PDA

View Full Version : XP/Loot Potion Petition

Yavool
09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Greetings all,

I would like to make a recommendation that the store-bought timer-based potions (in this case +xp/+loot) be switched to "in quest/explorer only."

There are numerous reasons for this, but the meat and potatoes of it for me is that in Stormreach, there are more things to do than just quest. It is a social place, with many individuals to talk to (guild, friends) and the opportunity for adventurers to tell tales is never absent. Furthermore, there are excellent pawn brokers and auction house locations for those who are frugal, thrifty, or opportunistic in their monetary endeavors. As we do these things, our timers are tick-ticking away, effectively meaning that either our hard-earned dollar (in r.l.) or our quest efforts are slowly going down the drain like a leaky plug in the bathtub.

A stand for having these potions pause when out of quests and only work when in an actual area where mobs/chests are present and xp is to be had is a stand by Turbine for the encouragement to see DDO as a more well-rounded place: not simply a "quest-quest-quest" environment, but rather a place that has a more comprehensive feel.

Sincerely,

-Yav

Vivanto
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
It is a good suggestion, I like it, but has 2 problems.

1 - makes sense, turbine dosen't do things that make sense, just look at grazing hits, da, new combat system

2 - it could potentially lead to less $$ for turbine

Tarrant
09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

I've moved this to the DDO Store Feedback (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234) forum so it gets more visibility.

Garth_of_Sarlona
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I used a few XP potions when soloing my fvs earlier in the game (levels 1-9) - I didn't think it was ever worth it drinking them when pugging or grouping because, as you say, the time spent waiting around for a group to form.

I have to say, having an XP potion ticking down gives a certain 'urgency' to playing DDO - you're desperately trying to complete as many quests as possible in the shortest time in order to maximize the benefit. It was almost relaxing for it to finally run out and then I could take my time and enjoy the scenery again :)

Garth

Borror0
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I raised that problem in beta:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=185410

Personally, making the XP a "you gain double XP for Y much XP" like rest XP is in LOTRO would be the best way to change the potions.

RTN
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I like the idea that the timer only goes down while in a quest or wilderness area.

Zenako
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Is the time clock time or in game time?

I ask because I learned that for normal Hirelings (I don't use them much but was running low level Necro quest the other night), that if they have unused time, on them when you log off, they pick up with remaining time left when you log back in. So I had like 18 minutes left on my lever flipper. Fired up another quest, and recalled the dude to mainly just stand around or be a punching bag while my rogue backstabbed.

IF the EXP pots only time out base on ingame time for the character who drank it, then you could just log that toon off while shopping, and then switch back when questing. A minor pain, but would address the issue for now. (I know my main shopper hardly quests these days (I should cap him again for some more haggle points I quess.)

Borror0
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
In-game time.

The_Phenx
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
/signed In quest area only tick down would be MUCH better....

Silly to watch guildies switch to toons without potions going to converse and say hello

Maxelcat
09-18-2009, 12:25 PM
+1 REP

/Signed!!!!

I was just thinking about it last night, after standing around waiting for everyone to get to the dungeon entrance.

the Time limit kinda leans towards just driving dungeons endlessly, not the exploration or social aspect of the game.

Id like to see a 1 hour x20% XP pot. then I can drink one going in (or top up in the middle), and don't have to worry about the timer while I'm out banking or repairing.

cwfergtx
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I have used the loot potion on a few of my toons both mid and high level toons and the loot is the same as if I not drank the potion. I can not see very much change in loot drop. When you get 5 cure serious wounds with or without the loot potion it is sad.

Aztek
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM

I ask because I learned that for normal Hirelings (I don't use them much but was running low level Necro quest the other night), that if they have unused time, on them when you log off, they pick up with remaining time left when you log back in. So I had like 18 minutes left on my lever flipper. Fired up another quest, and recalled the dude to mainly just stand around or be a punching bag while my rogue backstabbed.

IF the EXP pots only time out base on ingame time for the character who drank it, then you could just log that toon off while shopping, and then switch back when questing. A minor pain, but would address the issue for now. (I know my main shopper hardly quests these days (I should cap him again for some more haggle points I quess.)

Zenako, I think the problem (they are in-game timers) lie when you are waiting around for groups. Sometimes it can take a long time for groups to form or start a quest - example: we had some Shroud issues the other day because of personal issues with some guild-mates, so it took a bit to start the raid. Now granted, it's not a big deal if you know that is the case, but what if you're trying to form a group and wait 20 minutes for a cleric, let's say.... that's 20 minutes wasted if you already took the pot and went nicely through your first quest. Obviously you can't really drop the Looking for Group message unless (as you say) you do the pain thing. give someone else the star, log to another toon, put the lfg back up under your inappropriate level toon, then switch back when group is ready. ugh! also for Free-2-play, maybe they only have one character so far. What do you do???

Maybe there could be a reasonable limit though - like the pot has to be used up say within a real-clock time of 2-3 days? otherwise Turbine wouldn't like to sell these pots and have people use 20 minutes here, an hour there (for the 6-hour pots), etc. I'm guessing.

Krell
09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Greetings all,

I would like to make a recommendation that the store-bought timer-based potions (in this case +xp/+loot) be switched to "in quest/explorer only."

