PDA

View Full Version : Adventure packs for solo play?

Shadram
09-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I've had a look through the first few pages of the forums for the answer to this question, but couldn't find it. Sorry if it has been answered before, and my reading skills failed!

I've started playing DDO with a group of friends, and we're really enjoying grouping and adventuring together. However, I appear to have a bit more spare time on my hands than the others, and I'm interested in playing another character when they're not around. I've tried pugging a few times, but everyone seems to want to run through the quests at the speed of light and not really pay attention to the stories or their surroundings, which really doesn't suit my style. So that leaves soloing.

While there is plenty of free low level content that's fun to solo (I'm playing a cleric, which makes things easier), are any of the paid-for adventure packs worth picking up for the solo player, with or without henchmen? I'll probably end up buying some with my group as we go (and the reviews in other threads really help with that), but I've found no information about the solo-ability of these adventures. Are there any that contain a decent amount of soloable content, or are they all aimed at group play?

Kaldais
09-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I've had a look through the first few pages of the forums for the answer to this question, but couldn't find it. Sorry if it has been answered before, and my reading skills failed!

I've started playing DDO with a group of friends, and we're really enjoying grouping and adventuring together. However, I appear to have a bit more spare time on my hands than the others, and I'm interested in playing another character when they're not around. I've tried pugging a few times, but everyone seems to want to run through the quests at the speed of light and not really pay attention to the stories or their surroundings, which really doesn't suit my style. So that leaves soloing.

While there is plenty of free low level content that's fun to solo (I'm playing a cleric, which makes things easier), are any of the paid-for adventure packs worth picking up for the solo player, with or without henchmen? I'll probably end up buying some with my group as we go (and the reviews in other threads really help with that), but I've found no information about the solo-ability of these adventures. Are there any that contain a decent amount of soloable content, or are they all aimed at group play?

What level range are you talking about?
Here's a few suggestions.
Tangle Root Gorge is a fun adventure pack to solo, there is one good sized explorable area and 10 part-quest chain for level 3-7 with excellent end rewards.
Sharn Syndicate 4-6 range, quest chain based in Marketplace, some parts might be a little hard to solo.
Catacombs 2-5 range, some people love it, some people hate it. Lots of undead.
Delera 5-7 range, part 2 requires an extra body to pull lever, but in all not too bad. Excellent end rewards.

anatoli11
09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Pretty much anything upto level 10 is soloable. May take a few tries though, and your character will have to be higher than the quest level.

Shadram
09-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm interested in info on any level range, really. After all, whatever the level, I'll get there eventually!

Thanks for the information so far, it's very useful.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm interested in info on any level range, really. After all, whatever the level, I'll get there eventually!

Thanks for the information so far, it's very useful.

In all the higher level packs you will find adventure/explorer areas. Many solo players use these to level/kill time when not grouped. Between the explorers (which you get fairly quickly) and the slayer counts (longer grinds for very good xp if you keep at it) there is quite a lot of levelling potential there. Of course its more the WoW style "kill 3000 of these" but some people like that.

Arianrhod
09-15-2009, 11:28 AM
For solo play, I'd focus on the packs that have explorer zones - Tangleroot, Three-barrel Cove, Sorrowdusk. Not sure about the higher level ones like Demon Sands, Gianthold, Vale of Twilight & whichever Necropolis pack has the Orchard. I expect they can all be decent places to solo with a level-appropriate character, but there are specific things you have to be prepared for; Demon Sands for instance you'll want fear immunity (not to mention disease immunity and remove curse) before heading out to the undead area, and some plan for dealing with the air elementals.

Of course most of the actual quests can be soloed as well, but it can be frustrating to get to the final encounter of a quest only to find you didn't have quite the right tools to beat it and find you've wasted the last hour or more. At least with the explorer zones you get credit for whatever kills you happen to have gotten while you were there, even if an unexpected tough encounter does send you packing before you accomplish whatever you were hoping to ;)