PDA

View Full Version : A DDO UI Guide for New People

Junts
09-15-2009, 12:25 AM
This mini-guide comes in 3 sections: the ui controls, the customization controls, and the basics of ui skinning.

The UI Controls:

Most players will pretty easily figure out stuff like "i" is the default key to open your inventory, C the character sheet, et cetera. I'm not going to include a list of these here (primarily because I don't remember the default settings anyway). But here is some helpful information on controlling the DDO UI to arrange it to you liking:

You can have up to 20 hotbars. You can control which of your 20 hotbars is selected with the up and down arrows on the right side of your primary hotbar. You can pop out the selected hotbar by clicking the arrow ont he left side of that bar. This will let you place multiple hotbars on your screen at once. It is a good idea to remember which ones you have popped out (for later, when we talk about mapping hotkeys). Further, you can orient the hotbars vertically by clicking the turn arrows on each bar; you can click and drag them wherever you like.

The tabs on the general chat bar (party, guild, combat, etc) can be dragged out and set up as separate windows. Additional tabs can also be added, if you're using user channels (I'm not covering this either, ask if you want someone to explain, I'm not very good at it).

For example, by clicking on the combat tab and dragging it out, you can produce a separate window with your combat text. You can place and resize that window as you so choose. Further, the small eye icon in the corner of the window (which is also in the corner of the quest objectives window) will make a window transparent: in the case of quest objectives, only the white objective text will remain (floating on your screen), and with chat windows, they will completely disappear unless there has been recent activity. Placing your combat log and then activating transparency will cause it to completely vanish unless you are in combat (when it will display transparently, with jus the text scrolling through it, not opaque).

The eye icon itself as well as the bar into which you can type text will always remain visible, even in transparent setting.

The focus orb has the same eye icon; it will condense the orb to not show the large graphic version of what you have selected and just its text name. Many people prefer this to free up screen space.

---

The Configuration Controls

Here we will deal with three sections of the options menu: UI Settings, Mouse/Gameplay and Key Mapping.

The mouse section is extremely straightforward, though I'll give the gameplay window a moment more: There are several settings here that players might be interested in, and a couple are combat-related (click/attack functionality). If you're looking for that setting elsewhere and can't find it, its because its under gameplay.

The UI settings tab will allow you to control almost every setting regarding the UI. A commonly used setting is 'lock icons to shortcut bar' which will make it harder (but not impossible, dont ask me why) to move shortcut bars or remove icons from them (placing new icons over old ones remains possible). It will also remove (until unchecked) all the rotational controls, removing some screen clutter.

There are many other checkboxes here that you can customize based on your preference: everything from displaying skill cooldowns in the shortcut bar (very handy) to turning off the soft targetting systems (preferred by some) to your hint / party settings.

Further down, you'll find the ability to change the color of the dice displayed on your die roll (you'll see this any time you make an attack, save or skill check, and its just cosmetic). You can also change your chat fonts here. Below that is color customization: First, the customized color for your incoming chats and messages and guild/party channels.

Below that is the combat feedback section: it has its own series of toggle settings, primarily to allow you to turn off certain kinds of combat feedback if you wish to reduce your spam in the combat log, or to remove or change the appeareance of floating damage/effect numbesr in play. You can also change the colors for all these displays here.

At the very bottom, below all the colors, is the User Skin setting, which we'll review last.

The Key mapping tab will allow you to remap pretty much every single keypress in DDO if you wish; players who wish to play almost solely with the mouse, or not at all, should give this section a lot of attention. The only thing that does not remap properly is control+s for the in-game store; it remaps itself constantly for some reason. If you're having any kind of issues with combat controls, you should go here.

Included here is the ability to set hotkeys for every one of the 10 slots on each of your 20 hotkey bars; you can have up to 200 individual instant-press actions, even ones that are set that you do not have displayed on your screen. If you want to play with more than one hotbar, check this area of the key mapping out immediately! if you remember which windows you popped out, you can quickly map your 2nd bar to alt+1, alt+2, etc. Just be careful not to map over existing controls, like shift (block) and shift+1: you'll block momentarily every time you hit your hotkey, which might not be good.

UI Skinning:

I am not an expert on UI Skinning. If you ask me how to do it exactly, I will direct you to the forum and associated guides. If you ask me how to create one, I will stare blankly at you. What I can do is tell you what UI skinning does.

UI skins for ddo change the display of almost every part of the UI; they can change the icons, the colors, the shapes of windows and displays, window profiles, and et cetera. Most created skins tend to reduce the footprint of the UI: smaller borders, smoother edges, and generally a cleaner look. Even many long-time players are unfamiliar with this feature, and do not capitalize on it, and it can go a long way to making ddo more aesthetic and cleaning up more of your screen for visuals.

My personal recommended skin is the DDO Lite red/black scheme, but you will find many good skins in the forum, as well as good directions to download and install them. If you're having any sort of issues with your UI display or wish something was different, check out the Skins forum and you might find something that can fix the problem for you.

