PDA

View Full Version : First Build

Hogglet
09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I'm new to DDO and never played D&D (at the time it was popular amongst my high school friends, I could never understand it.) Absolutely loving the game so far and definately plan to stick around. So please bear in mind I am no expert!

This is my first build I plan on running, I wonder if anyone could give me some constructive feedback / advice? Playing a Dwarf is a must for me. I hope to make a Dwarf Rogue/Ranger who can be of fairly good use to parties both as an assistant melee dpser and substitute trapper/lockpick.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Chaotic Good Dwarf Male
(4 Rogue \ 16 Ranger)
Hit Points: 338
Spell Points: 195
BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 19
Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 13 16
Dexterity 16 21
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 12 12
Wisdom 11 11
Charisma 8 8

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 3 22
Bluff -1 -1
Concentration 2 3
Diplomacy -1 -1
Disable Device 5 19
Haggle 2 2
Heal 1 8
Hide 6 18
Intimidate -1 -1
Jump 5 10
Listen 0 0
Move Silently 7 18
Open Lock 7 19
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 1 1
Search 3 19
Spot 4 19
Swim 2 4
Tumble 4 14
Use Magic Device 3 16

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Disable Device I
Enhancement: Rogue Search I

Level 2 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility
Enhancement: Rogue Open Lock I
Enhancement: Ranger Spot I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I

Level 4 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance I

Level 5 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Dwarven Tactics I
Enhancement: Ranger Heal I
Enhancement: Ranger Hide I

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant
Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Defense I
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I

Level 7 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I

Level 8 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Ranger Item Defense I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
Enhancement: Rogue Balance I

Level 10 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Defense II
Enhancement: Ranger Spot II

Level 11 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III

Level 13 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance II

Level 14 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II

Level 15 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II

Level 16 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I

Level 17 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III

Level 18 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution II

Level 19 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Aberration
Enhancement: Racial Toughness IV

Level 20 (Ranger)
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage IV

Arianrhod
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM
One thing to consider is to check out the ranger prestige enhancements (such as Tempest) and see if any of them appeal to you. If so, might want to consider 18 ranger/2 rogue, so as to get the top level of the prestige enhancement. Also, many people will tell you you absolutely, positively MUST take the rogue level at first level if you're going to take it. Yes, this is usually a good idea, but rangers get enough skill points (and enough useful class skills) to make it perfectly reasonable to take that rogue level later if you've already started as a ranger.

Also, check out the "is my rogue skill high enough" thread on the rogue forums, to get an idea of how high you want your search, spot, disable, and open locks. As for Use Magic Device - it tends to be all or nothing. If you're going to put points into it (and no reason not to, with a build like this), go all the way and keep it maxed out.

Hogglet
09-17-2009, 05:49 AM
One thing to consider is to check out the ranger prestige enhancements (such as Tempest) and see if any of them appeal to you. If so, might want to consider 18 ranger/2 rogue, so as to get the top level of the prestige enhancement. Also, many people will tell you you absolutely, positively MUST take the rogue level at first level if you're going to take it. Yes, this is usually a good idea, but rangers get enough skill points (and enough useful class skills) to make it perfectly reasonable to take that rogue level later if you've already started as a ranger.

I did look at the Tempest enhancements, but beyond Tempest I, I wasn't 100% sure that there was huge benefits. Like I said before, I'm new, so perhaps I haven't understood something correctly?

Also, check out the "is my rogue skill high enough" thread on the rogue forums, to get an idea of how high you want your search, spot, disable, and open locks. As for Use Magic Device - it tends to be all or nothing. If you're going to put points into it (and no reason not to, with a build like this), go all the way and keep it maxed out.

I searched, but I couldn't find the thread you're talking about. :(
I thought UMD was used to ensure you could use scrolls, etc..? If it's pretty useless at end-game unless you pump it up to the max, then it's probably better if I invest the points in other skills like Open Door and Disable Device.

Arianrhod
09-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I did look at the Tempest enhancements, but beyond Tempest I, I wasn't 100% sure that there was huge benefits. Like I said before, I'm new, so perhaps I haven't understood something correctly?

I searched, but I couldn't find the thread you're talking about. :(
I thought UMD was used to ensure you could use scrolls, etc..? If it's pretty useless at end-game unless you pump it up to the max, then it's probably better if I invest the points in other skills like Open Door and Disable Device.

The benefit of Tempest III is an extra attack, lower attack penalty, and higher armor class. All definitely worth it, but if you really want the extra 2 rogue levels instead, that's a perfectly legitimate design decision.

Did some digging and finally found the rogue skill guide. It's been moved to the Compendium, in the player-written guides section. I believe it's listed under "I", for "is" (the title of the article being "is my <insert rogue skill> high enough?"). I would say if you do go for the full 4 rogue levels, spread them out a bit (don't go ranger1/rogue1/ranger2/rogue2, etc, but more like rogue 1/ranger1/ranger2/ranger3/rogue2, etc.), and go for the UMD. That way you can keep it maxed all the way to level 20 by dumping more points into it whenever you take a rogue level.

tihocan
09-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Don't take so many toughness feats (1 is enough). Get power attack. Max out UMD. If you're planning to have significantly higher dex than str, take weapon finesse, but keep in mind it restricts your weapon options (to finessable weapons, i.e. light weapons and rapiers). Ideally, try to get to L18 ranger for Tempest III, but it may be difficult to do on a 28 pt dwarf (drow is ideal for such a build because you really benefit from the +2 dex and int).

Hogglet
09-17-2009, 08:51 AM
The benefit of Tempest III is an extra attack, lower attack penalty, and higher armor class. All definitely worth it, but if you really want the extra 2 rogue levels instead, that's a perfectly legitimate design decision.

I don't think I'm really taking full advantage of L4 Rogue as the only thing I can spot in my template that uses it is:

Rogue Sneak Attack Training 2
+3 sneak attack damage (total 6)

So I'll try and tweak it a little. :)

Hogglet
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Don't take so many toughness feats (1 is enough).

I thought they stacked?

take weapon finesse, but keep in mind it restricts your weapon options (to finessable weapons, i.e. light weapons and rapiers).

I didn't realise this. Is it possible to make it work with axes? ;) (I am a Dwarf after all.)

Ideally, try to get to L18 ranger for Tempest III, but it may be difficult to do on a 28 pt dwarf (drow is ideal for such a build because you really benefit from the +2 dex and int).

Can't stand elves! ;)

Thanks for the advice.

tihocan
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I thought they stacked?

I didn't realise this. Is it possible to make it work with axes? ;) (I am a Dwarf after all.)

Can't stand elves! ;)

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, toughness feats stack, but you get most benefit from only 1 of them, because of the associated enhancements. The extra toughness feats only add a minor amount of HPs compared to the first one.

You can use handaxes with weapon finesse. But for more DPS, use dwarven axes and be strength-based (means you should decrease Dex in favor of Str if you want to do this).

Noctus
09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Several points to adjust for a much better overall performance:

* -2 DEX ---> +2 STR and +1 CON.

* 9th level feat ---> Oversized TWF

12th level feat --> Improved Crit: Slashing

* 18th level feat ---> Power Attack

Use two Dwarfen Axes, push up STR with your level-up points and fight like a Dwarf, not DEX-based like some sissy elfen twigboy! Who deals mediocre damage at best and breaks in half once a monster looks in his direction.