PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Hireling that will open Doors?

LokiMudPaw
09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm playing a favored soul, there are some secret/locked doors I can't find/open. Is there a hireling that can do this or will I need to find a party?

ThunderGulch
09-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Not that I am aware of.
You can't hire Rogues.
But you can buy an item from the DDO Store.

EKKM
09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
There are no rogue hirelinngs and I have not heard of of any wizzie hireling with knock so I think you will need a party.

Note that there is an item in the DDO store called a bell of opening but it is one use and cost 90TP so is pretty expejnsive.

Also note that there are very few quests that require a door opener to complete (I cant actually think of any) so you are probably only miossing some optionals a chest or two or an easier way to complete.

LokiMudPaw
09-15-2009, 08:56 AM
ok...Thank you

LokiMudPaw
09-15-2009, 08:57 AM
You guys are great on this forum..Very helpful

Arianrhod
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
For secret doors, a Detect Secret Doors clickie (item that casts a spell when you click on it) is usually the best option. At higher levels True Sight/True Seeing (can never remember which spell is in DDO) can do the same thing, only better.

For locked doors, a wizard with Knock can often get them open (Knock scrolls, however, are of little use, due to low caster level/min casting stat). There's also a Chime of Opening available from the DDO store, but it's a single-use item. Not generally worth the points just to get one door/chest open, unless you know for sure you really, really want whatever's on the other side, or just have plenty of points to spend.

dbrowdy
09-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I have this weird compulsion to see everything in a dungeon so I went back and rerolled a 1 rogue/19 ranger (template in the sticky thread) so I could open doors and disarm traps. I wanted to try a ranger anyhow so this works out well. Also I realized that you get bonus XP for doing those things!

Anyways, my point is if you're soloing you should think about throwing in 1 rogue level so you can do all that stuff.

Arianrhod
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I have this weird compulsion to see everything in a dungeon so I went back and rerolled a 1 rogue/19 ranger (template in the sticky thread) so I could open doors and disarm traps. I wanted to try a ranger anyhow so this works out well. Also I realized that you get bonus XP for doing those things!

Anyways, my point is if you're soloing you should think about throwing in 1 rogue level so you can do all that stuff.

Yeah, but one rogue level on a ranger works a whole lot better than one rogue level on a favored soul ;)