PDA

View Full Version : Decided on a build, need advice pls

azumakazuma
09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I've decided to go with the rogue/paladin build I had seen on this thread:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=197069

I can't post on the forum it showed up on nor can I pm the poster of the build so I'm asking for help from whomever. Where should I consider putting my action points/enhancements on this build? I've noticed some builds have that info but unfortunately this one doesn't. also one of the responders recommended skimping on the healing dragonmark later and to opt for two weapon- or other fighting feats. Is this good advice for this build?

I'm mostly going to solo in game, on occasion (and when schedules permit) I will probably duo with my gf. Judging from previous gaming experience she will likely make some ranger variation.

And if this is in fact not a good choice at all for my first character by all means say so. I had been looking for a character that can kill mobs quickly (tried pure pally, it seemed a bit slow) but can also heal itself but I'm perfectly aware that in the end I'm basically closing my eyes and guessing :)

abull74
09-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Action points should be spent on whatever you want pumped up...goto the compendium and check out the paly enhancments to decide what you want...

This game is NOT a solo game.....there are few quests that you can solo...but as you gain lvls, you will be forced to party up, as the quest will have options that only a certain class or number of people can complete.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

DasLurch
09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
The class/mix you've chosen isn't a bad one. It will be hard for you to stretch your stats as a 28 point build a bit. That's just a general problem with Paladin and Rogues, because so many stats are important to each class. If you are planning on solo play or small groups most of the time, I would not hold off on the Dragonmarks. You will want your healing. It's a tough thing to build a solo "Style" character from the get go. Paladins are a bit rough to build as your fist character, and Rogues are probably the hardest class to build well off the bat.

As far as solo-ability goes, rangers and paladins are the top of the heap as far as melee classes go in that playstyle. I'd probably reccomend a ranged dragonmarked halfling archer type. He can use cure wands (free ability from being a ranger) will have dragon marks, will get any 2wf feats out there (free class feats), and can use a variety of different combat options this way (plink mobs down at range, and finish them off up close hand-hand). Plus rangers also get some of the nicest support spells out there. Barkskin for AC, Resists for energy type damage, movement spells to keep you one step ahead of the enemies, and some cure spells too. 2 Rangers are a nice duo for playing thru many of the games dungeons. Good Luck and I hope I didn't just throw your whole post off the mark.

cm2_supernova
09-13-2009, 03:58 PM
IMO...a good soloable class to play for new player would be a fighter\cleric combo. Self healing, good DPS and viable for play at high levels.

Maybe something like this (Ill just go to level 3 for now):

Starting Stats (28 pt):

STR: 16
DEX: 10
CON: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 14
CHA: 6

Take the first level as cleric, the second as fighter, then cleric the rest of the way. Feats should look something like this:

1: Maximize Spell
2: Toughness
3: Extend Spell

If you pick up a +1 intelligence tome you can take Combat Expertise for extra AC.

Enhancements are really up to you...read them, play around, and see what works best for your playstyle.

Vormaerin
09-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Ranger and Rogue compliment themselves better than Ranger and Paladin. Well, assuming you are actually looking to do trap stuff. If you just want to be able to dodge fireballs better (the main reason to mix rogue with paladin), then it doesn't matter of course. A good duo combination would be Ranger/Rogue and Cleric/Paladin. You can both fight, both heal, and your gf will be able to deal with traps. You'll be able to buff and do some adequate crowd control and spell damage.

tihocan
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Don't worry too much about spending action points because they can easily be reset for a small fee. You can fix your mistakes later when you have a better idea of the game mechanics :)