PDA

View Full Version : Fighter DPS

MariosX
09-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Hello.
I would like to create a fighter that will do the most damage per second.
I thought of creating a Human Fighter [Human because of the bonus feats] and I did a Major Mistake I put these stats on my fighter: STR 17, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, WIS: 12, 8 CHA.
As you can see Dex was a major mistake because I can't get Dodge, Great Cleave [atk bonus lacking], Spring Attack and Whirlwind.
Now since I am gonna restart again I wanna create a character that I won't have any problems again and will do the job I wanna do [Damage Per Second]

Any suggestions?

7-day_Trial_Monkey
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Cleave and whirlwind are useless. That is not the road to high dps.

Go with 15 dex and get two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting, greater two weapon fighting (17 dex needed so 2 more points from a tome or from leveling points) and get Khopesh feat.

Then spend your enhancement points to get Kensai 3.

That's the road to max dps on a fighter.

You are better off with less int, less wis, and more con. HP are king.

Aranticus
09-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Hello.
I would like to create a fighter that will do the most damage per second.
I thought of creating a Human Fighter [Human because of the bonus feats] and I did a Major Mistake I put these stats on my fighter: STR 17, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, WIS: 12, 8 CHA.
As you can see Dex was a major mistake because I can't get Dodge, Great Cleave [atk bonus lacking], Spring Attack and Whirlwind.
Now since I am gonna restart again I wanna create a character that I won't have any problems again and will do the job I wanna do [Damage Per Second]

Any suggestions?

for max dps, you would need max str and at 15 dex. 15 dex with a +2 tome will give you the 17 for itwf and gtwf. this means that your build points will be so low that you can only have 12 con. note that unlike 7 Day, i'll do not recommend using level up points to put into dex. i prefer them all in 1 stat because by saying max dps you have already signalled your intention to twink

if you are willing not to have max dps, lowering your str to 17 or 16 will fill up alot of deficiencies in your build. while you do not certainly need 12 wis like your original, you can bump wis up to 10 just so you do not get negatives. int can also be increase to 10 so that it will allow you to qualify, with a +3 tome, for combat expertise should you need it in the future

more importantly you need to have at least 12 levels as a fighter and splash 6 levels of ranger or go totally pure L20 fighter. oh kensai instead of stalwart

MariosX
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Any known builds then?
If I'm going for full dps will I be able to die with 2 hits?

Please be more specific.
1) What are the tomes used for and what are the requirements?
2) Is it really necessary to have 10 WIS and 10 INT? Spellcasters are not common and skills are not needed. I'm gonna only need Jump and Repair
3) What the penalties would be?
4) What is itwf and gtwf?
5) What toughness really does? +1 max HP per level? so 24 [lvl 20] HP more will do much difference in DDO?

MariosX
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
bamp! sry i had to do that

Arianrhod
09-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Any known builds then?

Please be more specific.
2) Is it really necessary to have 10 WIS and 10 INT? Spellcasters are not common and skills are not needed. I'm gonna only need Jump and Repair
5) What toughness really does? +1 max HP per level? so 24 [lvl 20] HP more will do much difference in DDO?

10 int on a fighter seems kind of weird to me. I'd go with 8 (no points) or 12 (for Combat Expertise if you want a defensive/tactical fighter - would need a +1 tome, but that's not a huge obstacle). Since you're talking about a DPS build rather than a defense/tactical build, seems to me the INT could go.

Ciaran
09-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Any known builds then?

Please be more specific.

1) Tomes are rare items that increase a specific ability score by 1-4 points permanently. Ergo a "Manual of Gainful Excercise" will increase your Strength 1-4 points permanently on the character you use it on. Old tomes have no requirements, new tomes have minimum levels associated with them (+1 = ML3, +2 = ML7, etc).

2) Whenever possible, not having a negative score in your abilities is a GOOD thing. Fighters have bad will saves and every little thing you can do, such as not starting off with a -1 to will saves can help. That said, you can get by with an 08 WIS if you get the right gear offset things. Oh, and casters do become common opponents in this game but they aren't the only reason you want a decent will save; several creatures have nasty abilities that force you to make a will save or take some kind of debuff (or die). Thankfully as a fighter you get access to a ton of feats, so taking things like Iron Will and/or Bullheaded will help you out with will saves.

As far as skills are concerned...they can be more important than you think. Not sure why you want Repair on a human fighter, I'd advise Intimidate (even if you aren't tanking, taking aggro off of a squishy caster or rogue and getting the creature to stop running and after them and attack you so you can more effectively beat on them is useful), Jump, Balance and enough ranks in Tumble to be able to do so in heavy armor.

3) What penalties are you referring to? If for skills I just answered some of that I think.

4) Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting. You need a 17 base DEX (that means you have to have a 17 DEX without any enhancements or equipment that give bonuses to DEX) to get those unless you are a Ranger. They give you more attacks when you are wielding two weapons.

5) Toughness gives you +3 HP at level one and +1 HP per level. You can take this feat multiple times. You also get enhancements if you have the Toughness feat that allows you to get even more HP. For melee characters, especially lower AC DPS builds, Toughness is important. It's more like +52 HP or thereabouts (22 (lvls 1-20) + 30 from enhancements (or more if you take all the Toughness enhancements) and that's only taking it once.

I'm making a pure fighter and going for Kensai III, TWF. I think I went with:
LG Human
17 STR
16 DEX (+2 DEX tomes are hard to come by in my experience and because your ability to do good DPS is contingent upon qualifying for ITWF and GTWF I went with a higher DEX than 15 as +1 tomes are easy to come by or purchase in the DDO store)
14 CON
11 INT (1750 Tome reward will be an INT tome so I can qualify for CE to have some tanking capabilities).
08 WIS
08 CHA

For a 28 point build:
STR 16 | 17 | 17
DEX 16 | 16 | 15
CON 14 | 13 | 13
INT 10 | 11 | 10
WIS 08 | 08 | 08
CHA 08 | 08 | 08

You can play with the stats some to get them where you want. For just DPS and nothing else and to make sure you can pick up ITWF and GTWF sooner rather than later, you could take 2 points of INT in the last set of stats and place them in DEX or place them in WIS to help your will saves a little bit. Personally, I'd go with DEX.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
09-16-2009, 04:53 PM
The repair skill is the warforged race's equivalent of the heal skill. It determines how many hp a warforged gets back when resting at a shring. And it allows you to use a repair kit to heal an incapped warforge back up to 1 hp.

Don't touch that skill.