PDA

View Full Version : Ok is it just me or..

Gregen
09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Is this game way too hard? Up until now the game was fairly easy. Now it's like ***. I tried soloing the same quest three times but I keep dying at the same part, and it's the same in several other quests. This is what my character does "miss miss miss miss, take massive dmg, miss miss miss miss miss, give decent dmg, miss miss miss, take massive dmg, waste potion or three, miss miss miss take massive dmg, die. I mean I'm following a build from these forums, my weapons and armor are all masterwork.. and I'm even in solo mode on a quest one level below me. What gives?

cdbd3rd
09-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Is this game way too hard? Up until now the game was fairly easy. Now it's like ***. I tried soloing the same quest three times but I keep dying at the same part, and it's the same in several other quests. This is what my character does "miss miss miss miss, take massive dmg, miss miss miss miss miss, give decent dmg, miss miss miss, take massive dmg, waste potion or three, miss miss miss take massive dmg, die. I mean I'm following a build from these forums, my weapons and armor are all masterwork.. and I'm even in solo mode on a quest one level below me. What gives?

Masterwork... :rolleyes:

What quest(s)?
What's your class/level?

landlord40
09-19-2009, 07:45 PM
hey bud I can tell you right now that just having masterwork and just using a certain build will not do it. You need to have a strategy and you need to be using a class that is good at soloing. Spellcasters generally are harder to solo things. Unless its Paladin or Cleric. Even then not everything can be solo'd by everyone.

If you give more details we can try and help you out. What is your level, build, equipment, and what quest and mobs are you having difficulty with.

bobbryan2
09-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Soloing gets tough in this game. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and use some LFMs, get some better gear, and try again with a new approach.

It's very possible, but you're right, it's tough.

cdemeritt
09-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Funny, I've been complaining that it is just too easy now... you think it is hard now, you should have tried it before mod 9...

Gregen
09-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm a level 3 elf ranger. It feels like the learning curve is very difficult, it goes from "wow this is mad easy" to "I'm ready to rage quit" in just a day or two. I did complete this quest once, I don't know if it's just my luck or what. because the first time I did it I came out with near full health. Also the butcher's path is ridiculous, two people going in there are going to be slaughtered, it says suggested for two or more. There was another quest, some hills, I don't remember the name, full party wipe several times with about five people, on normal mode. Those orcish looking things deal far too much dmg, two or three hits and you're dead. If I can't figure out what to do I may give up on this game completely and I haven't even played a week.

Gregen
09-19-2009, 08:03 PM
What I want to know is why do I keep missing so much?!

enochiancub
09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Gregan, it can be many factors. Giving us your build would help immensely. A few things. Are you using two weapons without the feat? Are you in armor but not proficient? Do you have defensive fighting turned on? etc et al

Gregen
09-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Gregan, it can be many factors. Giving us your class and build would help immensely. A few things. Are you using two weapons without the feat? Are you in armor but not proficient? Do you have defensive fighting turned on? etc et al

I'm an elf ranger 2, put 1 into wizard. I'm using two weapons with proficiency and also a bow with proficiency. I'm using light armor with proficiency and there is no armor check penalty.

enochiancub
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
How friggen weird. Hmm, is the offhand weapon light? I.e. Shortsword or Dagger?

Stand still in game, open your inventory and let us know what your attacks are listed as.

Gregen
09-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Two long swords. I don't know what you mean by my attacks listed though.

enochiancub
09-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok thats the problem. Equip a shortsword, dagger or another "light" weapon into your off hand.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Two-weapon_fighting

malaky
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
There's your problem. Longswords aren't light. You need to get oversized two weapon fighting or use a light offhand weapon.

*Edit* You can check your attack bonus using your inventory screen. Hit the "I" key and see what it says your bonus to hit is.

Saaluta
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
You need to use a finesse weapon in your off hand...shortsword, dagger, light mace. With two longswords, you take a higher penalty than using say a longsword and dagger.

If you open up your inventory panel, if you look at the very bottom, it will tell you your BAB(base attack bonus) with whatever you have equipped.

