PDA

View Full Version : Build Advice for a new player, please? :)

Feneril
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
So my friends and I have decided we'd like to give D&D Online a try. We're playing it similar to a D&D game: one night a week, just us in the group, with no tips, hints, or guides (or at least very minimal) so we have to figure out the dungeons and our strategies ourselves and suffer our foolish decisions.

My friends are playing a cleric (straight healing intent), a wizard, and a bard and we're all going with elves.

Now, my character I'd like a little help from the veterans with how to build them. I don't expect us to do anything hardcore in the long run, so unusual builds that fit the niche we need are welcome, even if they'd be horrendous for true end-game.

I'm planning a tempest ranger and have been thinking of adding some rogue in there. Mainly what I'd like to be able to do is the finding of traps and sneaking ahead to scout out the terrain for us, but also need to be able to get into the thick of things and act as a quasi-tank DPSish...thing since you've likely noticed we don't have one of the more traditional defensive types.

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Xyfiel
09-13-2009, 04:41 PM
A rogue1/rangerx would fit your party nicely. Go lawful good and leave the option of taking one monk later. Go to Ranger forums and look at the Exploiter build. It is one of the best and most versatile melee builds in DDO. It would be best if the Bard helps you kill to speed things up.

Lymnus
09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
For the Ranger, I suggest 18 Ranger/1 Rogue/1 Monk.
First level Rogue.
Second-Ninth level Ranger
Tenth level Monk
Rest Ranger

For the Bard, 18 Bard/2 Fighter isn't a bad choice. Take the first fighter level early, and the second fighter level around 10th. 14 Bard/6 Ranger isn't bad, either.

For the wizard, meh. Straight wizard is fine.

Cleric. Same deal. Straight cleric, or dip 2 levels into monk around 12.

Feneril
09-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the input all!

Aranticus
09-14-2009, 03:02 AM
read my threads :)

Arianrhod
09-14-2009, 08:11 AM
/winces at the all-elf/no-tank party :D

Just...take it slow, guys. And be nice to your cleric, they're going to have their work cut out for them ;)

tihocan
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I'd suggest to make a bard with decent melee ability, since your wizard can take care of cc.

Feneril
09-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Just...take it slow, guys. And be nice to your cleric, they're going to have their work cut out for them ;)

We'll be taking everything slow since we're doing the game "in character" and having no clue about any monsters or fights. It'll be a unique experience, but we'll be extra careful!

redraider
09-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Elves can tank quite nicely too! Just need to pump that AC!