PDA

View Full Version : Please allow VIPs to buy Adventure Packs

KKDragonLord
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I would like to have the same freedom to buy adventure packs as F2Ps so i can take advantage of these weekend sale deals that make me want to buy packs i never considered buying before...

Not being able to buy adventure packs as a VIP feels like the "complete freedom to decide how to pay for content" is not as Unlimited as it sounds

Cleitanious
09-18-2009, 08:24 PM
These posts are already in every other topic on the forum. The answer is "no"

KKDragonLord
09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Very helpful... and i thought this was the place to talk about the store.

The official answer? can i get a link please?

Cleitanious
09-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Use the dev tracker at the top of the website to find all of the Dev's forum posts. They answered this question at least 7 times in the past few days.

Cleitanious
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Actually, I can't find those posts in the Dev Tracker anymore...

KKDragonLord
09-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Interesting.

Cleitanious
09-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not being an ass. I've seen this brought up in more than one topic with a developer/CSR response saying they won't do it. Maybe they'll make another post in this one....

Half of the Turbine reps aren't developers, so their posts aren't included in the dev tracker. x_x

KKDragonLord
09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Well i am sorry if missed all that talk and only looked for it here before posting yet another one, but at least theres a thread about this in the place people will come to look for it.

What i am really sry about though is that i'll have to wait until my sub expires before spending my TPs.

Cleitanious
09-18-2009, 09:14 PM
I did kinda wish you could do it, but it was explained by the official poster they have a "no rain check policy" on sales.

Furluge
09-19-2009, 12:55 AM
I hate to say it, but it's obviously a plan to make it so VIPs don't use their 500 point/month Turbine Point stipend to slowly purchase adventure packs and then drop their subscription once they have enough to satisfy their desire for adventures. So, just a ploy to keep you locked into the subscription once they get you in that price model. :(

Kiraxa
09-19-2009, 04:19 AM
I hate to say it, but it's obviously a plan to make it so VIPs don't use their 500 point/month Turbine Point stipend to slowly purchase adventure packs and then drop their subscription once they have enough to satisfy their desire for adventures. So, just a ploy to keep you locked into the subscription once they get you in that price model. :(

Bingo. Turbine is scared of the upcoming NWN mmo, and is trying to lock people into subscription fees while they can, using a deceptive "FREE, NO CHARGES!" campaign, but locking over 70% of the game away to so called "Free" players.

Cleitanious
09-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Nwn Mmo?

Kiraxa
09-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Nwn Mmo?

Cryptic is developing a Neverwinter Nights MMO, with Atari as the publisher. Turbine got butthurt about this and is suing Atari since Atari is also their publisher. Turbine is trying everything they can to prevent another D&D based MMO from coming out, (and heres my opinion) because they know ANYONE with a brain can at least provide better customer support than them. 4 hours a day support number? Reallllly? I know you're going broke Turbine, but a work day in the US is EIGHT hours not 4. And lets not get started on their email queues. I know a company with ONE support technician and similar player base to DDO that clears their support queue on 1-3 day delay. And does it well, not with form letters. Turbine is seriously reminding me of Failship studios with their recent moves.

Cleitanious
09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
As much as I would love a NWN MMO, I must say...

Turbine is a small company, not an incompetent one.

Kiraxa
09-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Turbine is a small company, not an incompetent one.
... Really? Could have fooled me.

Uska
09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Bingo. Turbine is scared of the upcoming NWN mmo, and is trying to lock people into subscription fees while they can, using a deceptive "FREE, NO CHARGES!" campaign, but locking over 70% of the game away to so called "Free" players.

Well that maybe true but even if this games closes I wont be playing that one as for me it has three strikes against it so its out.

1. Atari

2. Cryptic

3. the better they were forgotten realms.

Uska
09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
... Really? Could have fooled me.

Hmm why are yiou here then

Kiraxa
09-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Hmm why are yiou here then

Boredom. And hey. As incompetent as turbine is, they're still better at making a playable game than blizzard. Though the attack speed **** they just pulled brings that into question.

Uska
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Boredom. And hey. As incompetent as turbine is, they're still better at making a playable game than blizzard. Though the attack speed **** they just pulled brings that into question.
Hmm I can agree with part of this

Paxtor
09-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Blizzard's bank account questions your claim.

