PDA

View Full Version : Q for Sirgog on his cleric builds

dbrowdy
09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Since I can't reply to the post in his signature, I'm asking here. I wanted to make an Offensive Casting Cleric to see how it played. I am trying to set my starting stats using his guide and I can't get the numbers that he specifies:

Typical starting stats (28 point build/32):
Str 10/14
Dex 8/8
Con 14/14
Int 10/10
Wis 18/18 (Level up points here)
Cha 12/12

What class are you for this build? I can't do it with a human...

Anthios888
09-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Looks like he's a human. To do it without 32-point builds, drop cha to 8 and you have a great character for yourself. I can strongly recommend this style of cleric.

seldarin
09-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Howdy mate, the build he listed is for any race, im thinking he may have gotten the numbers slightly out of whack though.

With a 28 pt build, numbers are supposed to be:

Thing is that if you went drow for example, points in Con are going to cost more. WF, Cha is going to cost more, etc.

If i have crunched my numbers correctly, the above point build for a human equals 30 points, when you only have 28. Please correct me if i am wrong, but thats how it looks. In order for this to work im thinking the following numbers are supposed to be:

Negative dex isnt an issue, you dont want to start with anything under 14 Con and Cha IMHO isnt that important.

My Human cleric that i have recently made as a 32 pt build, my second cleric only has 8 Cha, because i dont really care about DVs etc. He has UMD, but not that big a deal.

I cant remember his stats off the top of my head, but something like

Numbers a bit out, but you get the gist of what i mean for a 32 point build.

He does offensive casting, mostly bb and cometfall, utilises Greater command and destruction.

I believe that SirGogs offensive cleric is actually Dwarf.

dbrowdy
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful. Hopefully Sirgog will see this and update his post. :)

seldarin
09-14-2009, 10:13 PM
My first cleric, which i still run is a 28pt human and i made him what i deemed to be versatile, ie not really a master of anything, but could do most things average.

Started with no stats below 10, didnt want negatives, didnt max wisdom, started with 16, from memory stats were:

In hindsight, wouldve dropped charisma, but back then when the game started you could actually turn/destroy undead and thats what i thought being a cleric was all about, as well as healing. As time progressed and destroying undead became harder to do, (turbine upped the saves/dcs), unless you had 30 Cha, i basically used Cha for DVs and that was all. Used to have 17 or so, now dropped back to bare minimum of 9.

Unless you are going splash of sorc for extra spell points, or splash anything that involves charisma IMHO its a dump stat. With the advent of mana pots, DVs i believe are a thing of the past and you can use the enhancement points for other more beneficial things. Everyone has their own views, so dont take mine as the way to go, its what works for me.

On a cleric, your mana and dcs are governed by your wisdom, so thats pretty much where you should go. Hitpoints are important for surviveability so i would make that second primary, 14-16 is a must i believe. Dex take it or leave it, Int gives extra skill points, so good if you are multiskilling as clerics have bugger all class skills. Str means you wont get too weighed down carrying all your loot, i wouldnt recommend 8 Str, but it works for some.

If you can end up with something like:

Str 10-12
Dex 8-10
Con 14-16
Int 10-12
Wis 18
Cha 8 or whatever

That should see you clear on most builds. If you want more Str, then maybe drop Int, or drop Wis to no lower than 16. IMHO, Human is a very good choice for versatility as it offers additional feat at creation, additional skill point every lvl and you have a couple of handy enhancements in Human adaptability (you can boost 2 seperate abilities by 1 each, if you take both enhancements) and Human Versatility which gives you up to +5 to all skills for 20 seconds. Dwarf is another good choice as it has Con enhancements and all has a dwarven spell point enhancement which stacks with the cleric one. WF for immunities and Con, halflings for dragonmark healing, etc, etc.

Hope some of this helps a bit.

Aranticus
09-14-2009, 10:51 PM
do check out the nuker cleric in the newbie template thread :)

Junts
09-15-2009, 12:31 AM
drop the cha and take the points in strength - 14 str 14 con 18 wis human is an excellent cleric for offensive casting, healing, and support melee with a vorpal weapon (and effective low-level melee, you will be great at whacking skulls with any weapon until level 8 or so)

Lasica
09-15-2009, 12:37 AM
do check out the nuker cleric in the newbie template thread :)

Using that template or a variation of it for my elven cleric. Very nice so far, soloing everything with ease.