LeslieWest_GuitarGod
09-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Awesome thread idea.

I think the most useful tip I've given out to new players and veterans alike is to change the kill color to a different color. I chose to change it to cyan.

Now, I can see if I got the kill without stealing a glance at the kill count (by clicking x, and "eying-over" to the kill count). Much easier/more fluid to just see the K.O. blow right above the monsters head.

Junts
09-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Awesome thread idea.

I think the most useful tip I've given out to new players and veterans alike is to change the kill color to a different color. I chose to change it to cyan.

Now, I can see if I got the kill without stealing a glance at the kill count (by clicking x, and "eying-over" to the kill count). Much easier/more fluid to just see the K.O. blow right above the monsters head.

This is a really good idea, since the default kill color is the same as the default regular damage color.

Corwin777
09-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Simple question that I haven't seen answered anywhere yet, though I could have missed it. Is there a key to collect dropped stuff from barrels and crates? Sometimes with things like bolts or arrows, finding the hotspot for the grab hand takes ages. Thanks in advance.

QuantumFX
09-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Simple question that I haven't seen answered anywhere yet, though I could have missed it. Is there a key to collect dropped stuff from barrels and crates? Sometimes with things like bolts or arrows, finding the hotspot for the grab hand takes ages. Thanks in advance.

Tab to “Target” the item.
U to “Use” (or pick up) the item.

Corwin777
09-15-2009, 02:30 AM
Great, that will certainly be useful. Thanks again.

Artis_Resistance
09-15-2009, 06:10 AM
A link to the UI Skin forum in this thread would be awesome.

jesterrogue
11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
yes a link to skins forum would be nice im going to search for it now

Cap_Man
11-03-2009, 10:49 AM

I thought it was 'Backspace' to target items dropped from crates and barrels. Or is that another mapping option?

Junts
11-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought it was 'Backspace' to target items dropped from crates and barrels. Or is that another mapping option?

It is; tab puts hard-target on mobs so you wont lose your selection on them if you face away from them; its pretty important.

Polarkin
11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Gods.... Bless.... You !

Just the information I've been looking for and struggling to do on my own (in particular the hotbars... it's hard to run, hold down the cntl key, scroll the mouse wheel accurately to the hotbar I need, then press the button I want all at the same time without getting creamed by the bad guys)

+rep from me

Arcanecantrips
11-04-2009, 01:09 PM

You can also use "E", to pick up items with out needing to target them.

Noctus
11-04-2009, 03:40 PM
A link to the UI Skin forum in this thread would be awesome.

Your will is my command. (http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/index.php)

FarOutFish
11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
WELL DONE I wish I had seen this presentation when I first started in BETA.

Varidon
11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Very informative..

+rep from me ( if I could anyway ;) )

PROTOTYPExl
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
hey if someone can post the links for jerrys hotkey bar downloads that would be great thank you!

HeatherCeana
03-27-2016, 02:08 PM
I accidentally hid my quest tracker. Does anyone know how to re-activate that? I tried going into the quest journal and clicking track on a quest at my location, but I cannot get that bar on the right side to come back.

Thanks!

Heather Ceana

Trílesch
03-27-2016, 02:26 PM
What would be nice is Turbine get of the butts and add some new API to the game for us modders LOTRO has tones of stuff over the past year but DDO not even sniff.

cdbd3rd
03-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I accidentally hid my quest tracker. Does anyone know how to re-activate that? I tried going into the quest journal and clicking track on a quest at my location, but I cannot get that bar on the right side to come back.

Thanks!

Heather Ceana

Look for a small 'eyeball' icon near where the top right corner was.

santiago66
03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Does a skin also change the keymappings?

If not, are there any keymapping files that could be shared to quickly convert the default to a keyboard-only mode of play?

Stoner81
03-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Does a skin also change the keymappings?

If not, are there any keymapping files that could be shared to quickly convert the default to a keyboard-only mode of play?

Skins only change the visual appearance and have nothing to do with the key bindings, for those you are better off going through them yourself so you can set them up exactly how you want them to be.

Stoner81.

santiago66
03-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks. I'm a bit confused over the terms used in the key mappings. Does anyone have a nice explanation or even a keymap file for keyboard-only play? I'm struggling to create a set-up that works in all situations.

rlarge
03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
nice! tagging this so I can find it later.

DarkThoughts
08-19-2017, 08:37 AM
It's been a while (2 years?) since I really played DDO but recently started again and have two questions.
1. How do I change my health/mana/ki party bar icon to show the amaller class icon instead of the bulbous character portrait? I am having the problem on a Dragonborn so maybe its a known issue? Or more likely, I am just missing something somewhere. Solved: Found it in UI settings. Show Portrait and Use Small Vitals Bar to set it up the way I wanted.
2. How do I change the camera rotation keys? My Alt+Mouse Wheel Click isn't working for some reason on my Razer Naga and I tried to find the option to change it under Camera key bindings but didn't see anything about camera rotation.