Anyway, a great solution to not being able to buy adventure packs on a VIP account is to stop paying for a VIP account.

Cleitanious
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I didn't know a larger bank account actually made the game more fun to play.

Paxtor
09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I didn't know a larger bank account actually made the game more fun to play.

It does! Not only is it indicative of a popular game that people like to play, but you can also hire better customer support and a larger staff to work on new content. It also attracts the best artists and designers in the industry, since you can afford them, as well as allowing you to treat those employees with more benefits (which in turn helps morale and productivity). Something as large as an MMO can't run off peanuts.

Cleitanious
09-21-2009, 11:42 AM
So Blizzard has good customer support?
... Blizzard has a large staff working on new content?
... Artists? I mean, seriously?

Blizzard's MMO has the slowest new content turn out of any MMO I've played, and I played WoW since it's release... their GMs are as just as foreign and ignorant as most customer support teams I've dealt with (Out sourcing, anyone?) and don't get me started on the "art". I don't really hate the style too much, but the textures are blurry, low resolution the models are low poly and severely lacking detail. Plus, all of their awesome music is done by 3rd party musicians.

Take a quick look at Bethesda. The small time developer of the Elder Scrolls Series. Every play Morrowind? That's art, style and dedication on the part of the developers.

Paxtor
09-21-2009, 11:45 AM
So Blizzard has good customer support?
... Blizzard has a large staff working on new content?
... Artists? I mean, seriously?

Blizzard's MMO has the slowest new content turn out of any MMO I've played, and I played WoW since it's release... their GMs are as just as foreign and ignorant as most customer support teams I've dealt with (Out sourcing, anyone?) and don't get me started on the "art". I don't really hate the style too much, but the textures are blurry, low resolution the models are low poly and severely lacking detail. Plus, all of their awesome music is done by 3rd party musicians.

Take a quick look at Bethesda. The small time developer of the Elder Scrolls Series. Every play Morrowind? That's art, style and dedication on the part of the developers.

I'd love to enter a ****ing contest with you, but it's really not worth it if you have no clue about what you're talking about. You hate Blizzard because they make a lot of money on a successful product. I got it.

-Tetsuo-
09-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Cryptic is making a D&D game? That should be..... interesting.

sonicchill
09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I personally like D&D and WoW can goto hell. But I am definitely interested in Neverwinter Night MMO. But it's still further out. Until then I think I'll enjoy this one.

Praleon
09-26-2009, 02:00 AM
Blizzard's bank account questions your claim.

Anyway, a great solution to not being able to buy adventure packs on a VIP account is to stop paying for a VIP account.

Blizzard made some awesome games... really high quality ones... Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, etc... they even made some pretty cool console games...

Here are a couple facts about WOW that generally get left out by people in these conversations:
1) At the time of its release, it was the only MMO to be released by a publisher with multiple largely successful titles already produced.
2) Blizzard ran multiple ad campaigns (some viral) throughout the internet and tech conferences to garner attention for the game...
3) Blizzard/warcraft had a large, active fan base before the game was launched. No other MMO has had that besides Warhammer Online, and the fanbase of Warhammer is not solely computer-player like the fanbase of Warcraft was.
4) Blizzard had more startup capital with which to build, promote, and continue developing their game than any other MMO at the time, and currently.

These facts are why WOW has done well. It's not because it's a "good" game. The game is passable, but as someone with multiple level 50+ characters, I have to say that in terms of MMO experience, it is ABSOLUTELY AVERAGE in qualitative comparison against other MMOs.

WOW's strong points are:
1) User interface - it is still #1 in these respects.
2) PVE content - the raid content and overworld content is solid and was strong when it was released.
3) Community - The game is large enough that everyone knows it, and this makes playing the game more fun and acceptable.
4) Ease of play - The game is extremely simple to learn and play. Your girlfriend and kids might play with you.

WOW's weak points are:
1) Complete lack of meaningful PVP (DDO shares this one). Though PVP shouldn't necessarily be the sole focus of an MMO, none whatsoever leaves you battling mob AI forever, and is really, really dry after you've played enough MMOs.

