <insert weapon type or spell here> as well.
This is why a lot of "vets" tend to stick to guild-only groups or grouping with people they know. It's so much easier to just explain things to people in a guild chat environment, than to separately explain to each person why they can't join your quest. It's never fun to tell someone who's really excited they get to see a red dragon that, sorry, you need to have completed 4 missions previously before you can go on this one.
So do go easy on the vets as well - we're not exactly being ignorant jerks for the fun of it. It's just that the grouping tab currently ingame can't possibly convey all the information required. And little things like forgetting to add level ranges will just confuse people even further!

I actually really like vets because of how knowledgeable they are about the game. I've learned a lot by just reading forum posts. But these were things I couldn't exactly figure out myself, so I kinda needed the information.

And yes, LFG is oddly pointless. And I agree with you that LFM doesn't convey enough information.

It's also kinda annoying when someone wants to join my party and I want them to join my party and then I get a message saying "(Player) can't join party because they are at a different experience level of Korthos" (I'm assuming this means Sunny) OR "(Player) can't join party unless all party members visit Stormreach"

That's nonsensical. I really love this game, but that bothers me more than any 1-20 thing could.

By the way, there's elitists and there's vets. You don't sound like an elitist to me.

Zachski
09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
While it's fine to have understanding that new players won't grasp everything about this game from the start, if you honestly can't figure out this part of the LFM system I don't know what to say. Does that give people the right to grief them, no, but again courtesy doesn't mean having no standards. I guess any of us who figured this out must be super geniuses and thus maybe somewhat elitist what with our over sized intellects. It's not like figuring out a good build or knowing where quests are located. If you look at the LFMs you can see a level range, doesn't it behoove you to look around for how to set it? Oh again that would be having standards and thus very elitist.

Please explain to me why a newbie would know to care about level range when they don't even know about the EXP penalty or how it inconveniences (oh, the horror!) the "vets"?

Uska
09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
ITT: Elitists

Oh yeah, how dare THEY intrude on YOUR gaming experience by not understanding the game due to being NEWBIES.

FYI, the level indicator is so small and in such an odd place (that is, I expected it to be towards the top, not on the left side in a non-extreme location) that it's so easy to just overlook it if you're not looking for it or happen to accidentally glance at it. Reading skills have nothing to do with it.

The only reason I even knew it was there was because I had read this topic and heard complaints and made an effort to look for it. But guess what? Not all newbies read the forums, and not all the newbies who do the 1-20 thing are idiots from WoW-- they're NEWBIES. Equating 1-20ers with the idiots from WoW is a leap of logic equivalent to jumping to the moon from the bottom of an ocean!

Get off your high horses for a moment. Many of these problems would be easier solved if you just sent a tell to the party leader telling him that he can do (this) to get an appropriate level range for his party, how it would benefit him, etc. There, you just took maybe 15 seconds (depending on how fast you can type) to educate a newbie. If he responds with "**** n00b lol" or something along those lines of idiocy, then... well, what comes after "then" is up to you. But really, griefing lowbies is not a solution-- it's a problem.

EDIT: And yes, I know it lists the level of the person trying to join. But newbies don't really know what the level range before a loss of EXP is, or that there's even a loss of EXP in the first place. They're newbies. They're not born with all the knowledge in the game. It's still griefing to take advantage of a newbie's lack of knowledge.

I have tried telling these people nicely and they get really rude and say they know al there is to know I wont take advantage of them but I wont help idiots either.

chton13
09-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Please explain to me why a newbie would know to care about level range when they don't even know about the EXP penalty or how it inconveniences (oh, the horror!) the "vets"?

Again, you are right, let's not have any standards or expect anything from the new players. I apologize for asking people to operate under the standards I hold myself to, I understand that makes me an elitist. It's shameful that since I bother to research things I would expect others to, or to even examine a screen when I should just clicky clicky clicky and get er done !!! We should cater to the LCD and not expect anything and we'll all be happy. Damn you vets and your reasonable expectations, damn you and your standards.
Please continue to ignore anything that takes more than 1 second to click on, don't bother with level range, don't put in what quest, don't check icons for classes. Hell skip that whole LFM thing and just start sending blind invites to whoever is nearby or try to form a group in the general tab or advice channel. Be sure to righteously defend your actions as necessary to help the game survive!

Zachski
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Again, you are right, let's not have any standards or expect anything from the new players. I apologize for asking people to operate under the standards I hold myself to, I understand that makes me an elitist. It's shameful that since I bother to research things I would expect others to, or to even examine a screen when I should just clicky clicky clicky and get er done !!! We should cater to the LCD and not expect anything and we'll all be happy. Damn you vets and your reasonable expectations, damn you and your standards.
Please continue to ignore anything that takes more than 1 second to click on, don't bother with level range, don't put in what quest, don't check icons for classes. Hell skip that whole LFM thing and just start sending blind invites to whoever is nearby or try to form a group in the general tab or advice channel. Be sure to righteously defend your actions as necessary to help the game survive!

I see you're operating under the assumption that I don't know how to use level ranges, selecting quests, etc.

