PDA

View Full Version : Easy to play build?

Thing
09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's the deal. I am a returning player. I first played at launch and stopped after a little over a year. I played PnP D&D as a child mainly as a hireling in my older brothers group when they needed the help. Later on I tried AD&D with some friends but it was way to involved and I lost interest. When DDO came out I thought maybe it would be a bit easier to play but quickly learned that it was actually harder to play because of the fast pace and the importance of a strong build to complete higher level quests. I really didn't have the time to experiment with builds and fully grasp all of the ins and outs. I compensated for this the first time around by playing in a casual just for fun guild that I created. I played a rogue and basically made my own build as went along as did many others in my guild. Needless to say our group wasn't very effective. I left the game because it seemed to be too complex for a casual player that was mostly interested in just experiencing the game. Not to mention I didn't feel I was getting my subscription fee worth of playing time each month.

So now DDOU is here and with some coaxing from a former guild member, I've decided to give it another try. I've decided to learn from my previous mistakes and put some thought into my build. I see there are some great builds out there for new players but I'm looking for some assistance in choosing what build would be best for me and my style of play. Hopefully with the background I've provided and the additional information below, you will be able to help me select a build that will be fun for me to play.

Here's some things to consider (In order of priority):

The build should be easy to play. It's enough to keep myself out of trouble without having to worry about others. Not having to memorize all kinds of hot keys or having tool bars all over the place would be great.
I'd like to be of some help to my group. I'd like to feel as though I'm contributing something.
I'd like to be able to do some soloing.
The build should be able to get me through most, if not all, of the content. I'll mostly be grouping with experienced players.

A few other things that may or may not matter:

I have a premium account with Drow unlocked but I don't have 1750 favor so it must be a 28 pt build.
I'm playing on a system that only slightly exceeds minimum requirements.
I'm willing to sink money into the game if and when needed but I want to avoid investing too much in the beginning.
The plan is to get me to 1750 favor to unlock 32 pt builds so you could also make a suggestion on a second build. It should be similar to the first to avoid having to learn how to play a whole new type of character. Although by this time I should have much more in game help and a better understanding myself . Help with my first build is all I'm really looking for.

I hope I'm not asking for too much but my experience reading these forums makes me believe someone out there will be up to the challenge of helping me. I hope my thoroughness helps, not hinders, and obviously I don't expect all of my expectations to be met.

A big thanks to anyone that has read this far and a bigger thanks to those who offer advice!

Arnya
09-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Build a cleric.

Make her a dwarf, max Wisdom, 14 Str and left over points into Con. All level-up points into Wisdom.

Take 2nd level as a fighter for a free feat (toughness feat here - see below) and access to dwarven axes and tower shields

Take the (not mental)toughness, extend, empower, quicken and maximise feats.

Take all the life (and incredible life magic) and wand use (not dc) enhancements. Take all the spell point and Con enhancements.

Take all the racial toughness enhancements also.

Find a superior potency item and tower shield for heal mode. Superior potency items are one of the most valuable items in the game - they affect all spells cast. You can start with improved pot 1 or whatever and swap out as you level or loot better items

Find nice dorf axes and mithril plate/shields for melee mode.

This build (if you can call it that) will see you thru 1750 and into all the endgame raids without ever having to reroll.

Enjoy.

captain1z
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
agree with arnya.

make a cleric....... but dont do it poorly or make a dwarven fighter.

Halfling fighter 1/rogue 2/ wizard 17 with dragon marks has potential also....... not a beginners build though.

dankvader
09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
you cant take the otughness feat as a 2nd level fighter can you?

baylensman
09-16-2009, 08:51 AM
if you want easy to play go barbarain. max out strength and con every chance and push your ac as hard as possible. take rage and toughness feats.
only thing you have to do is run (W Key) steer (mouse or track ball) and beat the living snot out of everything (right click till your thumb bleeds)

Draclaud
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
if you want easy to play go barbarain. max out strength and con every chance and push your ac as hard as possible. take rage and toughness feats.
only thing you have to do is run (W Key) steer (mouse or track ball) and beat the living snot out of everything (right click till your thumb bleeds)

I kinda agree here. A WF Barb w/max str and put the rest in con. Take all the THF feats and go to town. Your expirianced friends should keep you healed. The only hot kets you would need is to put rage on your bar. No spells to have to cast, and no responibility to keep others up (that can be overwelming when you're just starting.) If you think you can hang with the Dwarven Cleric thing, that would be ALOT easier to level (every group wants a cleric) and no one will care/be able to tell you're a 28 point build.

Thing
09-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replies! Now I have something to think about.