PDA

View Full Version : Tomes? WHere to get them?

eughz123
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi, really new to DDO here, really need to know how and where can get +2 Int tomes? Do i really need to trade or buy from another guy?

kaelis
09-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Until you reach high level yes. They drop as loot in high level chests (17+), or as raid items in various raids (vons,dq,titan)

Thailand_Dan
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
If you are really new, you wont be able to afford them. They run around 2 million gold or 200k plat for the most part. They drop in raid chests, usually, or occasionally in high level chests. If you are looking for it to improve a stat, I would tell you to not worry about it. It doesn't make that much difference to your character. Often builds will throw a +2 tome in every stat, just to max what that build can do. It doesn't mean you cannot follow the build without having that +2 tome. The one exception would be where certain feats require a certain stat score (ie TWF, certain multi-class builds, etc.).

enochiancub
09-18-2009, 09:02 PM
If you're really new, you simply do not need one right now. I strongly advise against wasting your precious money on them at this point. Wait until much later.

That said, they drop in high level raids or you can go buy one from the AH at a huge mark up*.

*Not so much a mark up as they're just friggen pricey.

Femanon
09-19-2009, 01:14 AM
thats WAY too much!,

can you even get a +5 variation? even they arent worth 200k gold.

40 times the asking price is a mark up

SquelchHU
09-19-2009, 04:44 AM
I don't think tomes are higher than +4. And it isn't really a markup so much as different pricing... it's not too unusual to have a million gold by level 12 or so. If a +5 tome were only about a eighth that amount, it would be too easy to max out your gear. Though the AH prices are crazy, it's not because they aren't charging 13.75k plat for a +5 tome.

Junts
09-19-2009, 05:10 AM
thats WAY too much!,

can you even get a +5 variation? even they arent worth 200k gold.

40 times the asking price is a mark up

The displayed value on tomes is misleading; only +1 and +2 tomes drop that are tradable, so +2 tomes are the best available for twinking new characters. For this reason, they are a medium-level method of currency (for perspective, 250,000 gold is ..a pittance, not a lot, its less than high-level players spend in one raid in consumables, and also less tahn they make in loot value from a raid).

+1 tomes are pretty cheap, whereas +2s have a relative premium but a general trade value of around 300-500k platinum (thats 3-5 million gold) depending on type and buyer. This is not something you can achieve at low levels, but it's also not something that's that hard to achieve at higher levels; a single run of the shroud raid will net a profit of roughly 60k-70k platinum pieces, more with good luck on pulls, and the raid has 12 chests which can drop +2 tomes on their own.

+3 and +4 tomes are only available in bound raid loot, and prices of enormous number have been occaisionally paid by one player to another to pass such loot in the chest so that it may be taken by someone in need. There is no real way to assess a value on such items, but it is worth understanding that +3 tomes in the primary stat of your class is frequently harder to obtain than any specific item in the game, and a vast majority of characters do not have them

+4 tomes only drop from the game's newest raid, which has existed less than 3 weeks; only one to date has been verified as having been acquired so far, bound again, and should generally be regarded as essentially priceless.

Arianrhod
09-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Tomes are worth that much because people will pay that much for them. Money in this game is very skewed - at lower levels, everything feels outrageously expensive, and you see a lot of complaints about the ridiculously high prices on the auction house. However, once you start selling vendor trash for 10s of thousands of gold, you start to realize those prices weren't so absurd after all - they're just aimed at a higher level market.

That said, until you get to the point where you have more money than you know what to do with, there's just no reason to ever buy tomes. It used to be worthwhile occasionally to save up for an INT tome to use on a brand-new character, for more skill points, but now tomes have level minimums, so even that isn't a viable option anymore. Basically, wait till you start looting tomes, then use what you want, and sell what you don't - but don't expect anyone to buy them if the price is over the top ;)

eughz123
09-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow, thanks for the great responses!! It's really helpful and i'm glad i came to the right place to post my query.. Thanks soo much again :D