There are numerous reasons for this, but the meat and potatoes of it for me is that in Stormreach, there are more things to do than just quest. It is a social place, with many individuals to talk to (guild, friends) and the opportunity for adventurers to tell tales is never absent. Furthermore, there are excellent pawn brokers and auction house locations for those who are frugal, thrifty, or opportunistic in their monetary endeavors. As we do these things, our timers are tick-ticking away, effectively meaning that either our hard-earned dollar (in r.l.) or our quest efforts are slowly going down the drain like a leaky plug in the bathtub.

A stand for having these potions pause when out of quests and only work when in an actual area where mobs/chests are present and xp is to be had is a stand by Turbine for the encouragement to see DDO as a more well-rounded place: not simply a "quest-quest-quest" environment, but rather a place that has a more comprehensive feel.

Sincerely,

-Yav

Good suggestion. I also like that it was well thought out and presented in a positive way. +1 rep!

Furluge
09-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm Furluge (http://www.furlugedepot.com) and I approve this message.

Tylarra
09-18-2009, 11:02 PM
I agree with this. It is a pain to drink a xp pot, do some quests and then when you want to do something bigger, have to wait for a group and your timer is ticking away while you wait. I don't think it's fair to have to log out to pause the timer, just to do other things until you are ready to start questing again.

Tangi

Yavool
09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
i know for myself i'm a "ddo loiterer" and love to hang out at the auction house and pawn brokers, chat with guildies, even chat on the phone in r.l. or do homework while i'm logged in to one of my characters. short of logging out and onto a non-xp potion character, again i'm just watching my hard-earned points tick away. due to this, i am seriously considering not using pots at all, and from a marketing point of view, i would hope that if enough of us are having the same doubts, that the product itself could be adjusted to fit the exact desires of part of their market crowd, namely adventurers who are in it for the eclectic experience of ddo.

i'm not sure how all other ddo enthusiasts spend their time however; sociologically it intrigues me! i'd love the feedback here:

as an experiment, i'd love to hear how you spend your time in ddo. break it down into quest and non-quest activities (feel free to list the quest/explorer ratios if you can estimate as well as your favorite non-quest time-spent endeavors).

additionally, i would like to invite everyone to keep a tally of your time in-quest/explorer in realtionship to your 3 or 6 hour potion. for quests, this is very simple (just hit "x" when you finish the quest before you recall out and check the time on the experience log); for explorerer you'll need to record the enter/exit time of your experience potion timer and find the difference.

thank you for your contribution to this! :D

-yav

Drwaz99
09-20-2009, 03:46 PM
This is a fantastic idea. While I doubt Turbine will do it as it will dramatically slow down sales (and they seem to get a kick in shafting us then denying it). You never know though!

uncus2
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
It is a good suggestion, I like it, but has 2 problems.

1 - makes sense, turbine dosen't do things that make sense, just look at grazing hits, da, new combat system

2 - it could potentially lead to less $$ for turbine

QFT! Too bad, because it is a GREAT idea. Perhaps they don't have anyone with the capability of coding such a thing - spells [used to] continue when leaving a quest so there may not be a "left the quest" flag to stop the timer.

I'd be even better if it applied to hirelings, too!

THAC0
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Yep. In quest they 'activate' with the count down clock (which I like)... and in town where you are getting repairs, restocking, getting the next quest, etc... it stops.

Don't hireling contracts work that way? I can seem to remember as I usually just ignore it unless I didn't finish or am in the middle of a long quest. :)

Pyrex
09-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Really the most reasonable solution would be to not have them on a timer at all.

The loot potion should be something like "Loot Boost: next 10 chests".

Similarly, the XP potion should be should be "+20% xp over your next +1000xp"

Locking these effects to a timer really just encourages unfun zerging/grinding.

dopey69
09-21-2009, 03:00 PM
nothing worse than looking at the ah relaxing having coffee no rush untill after about 45 minutes you see that your extra xp dealio you bought has been running all that time grrrrr. then start logging other charachters to shop on is a hassle i vote for in quest timer not in town and such. /signed

Graypaws
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I would think it would be a simple fix, just tie the potions to dungeon zones. I would be for this.

Krag
10-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Really the most reasonable solution would be to not have them on a timer at all.

The loot potion should be something like "Loot Boost: next 10 chests".

Similarly, the XP potion should be should be "+20% xp over your next +1000xp"

Locking these effects to a timer really just encourages unfun zerging/grinding.

I like this idea even more than an original one. Ticking timer is annoying regardless wethter it applies to a in-game or to in-dungeon time.

DANTEIL
10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
So I'm a newbie/lowbie, and so I haven't really had any reason yet to even buy and try out an XP Potion from the store, but I've heard mention of them and I've read this thread, and yet I still have to ask:

What does an XP potion give you?

As far as I can tell, it gives you experience points that expire after a certain time? What is the benefit in that? Maybe you are raised in level for some brief period of time, which does what? Make you eligible for certain quests? Allows you to temporarily use certain items/spells? What's the point (no pun intended) if all of that is just going to go away after 45 minutes or whatever? Clearly, I am missing something obvious here. This is not a D&D concept I'm familiar with.

EDIT: oops, after more reading around I think i figured out that this means a 20% boost in *XP earned* during that time period. I was going off the mistaken analogy with the HP/SP potions, which give you direct points back, and figured that the same was true of a "XP Potion." The name isn't very informative if you haven't see it in action :)