PDA

View Full Version : A few noob questions

Renas
09-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey everyone I've got a few questions and would be grateful if someone could answer them.

1.Which server is the best to start a new player. Which has the most new players so it would be easy to find a party and so forth?

2.How many times can i repeat a quest without getting a penalty. And do penalties apply to the amount of times a specific quest has been done in general or do they apply to different difficulties?

3.I decided to build a human Paladin from scratch. I've looked at some guides and decided on these stats: 16 STR, 8 Dex, 14 CON, 8 INT, 10 WIS and 16 CHA. The feats I'll take are toughness and slashing weapon mastery. I am not sure about what skills to take since they all seem bloody useless except for maybe intimidate while tanking.

I'd apreaciate if you could suggest some improvements to my build and help with the skills, thanks.

Asketes
09-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey everyone I've got a few questions and would be grateful if someone could answer them.

1.Which server is the best to start a new player. Which has the most new players so it would be easy to find a party and so forth? KHYBER

2.How many times can i repeat a quest without getting a penalty. And do penalties apply to the amount of times a specific quest has been done in general or do they apply to different difficulties? you get a 10% penalty on the third repeat, no penalty for completion time.

3.I decided to build a human Paladin from scratch. I've looked at some guides and decided on these stats: 16 STR, 8 Dex, 14 CON, 8 INT, 10 WIS and 16 CHA. The feats I'll take are toughness and slashing weapon mastery. I am not sure about what skills to take since they all seem bloody useless except for maybe intimidate while tanking. drop your wisdom to 8, drop your cha to 15, make your con 16.. you get human stat boosters +1. you can even out or cha, and your con will be one of your key aspects.

You can boost your cha all you want, but this isn't a tank build so i recommend either boosting your STR or CON with the stat points you get at lvl: 4, 8, 12, 16, & 20.

Wear a +6 charisma item and "eventually" a +4 Cha tome (key word: eventually).

intimidate and balance are great skills. putting just a couple points into jump is very justifiable as well (stop when you have put 7 levels worth of points into it, casters carry the jump spell and i think at lvl 12 it gives you a 30 to your jump (caps at 40)

I'd apreaciate if you could suggest some improvements to my build and help with the skills, thanks.

see my writing in red above.

welcome to the game and hope you enjoy!

Renas
09-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for such a quick reply.

What if I do a quest on solo, then normal, then hard (so I can get the +25 on first time doing that difficulty) and when i eventualy do elite will i get the -10 penalty?

EDIT: Do I need the use magic device skill?

MDS_Geist
09-18-2009, 08:11 AM
You do not need UMD since you will not have sufficient skill points to make it so worthwhile unless you pump your charisma as high as it will go.

Renas
09-18-2009, 09:13 AM
BUMP

I don't want to sound annoying, but could someone please answer this:

"What if I do a quest on solo, then normal, then hard (so I can get the +25 on first time doing that difficulty) and when i eventualy do elite will i get the -10 penalty?"

Do the penatlties stack for all the difficulties?

gorloch
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
BUMP

I don't want to sound annoying, but could someone please answer this:

"What if I do a quest on solo, then normal, then hard (so I can get the +25 on first time doing that difficulty) and when i eventualy do elite will i get the -10 penalty?"

Do the penatlties stack for all the difficulties?

No penalty. The first time you finiah a quest on norm and ahrd its an extra 25% bonus, 50% on elite. You do not take a penalty for repeating the quest the first time accomplished on each difficulty. You will however get one after the first time.

PIXA

Vorman
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
I know this is going to sound silly but i have created an account and was playing the game yesterday when i turned off my computer. coming back I realize that I have know idea how to start the game back up. I swear i have looked all over this site but have been unable to figure out how to play the game again. could someone please tell me where the big PLAY button is?

Renas
09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
There is no play now button. There should be a Dungeons and dragons icon on your desktop tho. Start that login to your server and play.

tihocan
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
I know this is going to sound silly but i have created an account and was playing the game yesterday when i turned off my computer. coming back I realize that I have know idea how to start the game back up. I swear i have looked all over this site but have been unable to figure out how to play the game again. could someone please tell me where the big PLAY button is?
If you're under Vista, check the Vista Games folder.
If you're using the Turbine Download Manager, right click the system tray icon. If you disabled the auto-run on startup, start it manually, it should be in your programs somewhere.

Vorman
09-18-2009, 09:47 AM
There is no play now button. There should be a Dungeons and dragons icon on your desktop tho. Start that login to your server and play.

sadly there isnt.

Kaldahr
09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I can only really speak for Vista (XP worked flawlessly).

If the icon isn't on the desktop automatically then check your Games folder (Start button > Games). However, if you're like me, the icon in the Games folder did nothing.

What you've got to do is to navigate to the Program Files (or Program Files x86 in 64-bit Vista) > Turbine > DDO Unlimited folder and find the file dndlauncher.exe and create a shortcut to that file. Place that shortcut on your desktop (or wherever) and you should be good to go.

I've had to do this on both Vista installs I've done. You may also find that, after you've started the game and it asks about DX10, it'll return to the desktop. Restart the client at that point.

Don't mean to threadjack.