Saal :)

Orratti
09-19-2009, 10:07 PM
I would say that using a magical or regular shield would be better than using two weapons at lvl 3 or actually for a good while after that. Using only one weapon and a shield raises your to hit chances so you will get more damage from it as you won't be getting the miss miss miss half as often and won't be getting hit as often either plus having a caster lvl in there lowers your chance to hit as well.

enochiancub
09-19-2009, 10:09 PM
I would say that using a magical or regular shield would be better than using two weapons at lvl 3 or actually for a good while after that. You will get more damage from it as you won't be getting the miss miss miss half as often and won't be gett ing hit as often either plus having a caster lvl in there lowers your chance to hit as well.

Quoted for truth

I really do hope we helped OP

Qzipoun
09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
My 2cp:

If you don't know what you're doing, follow one of the pre-made builds or get a build off the forums until you get a better feel for the game. Nothing should be even REMOTELY difficult at the lower levels (the fact that you made it to lvl 3 using two longswords means the beginning quests are way too easy).

Vormaerin
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
A lvl 2 ranger/lvl 1 wizard will have a base attack bonus of +2. You will get a modifier for your strength (don't know what that is) of +2 to +4. We'll guess you have a 16 Str and +3. Masterwork gives a +1 to hit.

So your to hit should be +6. Using two large weapons is a -4. That's dropping your attack bonus back to +2. If you switch to a sword and dagger, you'll only have -2 to hit and be at +4.

If you run around like a crazy man while you fight, you take a -4 to hit, btw, but that doesn't sound like its a big factor your example.

If you are a ranger/wizard, you are probably wearing minimal armor and no shield. That's making it easy for you to be hit. You might want to consider using a sword and shield combo until you get a few more levels and some better armor. That will make it more likely you hit (no -2 to hit for two weapons) and less likely you'll get hit (better AC). Just make sure to put the shield away before you cast a spell, so it doesn't mess up your casting chance.

As far as soloing goes, are you taking full advantage of your stealth skills? Rangers have them for a reason. Try things like using stealth to sneak up to the enemy shaman and Trip him to start the fight. Or just ignore fights you don't have to win. What wizard spells are you using? By far the two best you have at level one are Hypnotism (UBER!!!!) and Summon Monster I (dogs are pretty effective until you get out of the harbor quests). Charm Person is pretty solid also.

Lozareth
09-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Take a hireling cleric with you too. They're cheap.

Gregen
09-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Huh, I had no idea. I'll switch to a short sword or shield, then and try it out. Thanks everyone, I hope this works out

@Orratti
How does having a caster lvl lower my chances to hit? I do know that I won't be a very powerful caster, but I'm okay with that because it's fun for me to play like this, but I didn't know it would decrease chance to hit. Hows that work, does raising it decrease it more? I was planning on getting wizard to lvl 4 or 5.

Vormaerin
09-19-2009, 10:45 PM
He just means that your base to hit bonus is based on your class levels.

A Ranger/Fighter/Paladin/Barbarian gets +1 every level.
A Cleric/Rogue/Bard/Favored Soul gets +2 every 3 levels (so +0/+1/+1 repeat).
A Wizard or Sorceror gets +1 every 2 levesl (so +0/+1)

As a result, you have +2 to hit being a R2/W1 instead of +3 for being pure ranger.

Gregen
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
A lvl 2 ranger/lvl 1 wizard will have a base attack bonus of +2. You will get a modifier for your strength (don't know what that is) of +2 to +4. We'll guess you have a 16 Str and +3. Masterwork gives a +1 to hit.

So your to hit should be +6. Using two large weapons is a -4. That's dropping your attack bonus back to +2. If you switch to a sword and dagger, you'll only have -2 to hit and be at +4.

If you run around like a crazy man while you fight, you take a -4 to hit, btw, but that doesn't sound like its a big factor your example.

If you are a ranger/wizard, you are probably wearing minimal armor and no shield. That's making it easy for you to be hit. You might want to consider using a sword and shield combo until you get a few more levels and some better armor. That will make it more likely you hit (no -2 to hit for two weapons) and less likely you'll get hit (better AC). Just make sure to put the shield away before you cast a spell, so it doesn't mess up your casting chance.

As far as soloing goes, are you taking full advantage of your stealth skills? Rangers have them for a reason. Try things like using stealth to sneak up to the enemy shaman and Trip him to start the fight. Or just ignore fights you don't have to win. What wizard spells are you using? By far the two best you have at level one are Hypnotism (UBER!!!!) and Summon Monster I (dogs are pretty effective until you get out of the harbor quests). Charm Person is pretty solid also.

