PDA

View Full Version : Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss!

Izztyrr
09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Vendui riluss,

I must be doing it wrong. I'm a level 4 halfling rouge dark blade and I'm using rapiers. When I get in a fight with NPCs my weapons constantly miss. As a result I'm getting killed a lot.

Is there something I can do to become more accurate?

Bel'la dos

Izztyrr

KoboldKiller
09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I assume by using rapiers you have a high dex? Did you take weapon finesse? Also as I recall until you get farther up in levels and have a higher to hit dual rapiers is giving you a -4 to hit as it is not a small weapon in the off hand. At level 4 your to hit would be low thus causing your misses. try putting a dagger in your off hand instead. Also check on your character sheet what it shows on your to hit number with certain combos equipped.

uhgungawa
09-14-2009, 04:31 PM
if you're dex based, weapon Finesse feat is a must. Uses your dex for to hit bonus instead of str.

Vahyor
09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Moving while attacking will give you a -4 to hit.
Using a non-light weapon in your off hand gives you a -2 to hit.
Two-weapon fighting, especially without the feats, gives negative to hit.
If you don't have weapon finesse and have more dexterity than strength, you lose to hit.

These penalties can add up, especially on a class that has 3/4 base attack bonus to start with.
Try using a shortsword in your offhand, or forgo the off-hand completely for now until you can hit more reliably.
Try standing still while flanking the monster(+2 bonus), using a hireling or other party member to draw the attention away from you. (Sneak attacking will give you extra to-hit as well). If you don't have weapon finesse and are dex-based, make sure that is taken as soon as is convenient.

andreascott89
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Not sure the problem, but here are some possibilities:

-STR determines your +to-hit unless you have weapon finesse and then it is max (STR, DEX). This is probably the problem since halflings have a STR penalty.

-If you are moving you suffer -4 to hit. Try to rotate instead of moving around if possible

-Dual weilding involves a penalty to hit even if you have the TWF feat. The penalty is -4 unless the offhand weapon is light and then it is -2. Generally not a great idea to dual weild until later when your +to-hit can handle the penalty.

-If you are missing only on particularly tough bad guys (e.g. some skeleton knights have really high AC for their level), that is to be expected. Temporary boosts to to-hit can help out in these cases (consider spending action points for a temporary boost to your attack bonus).

JS

ArkoHighStar
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
OK just looked at the dark blade build which is high dex weapon finesse TWF

18 dex starting stat

lvl 1 feat TWF
lvl 3 feat Weapon finesse

The only thing I can think of that could be affecting you to hit is if you are dual wielding rapiers, which negates the TWF feat bonus, you need to be wielding a light weapon in your off hand, try a short sword or a dagger. The other common penalty you can get is swinging while moving, you get a negative -4 to hit if you attack while moving, so stand your ground and watch your combat log

Also check your encumbrance on your inventory screen, you need to have it at light otherwise you will take another penalty. Which means either sell some heavy loot or put it in the bank

poonce
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Would be more easy to figure out why you miss if you posted your Stats and Feat selection. :/

ArkoHighStar
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
For those trying to help here is the build

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Path:The_Dark_Blade_(Halfling_Profile)

rimble
09-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Get the Goggles of Insight from Korthos for +1 ToHit. Put together one of the sets from the quests there for another +2 ToHit.

I generally wait until I have Improved TWF to dual wield, but if you do it now at least use a Rapier/Short Sword, the Rapier/Rapier is imposing an additional -2 ToHit.

Use the Bracers from Korthos that cast Aid for another +1 ToHit. Get several of them.

ArkoHighStar
09-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Would be more easy to figure out why you miss if you posted your Stats and Feat selection. :/

He is using a Turbine predefined build see above for link to stats and feats etc.

Izztyrr
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I do have weapon finesse, Dex 19 +4, Str 12 +1. I'll get the goggles, try a short sword in the off hand and do some READING so I don't need to ask some many questions. Thanks again. You folks are AWESOME!

andreascott89
09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I do have weapon finesse, Dex 19 +4, Str 12 +1. I'll get the goggles, try a short sword in the off hand and do some READING so I don't need to ask some many questions. Thanks again. You folks are AWESOME!

I believe a guy named Wilm by the docks gives out the goggles quest.