PDA

View Full Version : Human Rogue/Ranger build help

Netjack
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Ah, I see I posted this in the wrong place originally. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=201095

Anyway, so I decided on rogue/ ranger 6, I'm not to sure if I'll go any more in rogue, or switch up in to some fighter. Probably not though as I'm having trouble with skills already. Since I barely got all the skills I wanted. I did this mostly for the extra feats, but now I do not know each feats i might want :p .

Dodge, mobility, spring attack, weapon finesse. 6 levels of ranger will give me the two weapon fighting feats, along with many shot and Diehard. I'm doing this for Tempest.

So far though, I know Balance, Tumble, and UMD will suffer because of my ranger levels, since UMD is such a great skill "since wands are very nice."

28 point buy

Str 12
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 8

I was thinking of making Wisdom also a dumb stat, but ranger spells can be fun.....

Would Luck of the heroes be a good level 1 feat?

Is the Hide and move silently skills actually worth anything in this game? I hear you ether go all the way, or don't bother, and even then, there are issues. Is jump worth anything in this game? I find it fun, but I hear you will rarely need it.

I'm going for a balance between tank and dps. Unless everyone suggest its not worth being the middle.

should I waste skill points in cross class skill for UMD?

Suggestions?

Djeserit
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Not sure I understand, are you going for ranger with a rogue splash or rogue with a deep ranger splash.

The following are popular:

Rogue 13/ Ranger 6/ Monk 1 (for ac and saves)
Rogue 13/ Ranager 6/ Barbarian 1 (for speed, DPS and some HP)

or

Ranger 18/Rogue 1/Monk1 (for AC)

Most people don't seem to think a fighter splash is worth it, but as long as you end with Ranger 18 I think it would be viable.

Splashing Monk constrains you alignment and WIS would not be a dump stat.

The feats you want are:

Dodge, mobility, spring attack - for tempest
Improved Critical, Power Attack, Exotic Weapon: Khopesh - for DPS

This leaves two more feats, and opinions will vary by player preference.
Probably Toughness for durability
Optional: stunning blow, improved critical: ranged

Your other questions:

Would Luck of the heroes be a good level 1 feat? - most would say not

Is the Hide and move silently skills actually worth anything in this game? I hear you ether go all the way, or don't bother, and even then, there are issues. - hide/move silently costs 2 points/level to keep up and is pretty much useless

Is jump worth anything in this game? I find it fun, but I hear you will rarely need it. - just a few points is fine. You can always pop on a jump item and a jump potion if needed, but usually there is a wizard around who has nothing better to do than give you a jump boost.

I'm going for a balance between tank and dps. Unless everyone suggest its not worth being the middle. - as a new player you will really have to grind for a high AC. As a ranger you won't have really high HP, and rogue levels will make it worse. You will have intimidate as a class skill, but will you have the points to keep it up? I say just go DPS on your first build.

should I waste skill points in cross class skill for UMD? - The short answer is I think UMD is good for a new player, after you have all the right gear you wouldn't need it. But you might have to play for a year or two to have all the right gear.

Hope this helps.

Netjack
09-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Ah thank you for that. If this was a 32 point character that I could invest some tomes in "not that I know much about but I hear that's very popular" i would do the monk splash, but I will go with your suggested 1 level of barbarian.

Also, whats a Khopesh?

I am going primarily rogue.

They should actually just merge hide and move silently into a "stealth" skill, as well as disable device and open lock into just "disable device", the actual D&D rule compendium suggest that "the disable device one".

Anyway, I'm also curious as to why hide and move silently are not worth taking in this game.

Djeserit
09-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Khopesh - is an exotic weapon. You need a feat to use it with proficiency. It is the best weapon type to use against most creatures. This is because it has a good critical range (crit on a 19-20 or 17-20 with Improved Critical: slashing) and a good critical multipier (x3). Take a careful look at these numbers and you will see no other weapon measures up.

Three Main Exceptions:
Some monsters are immune to criticals, like undead and constructs. Against those types you don't care about the crit numbers and just want a weapon with a high base damage like Dwarven Axe or Bastard sword.
Sometimes you are hitting for a weapon effect, like trying to smite a construct. You use a special magical smiting weapon to instantly kill the construct (subject to a saving throw). You need a critical and don't care about the damage. So you want a high crit range and don't care about the damage multiple. The weapon of choice would be a scimitar of smiting, because with IC: slashing you would crit on 15-20. (You would prefer a Khopesh most of the time because a scimitar is only x2 damage when you crit; even with a lot of crits it doesn't add up against the Khopesh).
Some monsters have damage resistance against slashing, but not blunt or piercing, so switch to a blunt or piercing weapon against those.

Djeserit
09-18-2009, 05:52 PM
IMO, Stealth is worthless because the quest designers have ignored it.

They want to make quests that any group can do, they don't want you to need a rogue. They have made three quests that have multiple solutions: teh brute path and the stealth path. I love those, but they don't seem to want to have more than one way to solve a quest. Usually if they see players doing something unexpected to beat a quest they call it exploiting. I really don't understand the attitude, but it is what it is.

Netjack
09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
IMO, Stealth is worthless because the quest designers have ignored it.

They want to make quests that any group can do, they don't want you to need a rogue. They have made three quests that have multiple solutions: teh brute path and the stealth path. I love those, but they don't seem to want to have more than one way to solve a quest. Usually if they see players doing something unexpected to beat a quest they call it exploiting. I really don't understand the attitude, but it is what it is.

Bah, that horrible, my favorite skill as a rogue are always the stealth ones, Slight of hand, hide, move silently, why would they do that? :(

hmm, Khopesh 1d8 x3 with good crit range?? Indeed that is a powerful weapon.

However, would a rapier dagger combo, using the same feat for improve crit piercing not also combine pretty good? As well as Weapon Finesse for those two. Granted 24 max crit damage, as oppose to the rapier max of 12 and the dagger max of 8, and that's two different rolls, does indeed shame them, but the accuracy they would gain from weapon finesse would surely make up for it? Since damage doesn't mean a thing if you cant hit it.

"It also doesn't mean a thing if you can't get by the damage reduction too :( ." and like you mention, more damage is desired in the situation above.

That's just what I am contemplating right now. Since that Khopesh does indeed seem like a very nice weapon. Of course, I'm not sure if you can use weapon finesse for the Khopesh. If you can, then yes, use the damn thing I will :p .

One more thing I remembered, what are some good favorite enemies in DDO. Every DnD base game has their own best races to pick from. Although you can never go wrong with undead or dragons. Since your bound to fight dragons at some point in this game. Perhaps inside of a dungeon even :p .