My strength is 14 + 2. I'm not going to lie, I didn't understand your entire post, I'm pretty tired and haven't eaten all day, but my Base Attack Bonus is +2. I'm wearing +1 studded leather armor.

The spells I'm using are Burning hand, Hypnotism and Mage Armor. Burning hand may be the only attack spell I'm interested in, that's why I'm getting no more than 5 wizard levels, because then I'll be getting the full potential of the spell, at least as much as a ranger can. Hypnotism IS uber, I overheard someone in town saying it was a good spell so while I was choosing I picked that one. I thought it was a single target spell, so I was impressed when a full room of monsters were standing there helplessly lol. Picked em off one by one.
I'm probably not going to get any other wiz attacks, maybe a couple others. I plan on getting other spells that aren't affected by caster level, like buffs and debuffs, flame arrow.

tinyelvis
09-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Don't forget you can use the terrain to your advantage. Jump to ledges out of monsters reach. Cast your crowd control spell. Then fight the bad guys piecemeal. Fight in doorways so monsters cant surround you. Use ranged weapons to pull some of the mobs toward you instead of charging into battle. Hop into water and dive out of fire. You can drink heal pots under water.

Vormaerin
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM
The short version is that your current character should have the following to hit scores:

Sword and Shield: +5
Sword and "dagger": +3
Two swords: +1

You've been doing the last, which is why you are missing a lot. And your armor class is not very good with studded leather and no shield. FYI, Mage Amor is not helping you at all. Mage Armor gives you a +4 Armor bonus. You are already getting that from your studded leather (which is base 3 +1 enhancement).

Shield would help you a lot more. It would stop Magic Missiles and replace the Shield bonus you don't have when fighting with two weapons.

The other thing to consider is that crit range on a weapon is very important, since that is (simplified) the chance you have of critting. A weapon that is 1d6 with a 15% chance of critting (Rapier or scimitar) is usually better than a weapon that does 1d8 damage, but only a 10% chance of critting (longsword).

Some things (undead, golems, oozes) can't be critted, but most things can. And a lot of special effects on weapons you'll get later on take effect on a critical.

Gregen
09-19-2009, 11:23 PM
The short version is that your current character should have the following to hit scores:

Sword and Shield: +5
Sword and "dagger": +3
Two swords: +1

You've been doing the last, which is why you are missing a lot. And your armor class is not very good with studded leather and no shield. FYI, Mage Amor is not helping you at all. Mage Armor gives you a +4 Armor bonus. You are already getting that from your studded leather (which is base 3 +1 enhancement).

Shield would help you a lot more. It would stop Magic Missiles and replace the Shield bonus you don't have when fighting with two weapons.

The other thing to consider is that crit range on a weapon is very important, since that is (simplified) the chance you have of critting. A weapon that is 1d6 with a 15% chance of critting (Rapier or scimitar) is usually better than a weapon that does 1d8 damage, but only a 10% chance of critting (longsword).

Some things (undead, golems, oozes) can't be critted, but most things can. And a lot of special effects on weapons you'll get later on take effect on a critical.

I'm apparently clueless as to the mechanics of this game. I automatically assumed Mage Armor stacked.

Btw, are scimitars considers light or heavy? I want to use them but 1, I haven't seen any. And 2. I want to if I should get oversized TWF.

abull74
09-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey , OP...what is your STR and DEX? if your DEX is higher you might want to think about taking the FEAT weapon finesse. This allows your character to use DEX to determine your "To-HIT" numbers. Keep in mind that if you should take Weapon Finesse, you have to use the smaller weapons, i.e. shortswords, rapiers, kukri's, hand axes. You cant use the larger weapons if you have Weapon Finesse. Well, you CAN...but you will not like the outcome.

Also, it sounds like you are dieing too easily....what is your CON....if it is below a 12...DONT MELEE....you will get pwned.

Masterwork gear is SH!T. Don't think that you have something good because it says Masterwork.

