PDA

View Full Version : Let my.ddo be my decision

Talrikira
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
This is my first post as I'm more of a lurker, but I feel strongly enough that I felt I had to voice my opinion.

Maybe it's just because I'm an older player, but I'm not one to have all kinds of personal information about myself "out there" on various internet sites. I realize my characters are not the same thing as they're not owned by me (but I do think of it as having a long-term lease) and not RL personal info, but still, they are personal to me as I've put my time, energy, and virtual sweat and blood into them.

I play for my own enjoyment and rarely worry about optimal stats, skills or equipment. I've been in other games where, for instance, I've chosen to use a particular weapon as a tribute to my character's deity. I can't even count the number of people who tried to "help" me by pointing out that another weapon was "better" for my character and I was stupid if I didn't take advantage of that. Knowing that I got that much grief from something so obvious as my weapon of choice, I can only imagine the potential with people being able to examine everything I've got equipped.

From a RP perspective it makes no sense whatsoever. I played PnP for years and until my character got to know them (and trust them... some she may not have), other characters didn't know all of my items or all of my potential. Of course the players knew, but they were my friends and I chose to share the information with them. In my opinion my.ddo should be the same - there should be a way for me to share the information with those I choose (my friends, another option for my guild mates) but I should not have to allow some stranger to scrutinize my items, my quest log, my stats... my very being.

Please reconsider this and allow us to make the choice.

dread333
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
This is my first post as I'm more of a lurker, but I feel strongly enough that I felt I had to voice my opinion.

Maybe it's just because I'm an older player, but I'm not one to have all kinds of personal information about myself "out there" on various internet sites. I realize my characters are not the same thing as they're not owned by me (but I do think of it as having a long-term lease) and not RL personal info, but still, they are personal to me as I've put my time, energy, and virtual sweat and blood into them.

I play for my own enjoyment and rarely worry about optimal stats, skills or equipment. I've been in other games where, for instance, I've chosen to use a particular weapon as a tribute to my character's deity. I can't even count the number of people who tried to "help" me by pointing out that another weapon was "better" for my character and I was stupid if I didn't take advantage of that. Knowing that I got that much grief from something so obvious as my weapon of choice, I can only imagine the potential with people being able to examine everything I've got equipped.

From a RP perspective it makes no sense whatsoever. I played PnP for years and until my character got to know them (and trust them... some she may not have), other characters didn't know all of my items or all of my potential. Of course the players knew, but they were my friends and I chose to share the information with them. In my opinion my.ddo should be the same - there should be a way for me to share the information with those I choose (my friends, another option for my guild mates) but I should not have to allow some stranger to scrutinize my items, my quest log, my stats... my very being.

Please reconsider this and allow us to make the choice.

/signed

clanqui
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
/signed. Especially having an anonymous setting and ignoring it is pretty absurd.

Fenrisulven6
03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
/signed

I especially have issue with the timestamps showing when I play.

If thats something anyone can see, then I'll have to stop playing.

WolfFarmer
03-19-2010, 05:52 PM
/Signed

I fully agree. We should be able to allow who sees what, both about Us, and our characters.

AZgreentea
03-19-2010, 06:05 PM
/undecided

I mind and I dont mind myddo. On the one hand, I have nothing to hide and maybe players can give me some advice. I dont mind so much showing everyone what I have or having a page where they can find out more about me if they wish (and if I wish to share).

On the other hand, the odds are if I was going to get rejected for a PUG, I would be rejected without being told the reason or asked about my equipment. Plus, it dosent list the lvl I last completed a quest at, so it looks silly sometimes when you look at my completion list.

Dark_Helmet
03-20-2010, 06:47 PM
/SIGNED and +1 rep.

I posted how I hate that information is provided in myDDO.

RANT: It seems like anyone providing a service automatically opts you in on griefing tools then "oops, well you can always opt-out", then "Oops, you can sort of opt-out". I just wish when there is a tool that is not inside the game that you give us, the users, the option to use the tool (opt-in).
They did the same thing within the game when they made the interface like other games and then gave us an opt-out (and it didn't work as an opt-out!) If I wanted my interface like those games, I would play those games. Give us a break and let us decide!

Mantra for developers:
opt-in...opt-in...opt-in...

WolfFarmer
03-22-2010, 04:05 AM
/SIGNED and +1 rep.

I posted how I hate that information is provided in myDDO.

RANT: It seems like anyone providing a service automatically opts you in on griefing tools then "oops, well you can always opt-out", then "Oops, you can sort of opt-out". I just wish when there is a tool that is not inside the game that you give us, the users, the option to use the tool (opt-in).
They did the same thing within the game when they made the interface like other games and then gave us an opt-out (and it didn't work as an opt-out!) If I wanted my interface like those games, I would play those games. Give us a break and let us decide!
Again I agree, I have characters that are used only for Guild Bank Item Storage, for our members. No one even needs to know that they exist, let alone their name or other info. and now my

Rant: VIP Customer Service = Full Support, NOT it = 0 Support.

InGame check your Guilds Member List, then goto my.ddo.com and look at your Guilds Member List there. They will not match, the one at myddo contains every member that has ever joined your guild. It does not match the InGame Data, and I fear that the Character Info may be the same. If it is correct at myddo then I am impressed. But also annoyed, because if the Character Info can be the same in the Game Database and the myddo database, why can not the Guild Members List be the same?

Blessed Be,
WolfFarmer
also Rep+1 as is our duty ;)