2) Zero sandbox factor. There is no concept of emergence like you might find in EVE or other sandbox-like games. DDO also shares this problem. Simply put, your actions don't affect other players beyond the few you group with and the few you sell items to in WOW and DDO.

3) Gameplay - "Press 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 5, 3" each time you are in a fight. Your position relative to the enemy probably doesn't matter, your position relative to your friends probably doesn't matter. Movement during combat against mobs is generally 100% useless. With almost every class, you simply stand and click or press buttons until a whole camp is dead. There is nearly no danger in WOW. Every threat is easily dispatched, and every planned challenge will simply result in a quick google search and youtube viewing to overcome, or bring more people. No lethality = borefest. DDO excels here. You can block doorways, move to interject yourself between a helpless ally and a monster, dive into water to escape, hide behind crates to limit the number of monsters that can reach you, sneak attack, flank, and more. Combat is more than everyone assist steve and start pressing buttons. There is a sense of intensity, danger, etc. Oh, and DDO kicks your ass. This makes it more fun.

4) Content - WOW is silly, super-high fantasy, comic-book-like in nature, cartoony in content. It is filled with goofy movie, comic, game, pop culture, and cartoon references. The jokes are terrible, and the in-game graphics are so stylistically overdone that their quality (well done) is lost. It is not really for serious types or fantasy enthusiasts, and due to the nature of its art, tends to attract younger players in volumes. Coupled with the ease of play, this can be annoying.

5) Questing System - Now everything copies this, but it's the weakest part of the game. "Go kill X, Y or Z, and bring me # of C's from them" "thanks, here's some XP, now go kill 14 A's, 10 B's, and 11 C's" ... for months you will do little other than this, and call it a good game?

6) Skill Tree - It has a skill "tree". For one, the things you spend points on, 90% of the time in WOW, literally just say "Your ability X does Y% more damage" or something similar to that, that scales, as you spend your levels on them. New abilities gained from the tree are usually just re-graphic-ed other skills with new multipliers or maybe an effect that slows or stuns a mob, or does an additional 20% of damage if the mob is "immolated". Looking down the trees is depressing for most of the classes I've played, and ultimately results in "Pick one tree" - Level 80 - "Congratulations, your character, in tier 8 gear, is EXACTLY the same as most other characters of your class, except for the 6 guys ever who used one of the other paths."

7) Character customization - See 6. Also, no armor dye, and essentially 100% class-based armors and gears? Pretty bad here. DDO isn't too much better in these respects, but, at least most characters use different gear based on feat selections and things other than class.

8) Grind - Worst. Grind. Ever. Not getting to 80. 80 is the beginning. It is a terrible beginning. The game asks you to forego a social life completely in order to collect your tier X gear. Why? So you can have tier X gear and start getting tier X+1 gear. Nope. There's no "doing it at your own pace" either, since you need to raid, and raid frequently to get this stuff. You'll be on "nerd herd" schedule... which means Saturday night movies with friends might have to be canceled so you can get your epic boots of lifelessness for your lvl 80 Troll Shaman. Thanks for the irresponsible game design decisions, Blizzard... I'm sure you've been the influencing factor in more than a few failed tests and lost jobs at this point ;).

I say all of this as an avid Starcraft fanboy, and someone who really generally likes Blizzard as a company. You can't consider WOW the best MMO if you use any other metric besides Ease of Play and Number of Subscribers. All other metrics result in other games. Best PVP? Not WOW. Best PVE? Not WOW. Most mature playerbase? Not WOW. Best game mechanics? Definitely not WOW. Best Quests? Not WOW. etc etc etc.

If you want a list of MMOs that are better than WOW, it would be impossible for me to make one seasoned to your taste, but, I don't take "Blizzard's bank account" as proof that a product is of higher quality than others. The market is not decided on quality, as advertisement and public relations are generally larger factors in the adoption of video games than the quality. WOW is a perfect example of this. A Behemoth company releases an MMO and it becomes a behemoth. Of course.