Last, but not least, This game is NOT hard. I can jump in the same quests you died in, with a full party and run ahead of the group to finish the whole thing without them. I am NOT bragging, I am saying this because it is all about KNOWING the game!!!
You are new to DDO...so give yourself time to learn how the mobs work, how the feats and skills come into play, how certain weapons are better for your particular race/class/fighting style.....
This is NOT WoW!!! This is not like any other MMO out there where you can make a toon and lvl it upto lvl50 all by yourself. This game is based on grouping.

I hope you take the time to really learn the game and you will see how much there is to enjoy in DDO....

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Gregen
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey , OP...what is your STR and DEX? if your DEX is higher you might want to think about taking the FEAT weapon finesse. This allows your character to use DEX to determine your "To-HIT" numbers. Keep in mind that if you should take Weapon Finesse, you have to use the smaller weapons, i.e. shortswords, rapiers, kukri's, hand axes. You cant use the larger weapons if you have Weapon Finesse. Well, you CAN...but you will not like the outcome.

Also, it sounds like you are dieing too easily....what is your CON....if it is below a 12...DONT MELEE....you will get pwned.

Masterwork gear is SH!T. Don't think that you have something good because it says Masterwork.

Last, but not least, This game is NOT hard. I can jump in the same quests you died in, with a full party and run ahead of the group to finish the whole thing without them. I am NOT bragging, I am saying this because it is all about KNOWING the game!!!
You are new to DDO...so give yourself time to learn how the mobs work, how the feats and skills come into play, how certain weapons are better for your particular race/class/fighting style.....
This is NOT WoW!!! This is not like any other MMO out there where you can make a toon and lvl it upto lvl50 all by yourself. This game is based on grouping.

I hope you take the time to really learn the game and you will see how much there is to enjoy in DDO....

I AM THE FPOON!!!

My STR=14, DEX=17 and CON=12. I know the CON is low, I was following a wiz/ranger build and it requires some points into INT. I'll take the advice I've gotten on this thread and see how I do. I enjoy grouping but my friends don't play as often as I do so I solo sometimes.

Gregen
09-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Yay, Sword+shield and Sword+shortsword rocks. Made a huge difference, did that same quest and it was easy as pie. :)

I still want to know if scimitars are heavy or light and how to get them. I was planning on getting oversized TWF so I can use two long swords, but scimitars are cool and I won't get that feat if I can get scimitars.

Melkor_The_Mighty
09-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Yay, Sword+shield and Sword+shortsword rocks. Made a huge difference, did that same quest and it was easy as pie. :)

I still want to know if scimitars are heavy or light and how to get them. I was planning on getting oversized TWF so I can use two long swords, but scimitars are cool and I won't get that feat if I can get scimitars.

Scims are NOT light weapons

abull74
09-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Take the FEAT "Weapon Finesse"....and use LIGHT weapons in both hands....you will hit ALOT more often this way.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Vormaerin
09-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Take the FEAT "Weapon Finesse"....and use LIGHT weapons in both hands....you will hit ALOT more often this way.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Hey, Abull, if you are going to come on with that kind of attitude, you ought to at least make some sort of sense when you talk.

There is absolutely no reason to use a light weapon in both hands. None whatsoever. In fact, its positively stupid. You are far better off with a rapier in your main hand when going Weapon finesse than with any light weapon in the game.

Gregen,

If you plan on keeping your Dex significantly higher than your strength, you do want to get Weapon Finesse. If you are going to put your level up points into Strength, you can safely skip that.

If you do go weapon finesse, you will need to use a rapier in your main hand to take advantage of that. If you don't bother with Finesse, then you can use whatever you like. This is generally better, but rangers do have an easier time building up Dex so they often go the Finesse route.

If you go the Strength/Non finesse strategy, you can consider getting the exotic weapon: Khopesh, which combines the best features of scimitars and axes :P

Regarding Oversized two weapon fighting, I think its a waste but not everyone agrees. Unless you are getting two khopeshes, the improved damage between going scimitar/kukri and two scimitars is minimal. You can get more from other feat options.

abull74
09-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Duh...hello...rapier is considered a light weapon....otherwise it wouldnt be finessible(able?) whatever.....

I told him he would be able to use rapiers btw...

Keep in mind that if you should take Weapon Finesse, you have to use the smaller weapons, i.e. shortswords, rapiers, kukri's, hand axes.

Look at my first post, you will see this in my FIRST paragraph.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Vormaerin
09-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Rapiers are NOT light weapons. You wield a rapier in each hand and you'll get the -4 penalty for not having oversized weapon use feat.