I find that hilarious. Yes, I do know how to use those. I researched it on the forums. But you know what? Some people just want to play. And I'll defend those newbies from elitists like you because that's just how I roll.

"Standards"? Umm, new players are new players. If it was someone at level 10 who was still using 1-20, then you might have a case, but by god, cut new players some slack. They're new. I'm new, too, but I'm not like most other new players.

By the way, yes, you are being an elitist. Just because you hold yourself to your own standards doesn't make you an elitist, it just makes you not a hypocrite. You may hold yourself to those standards, but your level of arrogance and "no one DARE inconvenience me" just screams "elitist".

chton13
09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I freely admit to being an elitist by your definition, i.e. someone who expects of others no less than themselves. If that makes me a bad person so be it. I never accused you of not knowing these things, I merely accused you of tolerating such behavior. I'd rather be an elitist than a hypocrite any day. I don't support anyone griefing new players but I can't condone laziness. That's the way I roll. Subsidizing laziness by accepting it is just as bad as the laziness. Feel free to think you are in some way better than me for having lower standards, I will content myself with the fact that I hold myself and others to a higher standard. Does that make me a better person, no, but again I never acted like I was.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-21-2009, 02:02 PM

I spent the first week sending friendly tells, which were 99% of the time ignored or generated rude responses. It used up my patience.

It didn't take me 3 years to figure out the LFM page. It is very clear and easy to understand and I wouldn't have hit that post button the first time without reading all the options on the very small and simple screen. There is really no reason except pure lazines not to limit the levels.

Devastation
09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
/signed

/signed

/signed

I'm getting ready to just start joining with my high Char's to "help" them understand!

Dexxaan
09-21-2009, 02:19 PM
I say let them continue.

How else are we gonna know how to avoid the new and upcoming Noobers, Newbers, Nubers....whatever you call em.

Welcome to DDO guys, learn to enjoy the game, sign up and REALLY enjoy the game to it`s fullest, but try to do so in a way that you have the least negative impact on the Old Schoolers that have provided the life support system that sustained this great game until now. :cool:

Zachski
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I freely admit to being an elitist by your definition, i.e. someone who expects of others no less than themselves. If that makes me a bad person so be it. I never accused you of not knowing these things, I merely accused you of tolerating such behavior. I'd rather be an elitist than a hypocrite any day. I don't support anyone griefing new players but I can't condone laziness. That's the way I roll. Subsidizing laziness by accepting it is just as bad as the laziness. Feel free to think you are in some way better than me for having lower standards, I will content myself with the fact that I hold myself and others to a higher standard. Does that make me a better person, no, but again I never acted like I was.

That's not what I mean by an elitist.

An elitist is someone who thinks they have the right to act like arrogant jerks to other people simply because they have more experience in a game or better equipment or whatever. No, you don't.

I don't mean to accept the laziness, either. Rather, be a part of the solution, not a whole new problem. Send a tell. If they react negatively, then chances are they aren't gonna last long in the game anyways so you should just leave them be. However, advocating griefing is being a troll. Which you are not doing. That is, you are an elitist, but not a troll.

To be honest, though, I've noticed a ton of elitist snobs in the newbie forum.

To the trolls who say you're going to grief these newbies...

Really, who do you think you're punishing with the whole "join their party" thing? You're not just punishing the party leader, you're punishing the entire party, many of them being decent newbies. The whole "they're asking for it" is ********. That's like saying someone wearing a skimpy bikini is "asking to be raped". Granted, griefing isn't anywhere close to rape, but the logic is the same.

My respect level goes like this: Veteran > Newbie > n00b = elitist >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> troll

I say let them continue.

How else are we gonna know how to avoid the new and upcoming Noobers, Newbers, Nubers....whatever you call em.

Welcome to DDO guys, learn to enjoy the game, sign up and REALLY enjoy the game to it`s fullest, but try to do so in a way that you have the least negative impact on the Old Schoolers that have provided the life support system that sustained this great game until now. :cool:

That really sounds like "Respect mah authoritah!" to me.

Enochroot
09-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Really, who do you think you're punishing with the whole "join their party" thing? You're not just punishing the party leader, you're punishing the entire party, many of them being decent newbies. The whole "they're asking for it" is ********. That's like saying someone wearing a skimpy bikini is "asking to be raped". Granted, griefing isn't anywhere close to rape, but the logic is the same.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "join their party" thing. This is the easiest way to hit 12 1-20 LFM's that are all 2-3 WW posts in about 10 seconds.

Generally 8 of them will figure out what's up, and change their LFM, one guy will send you a tell like "we don't need a level 20 in WW", and one guy will accept you. I'll chat with the guy who actually accepts me, send a tell to the dude that said he didn't need a 20, and I've taken care of 10 LFM's and convinced that many more people to use the level range. I'd bet people are more willing to use the level indicator after getting a bunch of the wrong levels trying to join their party than after some "helpful tells" to remind them to use it.

Anyway - you pretend that joining their party hurts them somehow ... it doesn't. It doesn't take away xp, fun, anything, not really sure what you're getting at.