PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Battle Cleric

Olddrairth
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
As a Battle Cleric, which weapons or Set of weapons should I bring back?

Arianrhod
09-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Bring back? From where? For what? More info, please :)

Olddrairth
09-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Which Set of weapons or weapons should I have in Inventory. Idk, Axe and Shield, Great Axe, Mace and Shield, Staff...

Maybe a Mace and a Shield to attack and a Staff to cast Spells (for example).

EDIT: Where I can find or how can I create a signature similar to yours?

Angelus_dead
09-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Which Set of weapons or weapons should I have in Inventory. Idk, Axe and Shield, Great Axe, Mace and Shield, Staff...
It depends on what you can use and what you can get.

A quarterstaff is a good idea if you don't know any other two-hand weapon, and for skeletons regardless. But if you like combat you should probably learn other weapons, like Khopesh, Rapier, or Falchion. Taking one level of fighter, barb, ranger, or paladin is a fast way to learn many weapons.

PS. In DDO a staff is not good for casting.

Arianrhod
09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Assuming you're talking about a pure cleric (simple weapon proficiency, not martial), you should consider a sickle for zombies, a morningstar for skeletons, and whatever Ember weapon you got for most things. Carry a few cheap, nonmagical clubs for oozes (so you don't waste money repairing your good weapons), and a crossbow for shooting at exploding barrels. Carry a heavy shield in the offhand. Even though you can equip 2 weapons, it will be very hard to hit anything if you do (though it's fine for spellcasting weapons, as you're not swinging them at anything anyway).

Once you get some resources, consider elemental weapons - flaming and frost are nice, acid of pure good is very nice throughout the lower levels.

For spellcasting, get a Power or Wizardry item for bonus spellpoints; if this is on a weapon rather than something wearable, you'll have to get used to the routine of equipping it before using a shrine & switching to a combat weapon after buffing. For healing, an item with Devotion is useful. Potency will improve the effectiveness of all your damage/healing spells, but equivalent devotion items are usually available with lower minimum level (and cheaper). If you really want to go nuts, you could get enchantment focus and sonic lore items for your Command & Sound burst spells too, but that would be a lot of switching in the middle of combat ;)

Olddrairth
09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Probably I will be a Dwarf Cleric with one level Fighter, so, there will be problems if I try to equip Axes,?

AussieEngineer
09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
No problem at all mate.

With the one level of Fighter, you get martial weapon proficiency so you are able to use all Martial weapons, all simple weapons, and also you get to wield the Dwarven Waraxe (which is an exotic weapon, but as a dwarf with martial weapon proficiency, you get that too).

How do you want to play your battle cleric?
What sort of build?

If two handed fighting, the Great axe is obviously the way to go when you want to dish out the pain.
(Dwarves get some enhancements to increase damage with axes).

You can always swap in and out Healing boosting weapons when needed (if you want).

If you want to go with a one handed weapon and a shield, then use the dwarven waraxe. it is one of the best weapons in game. High base damage compared to other one handed weapons.

Its all up to how you want to play I guess.

Arianrhod
09-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Probably I will be a Dwarf Cleric with one level Fighter, so, there will be problems if I try to equip Axes,?

Nope, the fighter level will give you proficiency with all martial weapons. Axes are a fine choice for a dwarf :)

Olddrairth
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Perfect, thanks guys. Now I'll try to do something with the Character Generator.

P.s If someone can suggest me a Build (as a starting point), I would be grateful.

sirgog
09-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Nope, the fighter level will give you proficiency with all martial weapons. Axes are a fine choice for a dwarf :)

You'll also get access to racial bonuses for dwarves using axes. My main is a Clr17/Ftr1 that wields a greataxe most of the time.

My sig has builds you might want to look at (in the Cleric Build Catalogue post) - look at both the Melee-Capable Cleric and the Melee-Focused Cleric and work out which one you think suits your playstyle better.

Keep in mind that most of the time, you will need to heal the party as well as melee (unless you are in a group with characters with excellent defenses; or grouped with a more healing-oriented Clr or FvS), the low levels are the ideal time to train your reflexes for healing during combat. Watching six or twelve health bars at the same time as attacking a foe takes some practice.

Also, when you are nearly out of SP, you'll want to disengage from combat and use Cure Serious wands for most healing (these aren't affordable when you are new, but by level 9 or 10 they will seem cheap; until then grab Cure Light Wounds wands which provide five times the healing per GP but provide only one third of the healing per second). Conserve your last SP for emergency big heals, so you can throw one on someone that takes a critical hit and is close to death.

Olddrairth
09-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks again, but I have another question: what kind of armor should I wear?

Kintro
09-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Probably Full Plate. It is unlikely your dex will be high enough to warrant anything else.

tihocan
09-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Depends on whether you're going to try to get good AC or not. At low level it's easy enough to get an AC that helps (especially as a new player since you probably can't afford many wands and potions). Just get a full plate.
At higher levels, unless your build is meant for it *and* you spend a lot of time acquiring gear to boost your AC, then your AC will be worthless, and you'll probably want do use some robe or vestment (just because they can be swapped faster than other armor). Note that robe/vestment is also an option for high dex builds (e.g. with a monk splash) to still get good AC.

Since you're new, I'd advise that you don't care about AC past the low/mid levels, since it's easier and will give you more freedom in your equipment. Then, if you want to have good melee abilities, you should either be using two-handed weapons (easier) or two-weapon fighting (higher DPS). Don't use a sword+shield.

Olddrairth
09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Ok, now the last question :D: an Hybrid so "forced", what kind of problems it will have in the End-Game? I mean, since it does not excel in anything, what roles it may have? Or I don't have to think about the End Game but only to the fact that it is a PG for "practice"?