Just because something can be used with Weapon Finesse does not make it Light.

abull74
09-20-2009, 01:30 AM
It is "light" enough to be used by weapon finesse....Holy man......Put it on a bumper sticker...No ONE CARES....I gave some sound advice to the OP and you have to come along and be a total ....who gives a if it is really considered to be a light weapon? It works with Weapon Finesse doesn't it? And I told him that earlier, didn't I?

The whole point was STR build don't worry....DEX build go finesse......

It is people like you that, make other people go to prison!!!

SILENCE!!!

I AM THE FPOON!!!

Vormaerin
09-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, who cares if you give the guy accurate information or not.. Telling him rapiers are light weapons in a thread where other people are telling him to make sure he has a light weapon in his off hand is not helpful.

Anyway, the only one getting aggro in this thread is you. You might try relaxing a bit.

Gregen
09-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Wait, I could have put no points into STR and have gotten weapon finesse? I feel like I have wasted points now =/

Thailand_Dan
09-20-2009, 03:12 AM
I figured I'd just add this. The great part about wizards is the ability to switch spells, in case you didn't know. Yes, you get to choose spells when you level up, but almost all spells are available on scrolls from vendors (lvl 1-2 in market place tent, 3+ in houses or the portable hole). You take these scrolls and some spell inscription materials, and you can write them in your spell book.

What this does is allow you to switch out your spells when you shrine or go into a tavern. So, if you don't want mage armor, run into a tavern, open your character sheet (the page listing your STR, DEX, CON, etc.) click on the spells tab, then the sub tab L1, L2, etc. At the bottom you should see 2 or three slots which you can drag your spells into, to load them for use. But remember, you need to inscribe them before they become available to you.

You can Inscribe spells by looking under the Feats Tab in your character sheet. Drag and drop the icon onto a toolbar. Once you buy the scrolls you need, or loot them from a chest, click on them once, and hit that inscribe button. All done. You only need to inscribe each spell once.

Vormaerin
09-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Well, Weapon Finesse would help your to hit. Damage modifers are still based on Strength. So a 10 Str, 20 Dex finesse character would be +5 to hit, +0 damage and be limited to rapiers and light weapons.

Your 16 Str, 16 Dex character would be +3 to hit, +3 damage, be able to use any weapon main hand and have an extra feat.

So its really not quite so easy a decision. But since both elves and rangers get +Dex, it may be easier to go full Dex and dump Strength.

Arianrhod
09-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Wait, I could have put no points into STR and have gotten weapon finesse? I feel like I have wasted points now =/

Putting points into strength is never a waste for a ranger :)

Weapon finesse allows you to use your dex bonus insteas of your strength bonus to hit, but strength is still used to determine damage. Strength also adds to your damage when using a longbow or shortbow (if you are a ranger or have the bow strength feat).

Noctus
09-20-2009, 09:41 AM
It is "light" enough to be used by weapon finesse....Holy Sh!t man......Put it on a bumper sticker...No ONE CARES....I gave some sound advice to the OP and you have to come along and be a total F&*KTARD....who gives a F*&KING RATS A$$ if it is really considered to be a light weapon? It works with Weapon Finesse doesn't it? And I told him that earlier, didn't I?

The whole point was STR build don't worry....DEX build go finesse......

It is people like you that, make other people go to prison!!!

SILENCE!!!

I AM THE FPOON!!!

You were wrong.

You were corrected.

You start throwing a tantrum like a bad-tempered 5 year old, as if his mommy just told him he can not have this 5-pack of Snickers from the sweets section of the supermarket. "How does anybody dare to correct me! Me, who is the mighty FPOON!" ......
Such behavior throws some bad light onto you, abull.

Gregen
09-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Hmm, what exactly is "to hit"?

Visty
09-20-2009, 10:59 AM
your bonus which gets added to your dieroll to see if you hit

Haribo
09-20-2009, 11:04 AM
"to hit" is your bonus that gets added to your die to see if you successfully hit your opponent's AC.

Example: you attack a kobold, and it has 14 ac. You roll a 20-sided die. Say you rolled 8. To that 8, your "to-hit" bonus gets added. For this example, lets assume your to-hit is 5. So 8+5 < 14, you miss.

