PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

Gregen
09-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Okay I was told it didn't matter which class you chose first in multiclassing, but it looks like it cost twice as many points to level a skill of a different class, or am I wrong?

I picked Ranger and realized all the skills I want, like cleave all the way to whirlwind, are all fighter skills. You can even get many-shot and rapid-shot as a fighter. I mean it's like there's nothing a ranger gets that a fighter doesn't. So now am I going to have to pay double points to learn all those fighter feats? If that's so I'll have to reroll as a fighter, though I don't want to.

Unless someone can convince me there's some worth in a Ranger. It looks like fighters make just as good archers as rangers, maybe even better. All rangers get that fighters don't are some spells that hardly attract me.

FluffyCalico
09-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Unless someone can convince me there's some worth in a Ranger. It looks like fighters make just as good archers as rangers, maybe even better. All rangers get that fighters don't are some spells that hardly attract me.

suggest you read DDO.com compendium on rangers as you definately do not understand them at all.

Free feats a ranger gets on top of the ones they choose:
Bow str
Rapid shot
TWF
Diehard
ITWF
Manyshot
Wild empathy
Evasion
GTWF
Precise shot
Improved pricise shot
Hide in plain sight

again these are on top of the feats they choose at 1,3,6,9,12,15,18
They also get favored enimes, rams might, and 3 nice pre lines to choose from and a capstone that boosts ranged speed even more.

Rangers have been 1 of the most overpowered classes in the game for several mods. To say they offer nothing ...well lets not get the cube involved

by the way you may think you want cleave, greater cleave and whirlwind...but you don't, you just don't know it yet. All of those should be good, but are not good at all, the way they were implemented

Uska
09-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Cleave and whirlwind arent skills they are feats they cost the same for all no fighters get tons of extra feats they can spend on these things so it is a little easier for them but you have to remember rangers get lots of free feats as well some ranged ones and two weapon fighting stuff, you are fine just plan you lvl ups carefully

MissErres
09-16-2009, 03:25 AM
IMHO... Rangers best DPS in the game. But that's just my opinion.

Rangers get Two weapon feat for free at lvl 2. Tempest at level 6. (Research the different types of rangers to see which one you like best.)

If you want a fighter, build a fighter. If you want a ranger, build a ranger. If you are going to multi-class, do A LOT of research first. There are many customized builds listed on the forums. If this is your first character, I do not suggest multi-classing unless you follow instructions to the letter.

And yes, in some cases it matters which class you start with.

Jendrak
09-16-2009, 03:26 AM
I think you are confuseing skills and feats.

Skill are what you use points for (examples: spot, search, hide, movesilent)

Feats are what you get at level (cleave, many-shot, etc...)

Now, while fighters do get alot of bonus "feats" that they can spend on any combat feat (power attack, cleave, many shot, whirlwind) Rangers get all two-weapon fighting, and all archery feast for free. (check compendium for full list)

Also, Rangers get another feat called evasion (you take no damahe on a successful reflex save) that is only granted to certain classes. You can not "take" this feat so unless you are a ranger, rogue, or monk you never will have it.

Gregen
09-16-2009, 03:27 AM
Looks like my questions have been answered. Hehe, that was faster than expected. Thanks guys.