My personal list of favorite MMOs would go like this:
1) Dark Age of Camelot (Deprecated) - Without question, it has not aged well and has been destroyed by Mythic, but, it WAS the best.
2) EVE Online - It's incredible, but the grind is a real-time grind, and I'm not paying for 2 years of service before I can start doing what I really would like to do in game, I've already paid for 1.5 years and become a billionaire... but, the game is awesome, and if you're patient and have the money, passing it up is just foolish (unless you don't like Sci-Fi).
3) DDO - Dungeons and Dragons online is an awesome game that defies the genre. It lacks popularity for the same reasons pen and paper lacks popularity... it's a bit complex. Plus, the graphic style is a little odd. Everything's golden-brown. I never really understood this, but even the box of the game has a "not really D&D" kind of "golden brown-ness" to it. I think that turned a lot of people off before they even tried it... plus it came out when WOW was kicking the absolute most ass.

WOW is cool if you have kids or are in high school and 19 of your friends play it.

Long story short/TLDR: WOW is the bottom of the list of "playable" MMOs to people who have actually played and gotten to the top level of other MMOs. There are tons of really crappy MMOs out there (age of conan, anyone?) but I am not counting those as "playable". Right below WOW starts the list of Free MMOs like Mabinogi and such. Good, for the price... but I've quit all of those for DDO Unlimited.

Praleon
09-26-2009, 02:23 AM
It does! Not only is it indicative of a popular game that people like to play, but you can also hire better customer support and a larger staff to work on new content. It also attracts the best artists and designers in the industry, since you can afford them, as well as allowing you to treat those employees with more benefits (which in turn helps morale and productivity). Something as large as an MMO can't run off peanuts.

This mentality is one of the biggest problems with the world today. The hard work and highest quality product of people without the bigger wallet gets brushed aside by the over-popularized crapfest that is WOW.

Game popularity indicates this about gameplay: The game is not so terrible that people reject it.
Game popularity also indicates this: Advertising budget.

It does not mean the game is "good", "excellent", or "top of its genre". There are a whole, whole lot of really, really awesome games out there that never saw much attention. If you played more than 4 games in your lifetime, you'd know this.

It's the same about movies...

You probably think the best movies are always the ones that top the box office.

You're dead wrong.

SOMETIMES the best movies top the box office... but if all you watch are the popular ones, you'd never know what you were missing.

SOMETIMES bad movies top the box office.

Truth be told, WOW is somewhere in the middle of games that topped the box office. Not horrid. Not excellent. A really well advertised mediocre game with a really big budget, directed by a really popular team.

Quentin Tarantino can put any movie in the theater he wants and it will earn more money than a movie by Todd Solondz... by factors of 50-100... this is even if Tarantino makes a bad movie on purpose vs. Solondz best work.

Blizzard = Tarantino level of popularity.
DDO = Solondz level of popularity.

Also, from a logical standpoint, the argument would go something like this:
Is it possible to create the most fun game playable by man, and sell zero copies of it? The answer is yes.
Is it possible to create a bad game and sell one copy of it? The answer is yes.
Thus, a measure of the quality of a game cannot be ascertained by merit of sales, and thus, popularity.

I dunno how many other ways to slice it up for you. Stop posting about how "popular" a game is as proof of its inherent quality. It's a pretty ignorant concept, and it proves that you haven't played many games (or that your taste is awful).

Halock
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd love to enter a ****ing contest with you, but it's really not worth it if you have no clue about what you're talking about. You hate Blizzard because they make a lot of money on a successful product. I got it.

Think you got it. People always like to bash the people on top :)

I dunno how many other ways to slice it up for you. Stop posting about how "popular" a game is as proof of its inherent quality. It's a pretty ignorant concept, and it proves that you haven't played many games (or that your taste is awful).

The point of an mmo is to be popular, which makes the people producing it money, saying there's any other way to judge a game is an ignorant concept.

Cleitanious
09-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Think you got it. People always like to bash the people on top :)

The point of an mmo is to be popular, which makes the people producing it money, saying there's any other way to judge a game is an ignorant concept.

The point of an MMO from the players viewpoint is not to "be popular". The point of an MMO from the player's perspective is to "have fun" though this concept is foreign to some people. The Point of any product from a producer's viewpoint is to "make money". WoW may be "more popular" and therefor make more money, but that is completely unrelated to how much fun it is and how much better it is in the player's perspective.

Nike's shoes are the most popular, but they are far from the best.