A lot of things contribute to your "to-hit" bonus. Your Base attack bonus (abbreviated BAB), the enchancements on your weapons (masterwork weapons give +1), your ability modifier (str, or dex if you have weapons finesse), some items (you can get some googles as a reward of one of the korthos quests that give a stacking +1) etc.

Right now you should have 2 from BAB, 1 from weapon, 2 from STR modifier. Thats 5. If you equip 2 weapons at once, it gives you a -2 penalty, if the weapon in your off-hand is heavy, that penalty becomes -4.

Kobolds usually have AC around 14-16 (i guess) so with a to-hit bonus of 5, you need a minimum of a 9 on your d20 rolls. Thats hitting 55% of the time. If you equip 2 weapons, now you need a minimum of 11, or in other words, you only hit 45% of the time.

Hope this helps to clear some.

Gregen
09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh ok, thats good to know, thanks.

almost all spells are available on scrolls from vendors (lvl 1-2 in market place tent, 3+ in houses or the portable hole).

Where is th market place tent?

Visty
09-20-2009, 12:23 PM
in the market place (obviously)

Vormaerin
09-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Considering the marketplace tent was destroyed over a year ago and doesn't exist any more, I hardly think its "obvious" where it is.

What he actually means is the collection of vendors that is in the center of the marketplace zone. Just go across the bridge straight out of the gate from the harbor. There are a bunch of vendors there, including scroll sellers.

Visty
09-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Considering the marketplace tent was destroyed over a year ago and doesn't exist any more, I hardly think its "obvious" where it is.

you maybe forgot that it got recreated in mod9, just a tick smaller

and why isnt it obviously that the "marketplace tent" is on the marketplace?

Solace183
09-20-2009, 03:00 PM
The translation of "+To Hit" and "+AC" In DDO may be a little easier to understand for a non-DnD player in % terms.

Since attacks are based on a D20, each point of +to hit translates directly into an additional 5% chance to hit.

While each point in increased AC translates into a 5% less chance to be hit.

Hopefully that helps put things into a more clear perspective.

Arianrhod
09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
The translation of "+To Hit" and "+AC" In DDO may be a little easier to understand for a non-DnD player in % terms.

Since attacks are based on a D20, each point of +to hit translates directly into an additional 5% chance to hit.

Well, that may be true at the lower levels, but at the higher levels, when bonuses exceed 20 (or even 40), it becomes more important to take the D20 into consideration. If a monster has +50 to hit you, raising your AC from 15 to 20 is not going to reduce your chance of being hit by 25% ;)

Thailand_Dan
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh ok, thats good to know, thanks.

Where is th market place tent?

If you are coming from the harbor, go straight over the bridge into the very center of the market place. You'll see "arcane scroll vendor - Level 1 (or 2)". Talk to these guys and you can pick up scrolls you want to inscribe. To get the inscription materials, talk to the "arcane regent vendor" and buy some. From here, you can inscribe your scrolls, and go into any bar to switch them out. Good luck.

Orratti
09-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Even if using finesse and a finessable weapon you are still going to do better using a shield for a few levels than using two weapons. I have well built rangers that did better in survivability by using sword and board than using two weapons and when you are soloing survivability is everything. If you want to give a cleric a headache feel free to go two weapon fighting for max damage while getting beat down. Of course there are ways to boost ac so you can twf without having any trouble with taking damage but for a new player the shield is the easiest solution.

Mercules
09-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I AM THE FPOON!!!

We attempt to give people the correct information when giving advice, since true advice is much more useful than false advice. The distinction between Light and Finessable is what will save someone from writing out a rant about how Rapiers are broken because that "light" weapon doesn't work in their off hand. Yes we have seen that post many times. :p

I usually just explain how To Hit and Armor Class work.

To hit a creature the game adds up all the positive and negative modifiers and that is your "To Hit". This number is added to a roll of 1-20 and compared to a creatures Armor Class. If that number meets or exceeds the creatures armor class you hit. 1's always miss(even if the AC is 15 and you have a +25 to hit) and 20's always hit(even if your To Hit is 0 and the creatures AC 300).

