PDA

View Full Version : New and looking for a melee cleric build

Ayaelu
09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
A friend told me that DDO was going f2p so I thought I'd give it a shot.Having played NWN and NWN2 back in the day I figured I'd make another cleric as they're my favorite class.Being new he says I'll only have the ability to use 28 point builds(whatever that is).Anyway I was curious if anyone could share a build for a 28 point melee cleric.I still want to be able to heal groups and such,just looking for enough melee ability to solo when need be.I'm not married to melee over casting but with the way spell points seem to work here it seems melee will be more efficient.Thanks in advance.

Angelus_dead
09-15-2009, 05:28 PM
There is a "Warpriest" option you can take to start with, which is good enough.

But if you want to make it yourself, it's very easy:
Step 1: Decide if you'll be pure cleric, or learn martial weapons from 1 level of Barb, Fighter, Paladin, or Ranger. Each of those has an advantage you should be familiar with from D&D rules, except that Ranger also adds strength bonus to bow damage, Fighter has a short attack-speed boost, Barb has +1 PA effect, and Ranger or Paladin give a few more spellpoints.

Step 2: If a pure cleric, then decide on the one martial or exotic weapon you'll learn with a feat at level 1 or 3. Falchion and Khopesh are good choices. If your race was elf, then you'd already know rapier and can possibly skip it.

Step 3: Start with at 15 strength (before racial mod) and wisdom, and 13 constitution. Add other points as you see fit. Get at least 15 dex if you want to learn TWF.

Step 4: Skills in concentration and balance will help you keep casting spells while fighting.

Step 5: The Extend Spell feat will make your melee buffs last longer, especially crucial at low level. Whenever fighting cast Divine Favor, and later Divine Power.

Have fun

hydra_ex
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
There is a "Warpriest" option you can take to start with, which is good enough.

But if you want to make it yourself, it's very easy:
Step 1: Decide if you'll be pure cleric, or learn martial weapons from 1 level of Barb, Fighter, Paladin, or Ranger. Each of those has an advantage you should be familiar with from D&D rules, except that Ranger also adds strength bonus to bow damage, Fighter has a short attack-speed boost, Barb has +1 PA effect, and Ranger or Paladin give a few more spellpoints.

Step 2: If a pure cleric, then decide on the one martial or exotic weapon you'll learn with a feat at level 1 or 3. Falchion and Khopesh are good choices. If your race was elf, then you'd already know rapier and can possibly skip it.

Step 3: Start with at 15 strength (before racial mod) and wisdom, and 13 constitution. Add other points as you see fit. Get at least 15 dex if you want to learn TWF.

Step 4: Skills in concentration and balance will help you keep casting spells while fighting.

Step 5: The Extend Spell feat will make your melee buffs last longer, especially crucial at low level.

Have fun

An elven twf favored soul with the scimitar enhc and follower of the sovereign host could make an even more potent build. Just replace 15 WIS with 15 CHA, and leave the rest the same.

Arianrhod
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
An elven twf favored soul with the scimitar enhc and follower of the sovereign host could make an even more potent build. Just replace 15 WIS with 15 CHA, and leave the rest the same.

Favored Soul wouldn't be free, though, at least not for quite some time (2500 favor).

Visty
09-15-2009, 05:44 PM

cha 15 is a waste, cha 12 is more then enough
for those 3 points raise str to 16 and con to 14 (befor racial adjustments)