PDA

View Full Version : Tips for building the perfect customized toon

xxDevlinxx
09-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Tips for building the perfect customized toon

http://www.freewebs.com/dragonrenaissancebrotherhood/tooncreationtips.htm

HOW IMPORTANT IS INTELLIGENCE IN EVERY BUILD?

Ask anyone! You can't have too much intelligence. With most builds 1 or 2 stats are very important to cap out. The remainder I recommend putting into intelligence because this determines how many skill points you will get at every level to improve your skills. This determines if your toon is gimped or not. Also you want to leave stats in even numbers where possible, since the next higher odd number has no added benefit . For more advice see below or go to the forums.

http://www.freewebs.com/dragonrenaissancebrotherhood/tooncreationtips.htm

tihocan
09-17-2009, 02:49 PM
The remainder I recommend putting into intelligence because this determines how many skill points you will get at every level to improve your skills. This determines if your toon is gimped or not. Also you want to leave stats in even numbers where possible, since the next higher odd number has no added benefit .
I strongly disagree with both of these points. There are builds for which extra skill points are pretty much useless and investing into Int is a waste. Also, it's not a bad idea to add 1 extra point somewhere even if it makes you start with an odd number, because there are so many ways to set it even later (level up points, gear, tomes, enhancements) it's rarely wasted.

xxDevlinxx
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
But I've been playing DDO since near Beta (nearly 4 years for the biginners out there) Not to mention years of pen and paper and this basic advice generally holds true - May not hold true for all chars - but defintitely most - if you have questions please read the whole page! :p

http://www.freewebs.com/dragonrenaissancebrotherhood/dungeonadvicecolumn.htm

tihocan
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
But I've been playing DDO since near Beta (nearly 4 years for the biginners out there) Not to mention years of pen and paper and this basic advice generally holds true - May not hold true for all chars - but defintitely most - if you have questions please read the whole page! :p
Well, I believe it is wrong for most builds, but I guess I've not been playing for long enough :rolleyes:

I'm not criticizing the rest of your webpage btw, since I haven't read it.

Gorby
09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I'll agree with Tihocan that the OP is generally bad advice. Advice like that needs to be given to specific builds, not just 'in general'.

Scanning your linked page (no i didnt read it through) I see stuff that is outdated, or doesnt make much sense even to me.

For Example..

Confusing:

'Action bonus is a bonus given to Armor Class (AC) given for instance by an armor of stability, or the spell Protection from evil. Two deflection bonuses do not stack.'

What exactly is an action bonus and how does it apply to deflection?

Outdated:

'Don't Level

One of the ways I've used to boost experience quickly is to only level up every two levels. We all know that if your group is level 2 (or lower) and the quest is level 3 you will receive a 10% bonus to xp. Well if you can pull that off rather easily then don't level up when you reach level 3. That's right, stay level 2 until you deplete the xp for that quest. That way you'll constantly gain 10% xp bonuses until you feel the need to move on. '

Incaccurate:

If you're a dex high character (rouge, ranger etc) with a lower strength bonus, you may want to consider taking weapon finesse for your melee. This allows you to use your DEX in replacement with your STR, making you a deadly foe both in range and in melee.

Conflicting:

And Charisma, why you ask is that so important??? Well to help raise UMD (Use Magic Device, this is key. With a high UMD you can use magic items at higher levels than you are ..

Missing_Minds
09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Got to agree with the two disagreers.

Int is a bit of a stat dump on most builds. While I recommend that you actually put enough points to make it a non negative (aka 10) unless you are a skill based build, stop there for the most part.

kuro_zero
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM

In PnP it holds true. In DDO, no.

There are a very few useful non-rogue skills as currently implemented - and any rogue can get high enough search / disable with a base 8 Int - save for few "challenge" elite traps that no one cares about.

When +15 items gives you a 65% boost to what you can get with max ranks, those points in INT would probably be better spent on CON.

Impaqt
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Yes, we are free to Dissagre.. Just as you are allowed to pass along bad advice.

ANd double/triple post evidentally....

INT is a Dump stat in DDO. Very few skills are so important that you must increase your INT or face playing a Gimped character. Int is really important for 2 Things..

Combat Expertise on a AC FOcused Build.

Assasinate DC on a Assasin ROgue Build.

All your Builds seem to be from when the Game was new and the Cap was Level 10 as well.... Did you write any of this or did you Plagerize it from somewhere?

Yajerman01
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
The remainder I recommend putting into intelligence because this determines how many skill points you will get at every level to improve your skills. This determines if your toon is gimped or not.

The underlined and bolded portion is very misleading. Your statement is absolute, which is absolutely incorrect. Intelligentce is a key stat on certain builds and depending on the build determines the amount of Int which needs to be raised, but stating that skill points are essential to making a character gimp or not is a misnomar IMO.

Impaqt
09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Almost all the character info can be found on Ten Ton Hammers beta coverage of DDO from Feb 2006.

Its out of date and no longer aplies to the game we have today.

gorloch
09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I would have to disagree as well. There are many builds that int really isn't all that needed. Most classes only need one or two skills for their builds. The biggest exception would be the rogue. I also have been playing DDO for years and pnp for well over a decade.

PIXA

Yajerman01
09-17-2009, 04:11 PM
This is obviously a ploy to draw attention to a cheesy outdated guild site; unfortunately it does more harm then help out the guild site rep.

Femanon
09-17-2009, 04:14 PM
toon
Leave

kingfisher
09-17-2009, 04:16 PM
i'm sorry, did someone say that int was the most important stat? oh the irony!

Yajerman01
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
i'm sorry, did someone say that int was the most important stat? oh the irony!

it might as well be since my impression (without being online) is that ill barely be able to swing anyway unless im in a constant state of haste (sarcasm)