We can explain Criticals and the new Grazing system later. :)

creepy61
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I had heaps of problems on my Sorc yesterday in the first solo instance in The Harbor called Arachnophobia. I was using niac's ray and all i was getting is "Save" all the time. I had to leave dungeon 3 times as i wasting so much SP and Fine Sand on casting.

I think the slow attack graphics is interfering with casting and slowing casting down considerably triggering a SAVE call on the dice. Even the old wand was pathetic i was getting a miss all the time.

At the spider boss she was zerging all over the place. You attacked in one spot and she moves fast out of the way and attacks you. That means for one cast the target was getting 2 attack rolls. The timing is way out and thats why this game is now harder.

Arianrhod
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I had heaps of problems on my Sorc yesterday in the first solo instance in The Harbor called Arachnophobia. I was using niac's ray and all i was getting is "Save" all the time. I had to leave dungeon 3 times as i wasting so much SP and Fine Sand on casting.

I think the slow attack graphics is interfering with casting and slowing casting down considerably triggering a SAVE call on the dice. Even the old wand was pathetic i was getting a miss all the time.

At the spider boss she was zerging all over the place. You attacked in one spot and she moves fast out of the way and attacks you. That means for one cast the target was getting 2 attack rolls. The timing is way out and thats why this game is now harder.

Spiders have always been hard to hit with spells in this game. They jump around almost as much as kobolds. They also have the annoying feature of being immune to mind-affecting spells & web, which makes them hard to CC. For that particular quest I would recommend Mage Armor, Shield, and a melee weapon. If as a sorc you don't have these spells, well....hopefully you've got some mage armor potions. Even if not, you're probably still better off with melee weapons than spells, unless you approach the quest as a practice arena for learning how best to target jumpy-skittery things (hint - move backward while casting so the blasted critters stay in front of you)

lostkoss
09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Most new Wizards and Sorc's don't get this tip right away.

But,

Get a CROSSBOW.

Yeah you want to cast spells and make your enemies suffer your magical wrath.

But,

Oftentimes it is just plain easier to shoot em.

Orratti
09-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Niac's is notorious for being saved against. Usually it is a waste of spell points to cast.

Arnya
09-23-2009, 11:19 PM

The reason they saved is because you cast a spell that requires a reflex save, against a creature with high dexterity.

I really urge any new player to learn the mechanics governing this game - the D20 ruleset.

This isn't some mashed up MMO where stuff hurts other stuff and you automatically block X amount of damage - this game is build on mathematics.

www.d20srd.org

This is the best site to learn the core D&D rules. Things like some spells and abilities don't carry over to DDO well but the basics are all there.

asbrand
09-24-2009, 02:06 AM
I find it somewhat amusing that the game mechanics considers a rapier not to be a "light" weapon, but a short sword is. :eek::confused:

I wonder if the rule-creators ever actually picked up and/or used either one before?

A rapier is a *far* lighter, more well balanced weapon than a short sword.

:rolleyes:

Mercules
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM

But,

Get a CROSSBOW.

Yeah you want to cast spells and make your enemies suffer your magical wrath.

But,

Not really needed any longer with the Finger of Fire wand and Acid Splash wand. You get the first on Korthos and the second in Water Works. Between the two and you SPs you can deal a lot of damage between shrines. The wands even regenerate charges slowly so you can use one, then switch and use the other, then switch back to the first.

Mercules
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I find it somewhat amusing that the game mechanics considers a rapier not to be a "light" weapon, but a short sword is. :eek::confused:

I wonder if the rule-creators ever actually picked up and/or used either one before?

A rapier is a *far* lighter, more well balanced weapon than a short sword.

:rolleyes:

Um...

Rapier
"A typical example would weigh 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) and have a relatively long and slender blade of 2.5 centimetres (0.98 in) or less in width, 1 metre (39 in) or more in length and ending in a sharply pointed tip."

Gladius(Short Sword)
"Max weight ~1kg for the largest versions, most likely a standard example would weigh ~900g(wooden hilt)."

Most Gladius are lighter than that heavy example being around 700g.

If we really want to be nit-picky there is no such thing as a "Short Sword". There are swords of various lengths some being basically long daggers which are closest to what most people think of when they think Short Sword.

Orratti
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't believe the rapier is not considered light in off hand use because of its weight but because of its length. It requires more area to work with than a shortsword or dagger. In Europe the two weapon fighting style was rapier and dagger and in the dnd rules themselves it states that the offhand weapon must be SHORTER and lighter than the main hand weapon to get the full to hit benefits. Using two weapons the same size and weight nils the benefits although I'm not sure about daggers. An example is using dagger and handaxe both are light weapons but you have to make sure the heavier of the two is in your main hand or you lose to hit.

lostkoss
09-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Not really needed any longer with the Finger of Fire wand and Acid Splash wand. You get the first on Korthos and the second in Water Works. Between the two and you SPs you can deal a lot of damage between shrines. The wands even regenerate charges slowly so you can use one, then switch and use the other, then switch back to the first.

A +1 Shock or flaming heavy crossbow isn't very expensive. That is going to be equippable at level 2 and do way more damage than that little wand.

Even a regular light crossbow with lesser reptilian bane bolts +1 will do way more damage on all the kobolds in the harbor.

Its an easy way to help save up those spell points for when you really need em.

Mercules
09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
A +1 Shock or flaming heavy crossbow isn't very expensive. That is going to be equippable at level 2 and do way more damage than that little wand.

Even a regular light crossbow with lesser reptilian bane bolts +1 will do way more damage on all the kobolds in the harbor.

Its an easy way to help save up those spell points for when you really need em.

Sorry, but I believe you are incorrect.

That crossbow does more damage on a hit than the tiny damage the Fire Finger wand does but you are forgetting a few important things:

Those wands fire faster than a Crossbow, significantly faster at levels 1-4.
Wands autohit, Crossbow needs a To-hit roll
Crossbow locks you out of casting while reloading, wand does not while on a cool down timer
You can have the wand in your primary hand and a spell boosting item in your off hand, crossbow takes both hands so you have to switch items when wanting to cast

Add these up and I think you will find that a Wand is going to be a lot more convenient in those levels and won't get a Wiz/Sorc thinking they will be able to hit anything with a Crossbow in later levels(since they won't except on 20s).

lostkoss
09-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry, but I believe you are incorrect.

That crossbow does more damage on a hit than the tiny damage the Fire Finger wand does but you are forgetting a few important things:

Those wands fire faster than a Crossbow, significantly faster at levels 1-4.
Wands autohit, Crossbow needs a To-hit roll
Crossbow locks you out of casting while reloading, wand does not while on a cool down timer
You can have the wand in your primary hand and a spell boosting item in your off hand, crossbow takes both hands so you have to switch items when wanting to cast

Add these up and I think you will find that a Wand is going to be a lot more convenient in those levels and won't get a Wiz/Sorc thinking they will be able to hit anything with a Crossbow in later levels(since they won't except on 20s).

I'll take insta killing things at draw range with proper weapon or ammo at low levels over the wands 1d3 (+1 per level max 5) with a total damage potential of 8.

But to each his own. Like you said, they both become kinda pointless once you get past level 5 or so.

Its just a tip for new players. Ya dig.

Angelus_dead
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Get a CROSSBOW.
Yes, it may frequently be better to use a weapon at low levels, but a crossbow isn't the right choice for that. A quarterstaff or greataxe would be better, depending on if you know Master's Touch.

Melee weapons have a serious speed advantage over ranged.

spyyder976
09-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I didn't read all these posts, just the miss miss miss op, and to boost your attack, besides switching to one weapon or at least a light off-hand weapon, do you have on your +1 attack goggles from korthos or have your set items equipped if you have one that gives attack bonus? using bless or aid for an extra +1 (also clickies from korthos), and are you remembering to use your attack boost enhancements (if you got them, which i hope you did); several things you can do to boost your attack roll to hit easier; hope you get it worked out.

Thrudh
09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Niac's is notorious for being saved against. Usually it is a waste of spell points to cast.

Niac's is a reflex save... Things like spiders have good reflex saves (i.e. 8 legs). Things like hobgoblin fighters and casters have bad reflex saves... Niacs work great against them.

Enemy casters will generally have poor reflex saves, high will saves, poor fortitude saves
Enemy fighters will generally have poor reflex saves, poor will saves, high fortitude saves
Enemy rogue types will generall have high reflex saves, poor will saves, poor fortitude saves

You gotta tailor your spell to your opponent. Niacs is great against many critters. Spiders is not one of them (use magic missile instead, or just your quarterstaff)